Posting for a friend, he's deciding between Ryerson and Ottawa - he was accepted to Ryerson back in February but recently got into Ottawa. He would like to pursue real estate law as well as is interested in corporate law! He doesn't care for the location but hopes to work in the GTA.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and forward it over to him! :) 

Ryerson is a complete question mark at this stage. I would go to Ottawa. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, legallyillegal said:

Posting for a friend, he's deciding between Ryerson and Ottawa - he was accepted to Ryerson back in February but recently got into Ottawa. He would like to pursue real estate law as well as is interested in corporate law! He doesn't care for the location but hopes to work in the GTA.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and forward it over to him! :) 

I do not think that Ryerson has any strengths in real estate law or corporate law currently. Go to Ottawa.

Ottawa was founded in 1953 and Ryerson in 2019. Go to the proven and established institution. 

58 minutes ago, Deadpool said:

Ottawa was founded in 1953 and Ryerson in 2019. Go to the proven and established institution. 

Ford was founded in 1820 and Apple was founded in 1976.

15 minutes ago, Trew said:

Would you buy an apple product in 1976? Probably not. 44 years later in 2020 maybe. Bad analogy. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Trew said:

A Ford (truck) can carry tons of Apples😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If he wants to work in the GTA he should go to Ryerson. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yeah going to Ottawa for the "prestige" is pretty funny to me

18 minutes ago, Constant said:

If he wants to work in the GTA he should go to Ryerson. 

Why? All of my friends who went to Ottawa work with me in the GTA.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Trew said:

Ryerson is not Apple and you’re the first to bring up “prestige.” 

Absent unique circumstances (must live in GTA during law school, for example), nobody should go to Ryerson over any other Ontario school except for perhaps Lakehead, especially this year.

Think networking is going to be hard with an online 1L? Try doing it when there are zero grads in the profession. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, easttowest said:

Ryerson is not Apple and you’re the first to bring up “prestige.” 

Absent unique circumstances (must live in GTA during law school, for example), nobody should go to Ryerson over any other Ontario school except for perhaps Lakehead, especially this year.

Think networking is going to be hard with an online 1L? Try doing it when there are zero grads in the profession. 

I would go to Ryerson, big fan to say the least

Edited by Trew
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Trew said:

Yet, Ryerson law will not produce the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Canada within one hundred years.

Edited by ArchivesandMuseums
Editing

2 minutes ago, ArchivesandMuseums said:

Yet, Ryerson law will not produce the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Canada within one hundred years.

Ok there, Chief

• Like 1

Ottawa, hand down. Ryerson has no alumni network, no connections on Bay street, and no reputation yet.

• Like 3

Since the friend would know by now which school they are attending (since the Ryerson acceptance would have gone firm yesterday, unless replaced with the Ottawa one),  further advice, including some of the silly comments here, isn't really useful.

These kinds of decisions are always going to be affected by personal circumstances, primarily.  Things like alumni network, connections to Bay St, reputation, possibility of a grad becoming a SCC justice, ridiculous ideas of prestige, are really not at all primary factors that most prospective law students should be considering when deciding on a law school.

And, in case anyone is still wondering, there are lots and lots of U of O grads working in the GTA. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, erinl2 said:

Since the friend would know by now which school they are attending (since the Ryerson acceptance would have gone firm yesterday, unless replaced with the Ottawa one),  further advice, including some of the silly comments here, isn't really useful.

These kinds of decisions are always going to be affected by personal circumstances, primarily.  Things like alumni network, connections to Bay St, reputation, possibility of a grad becoming a SCC justice, ridiculous ideas of prestige, are really not at all primary factors that most prospective law students should be considering when deciding on a law school.

And, in case anyone is still wondering, there are lots and lots of U of O grads working in the GTA. 

This did send me down a fun rabbit hole of how many SCC Chief Justices each school has contributed during the Court’s history. 

The obvious takeaway from my research is that if you want to be the CJ of the SCC, you should: (i) preferably, never go to law school and simply read for the bar; (ii) if (i) is not an option, attend, in order: (a) Laval; (b) Osgoode; (c); Montreal; (d) McGill (e) Manitoba; (f) Alberta; (g) Ottawa.

Since past performance is obviously predictive of future success, I think the only logical thing to do with this information is take it as incontrovertible proof of distinctions between law schools and to adopt the above as a comprehensive ranking of Canadian law schools.

We should also consider disbanding U of T’s law school, seeing as it charges so much money while offering a literally zero percent chance of ever becoming the CJ of the SCC.

[More seriously, it actually was interesting to learn about which schools have produced which justices, though obviously it’s meaningless.]

• Like 1
  • Haha 3