Aryaa

Which schools put more than or equal to a 50-50 weight on LSAT over GPA

I'm a splitter (low GPA, high LSAT) and would appreciate if you guys could drop in and tell me which schools value LSAT more or just as much as GPA, and which schools place more value on GPA.

Bonus: what LSAT score do you think a 3.66 GPA person should have if they want to apply to UBC and Dal primarily? (just wanted to see what you guys think :D)

Thanks so much!!

31 minutes ago, Aryaa said:

I'm a splitter (low GPA, high LSAT) and would appreciate if you guys could drop in and tell me which schools value LSAT more or just as much as GPA, and which schools place more value on GPA.

Bonus: what LSAT score do you think a 3.66 GPA person should have if they want to apply to UBC and Dal primarily? (just wanted to see what you guys think :D)

Thanks so much!!

Most Canadian law schools tend to consider GPA and the LSAT equally.

Schools that tend to prefer GPA to the LSAT are: Osgoode and uOttawa law.

If you have a cGPA of 3.66 (the OLSAS scale), you need an LSAT score of 164+ to be competitive for UBC law; or an LSAT score of 160+ to be competitive for Dal law.

Good luck!

• Like 1

3.66 isn't a low GPA lol. You will be fine for Dal and likely UBC if you think your LSAT score is high enough that you're considered a splitter.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2020 at 7:15 AM, ArchivesandMuseums said:

Most Canadian law schools tend to consider GPA and the LSAT equally.

Schools that tend to prefer GPA to the LSAT are: Osgoode and uOttawa law.

If you have a cGPA of 3.66 (the OLSAS scale), you need an LSAT score of 164+ to be competitive for UBC law; or an LSAT score of 160+ to be competitive for Dal law.

Good luck!

Dal is an L2 school

I was a splitter as well and can maybe provide some insight. My cGPA was calculated by OLSAS as being 3.34 (I blame calculus) and I got into UBC first-round with a 168 LSAT. That being said, UBC calculated my cGPA as being 84% (A-) so your GPA can really vary depending on who's calculating. I find UBC to be very generous with their GPA calculations.

I can't speak to Dal as I did not apply, but UBC considers LSAT/GPA/Essay equally: 33/33/33. If your LSAT+GPA score is high enough, they won't read your essay and will auto-admit you (this happened to me). I spoke with the admissions department extensively during my application cycle and so I know a fair bit about the process. Feel free to DM me if you have questions.

Hope this helps!

On 7/1/2020 at 5:31 AM, Aryaa said:

Thanks so much!!

• Like 1

Based on UBC's phrasing, it seems they only count the credits put towards your degree (for example, if you did college or another program and dropped out, those may not be included). They also drop a certain amount of your lowest classes depending on if you apply with 3 or 4 years under your belt. Best of luck to you!

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 6:49 PM, stk2 said:

Based on UBC's phrasing, it seems they only count the credits put towards your degree (for example, if you did college or another program and dropped out, those may not be included). They also drop a certain amount of your lowest classes depending on if you apply with 3 or 4 years under your belt. Best of luck to you!

Hi, where on their website does it say this? I'm actually taking some post-degree courses this coming school year; is that basically going to be a waste since it won't be towards a degree? (My first degree was in engineering, which I completed last year and didn't get a good gpa in).

3 minutes ago, LawGurll said:

I'm actually taking some post-degree courses this coming school year; is that basically going to be a waste since it won't be towards a degree? (My first degree was in engineering, which I completed last year and didn't get a good gpa in).

Unfortunately yes, based on what it says here:

http://www.calendar.ubc.ca/vancouver/index.cfm?tree=12,207,358,326

In calculating the academic average, only those years of undergraduate study making up the first undergraduate degree that are complete at the time of deadline for application are considered

• Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 2:15 PM, LawGurll said:

Hi, where on their website does it say this? I'm actually taking some post-degree courses this coming school year; is that basically going to be a waste since it won't be towards a degree? (My first degree was in engineering, which I completed last year and didn't get a good gpa in).

@meandtheboys came through with the citations. I'd liken those classes to post-grad work which aren't typically counted. UBC has an equation that helps direct acceptance predictions somewhere on here, I'd try to find that to figure out a good LSAT score. Keep in mind a 3.66 isn't bad at all, a 3.7 is fairly average, AND UBC drops your 4 lowest classes if you apply with a 4 year degree (as in 4 half year courses or 2 full year classes), which may help your GPA as well.

4 hours ago, lilsebastian said:

I believe UNB is 60% CGPA (after lowest 12 credits dropped) and 40% LSAT.

Dalhousie as well, except with last two years as a model