mrblue

Osgoode Chambers

Hey guys,

I'm planning to live in res as I live across the country, and I'm a little concerned they still haven't sent out offers for residence yet. I applied late (3 weeks ago), and I'm worried that I might not get a place, perhaps because they might choose to have some rooms vacant... I contacted york housing but they keep saying that they have to wait for the coronavirus task force to give them the go ahead before they send out offers for rooms.

Anyone have insight, advice or additional info on this? we're only a month out from august and I'm stuck :( 

There aren't a lot of details and nobody has been offered anything yet, including the students who applied in January. You're fairly far down the list since they go by date of housing application, but we don't know what this year will look like. They last indicated offers would start "in early July". Some won't want to move for the Fall semester. Some are looking for alternate accommodations either to be in a more enjoyable location (as classes will be remote) or because they don't know if they'll ever get an offer. On the other hand, we don't know if they'll have a restricted number of units this year -- which doesn't make a lot of sense as they are individual apartments, yet they've hinted a few times about the limited inventory to suggest some may not get offers (who knows, they may shuffle people from the reduced capacity dorms into the Passy apartments, possibly including Osgoode Chambers, if needed -- anything is possible). 

On my application I indicated a preferred move-in date of July 15, as I need to get settled in advance of work obligations in August. I followed up with the housing people by email twice and both times they said they didn't have finalized plans yet and to stay tuned. As we're now 2 weeks away from when I need to move across the country, I'll be living downtown instead :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrblue said:

Hey guys,

I'm planning to live in res as I live across the country, and I'm a little concerned they still haven't sent out offers for residence yet. I applied late (3 weeks ago), and I'm worried that I might not get a place, perhaps because they might choose to have some rooms vacant... I contacted york housing but they keep saying that they have to wait for the coronavirus task force to give them the go ahead before they send out offers for rooms.

Anyone have insight, advice or additional info on this? we're only a month out from august and I'm stuck :( 

I was a 2L transfer and I was able to get a  one bedroom at Passy  and i applied after the first week of July.

I thought 1L are guarantee a room.  The moving out may have been delayed for many current tenants due to Covid-19. 

Edited by Luckycharm
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, mrblue said:

Hey guys,

I spoke with housing, they said that everyone who applied will get their first or second choice. So while you may not end up in the Chambers wth your application being so late, you'll get either Passy or Assiniboine. Offers are expected to go out "early July", though they wouldn't clarify how early to me. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your responses, they've been very helpful. Turtles - do you think you/we need to move in and get set up before august 1st? (or is it because of your own personal circumstances) I thought moving in at the start of august would give us ample time to get set up.. 1st day of classes is august 29th? (I think?)

14 minutes ago, mrblue said:

Thanks for your responses, they've been very helpful. Turtles - do you think you/we need to move in and get set up before august 1st? (or is it because of your own personal circumstances) I thought moving in at the start of august would give us ample time to get set up.. 1st day of classes is august 29th? (I think?)

Personal circumstances. I'm working and have meetings to attend in Toronto in August. 

• Like 1