Commercestudent

Chances? (3.09 cGPA / 3.57L2 / 156).

The 156 was just the first practise exam i took before this new round of studying after a 8 month break. I previously took the lsat and got a 145 in Nov but only studied for a few months during school so i know i can do better once i dedicate myself. I want to know my chances of getting into a canadian law school with those potential stats and which law schools? I just graduated from a high ranking and tough business program and my first few years of school werent great. I also took a semester abroad which is why L2 is lower. I’d like to work in Vancouver or Toronto and work in Corporate law. I really want to know my chances and if i would get in / which schools i could get into and if it’s even worth studying for my lsat and applying. In first year i had a close family member pass away in second semester and second year a very close friend pass away and family issues which is why grades weren’t as strong those two years. I’m wondering if I could do the Other circumstances application with that. Thanks! 

So disclaimer, I'm a prospective law student just like you, but from doing research and from being on this forum awhile I can answer at least some of your questions.

You likely can improve your LSAT at least somewhat, which is good, and many schools will only look at your best score, so the previous 145 won't matter so much. The less pleasant news is your CGPA and L2 are low compared to the competitive averages at most schools. Law schools do NOT care what your undergrad program was, only your grades. You might be able to mention the rigorousness of the program in your PS, but that's it.

I can't speak as to whether an "other circumstances" application would be fit for you, but even if it was, it isn't a get out of jail free card - the schools still need something to compare against to show that you would be otherwise a competitive student if it weren't for the circumstances that affected you, and you don't appear to have that comparison. (Even one extra year of undergrad with a 3.7 or more would be helpful in this situation.) That being said, your L2 and a strong LSAT might give you a chance at some schools. Off the top of my head, Dal, Calgary, and UoA are L2. There are B2 or holistic schools that may also be worth looking into, but in any case, a 160+ LSAT is your best shot.

Edited by lh22
wrong info

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recent Posts

• Yea my bad majority was the wrong term to use. However, if the rest of the 1L class responded I do think it is likely that the majority consensus would still be in favour of moving to Kingston. 
    • Almost everyone in the group was marked as having "seen" the post (~220 people) but only 85 responded, so in line with what @ChiasticWalrus said, there are definitely many students not reflected in the poll. Maybe the majority of people are still undecided, and/or people were reluctant to respond that they were staying home because so few others did so? I know I'm still not fully sure what I'm going to do yet given the unpredictable nature of the virus
    • Thanks for chiming in, @Twenty. It's reassuring to hear that someone else had the exact same train of thought that I did. I also see the option to stay home as a unique opportunity instead of as an outright negative. I appreciate the insight regarding studying as well. I'm glad to hear that a good deal of success boils down to independent study and that most other "techniques for success" are still possible through online means. I've always sort of favoured that method myself, so I'm definetely feeling much better about staying home. All the best to you in the upcoming year.
    • This is actually really interesting. Do you know if the numbers are similar for 2Ls/3Ls? My blind guess is that a larger proportion of upper years are willing to remain at home (though I would not be surprised if the majority still prefer in-person). The reasoning is that 0Ls/1Ls are super keen to start law school and be on campus, while seniors are less so.  @ChiasticWalrus I'm not a Queen's student (I'm an incoming 2L at another ON school), but a reason why I opted to take online classes was because if there is a second wave, everything will move online anyways. I've experienced both in-person and remote law school classes, did the cost-benefit analysis, and felt more comfortable staying with my parents. In some regards, I saw the option of taking classes online and staying at home as an opportunity I should not pass up (for both health and financial reasons).   In terms of being (academically) disadvantaged, studying in law school is such an independent process (i.e. learning how to read, analyze, and apply case law is something you learn by yourself) that as long as you keep up with (most of) your readings, obtain/create good outlines, read Getting to Maybe before finals, give yourself enough time to do practice questions and analyze sample answers (I found it really helpful to do practice finals with classmates and discuss our answers - these can be done online), I don't think you will be at a disadvantage. In-person lectures are great because you can have interesting class discussions, but based on my first semester of law school, there was no correlation between how engaging a class was and the grade I got for that class. 
    • This does help, thank you! I can't afford 7sage right now, but I'll keep it in mind for the future. I'll also take a look at Manhattan. Much appreciated.