OrcaWhale7

I can't make a decision [TRU, Windsor Dual, or waitlists]

Hey everyone, I am struggling right now because I cannot make a decision on what law school I would like to attend next year and I am looking for some input. 

I have got accepted to Bora Laskin and Windsor (Dual Program), and I have recently got waitlisted at Ryerson and Ottawa. Tuition is not an issue for me (as I know some people will point to Windsor's Dual tuition). I am simply wondering which school is better for my career. While I do not have a clear path yet, I ideally would like to practice corporate law in the short term, and then shift my practice to human rights/international law. 

So I ask, do you think I should accept one of my offers (deadline July 2nd)? Or should I risk it and wait for Ottawa or Ryerson? 
I also have yet to hear from Queens, but given my stats, I don't think I stand a chance which btw are: 

CGPA: 3.38 

L2: 3.8 

LSAT: 152 (I know not so good)

Given these stats, what chances do I stand at Ottawa and Ryerson?

Anything helps! Thanks guys! 

Your stats are fairly low so I am not sure why you want to risk it and wait on Ottawa and Ryerson, when frankly speaking, I think you were fortunate to have even received two offers already. I am also not sure why you want to wait on a new school like Ryerson, as opposed to accepting an offer from already established schools like Windsor or Lakehead. 

Human rights and international law are more so academic fields of thought, rather than practicing areas of law (do a quick search on this forum of these topics and you will find lots of information). Human rights issues can come up in any area of law. I also would not be quick to assume that one can just do corporate law for a few years, then make the transition into human rights and international law. There are people who start doing this kind of work right from Day 1. I can't imagine a lot of human rights employers want to take on the person who has done nothing but corporate law.

If tuition is really not an issue for you, I would go with the Windsor/Detroit Mercy program. You have a higher chance of landing a Biglaw job out of Windsor than Lakehead (though the odds from both are still slim), and Windsor has more social justice and public interest opportunities. You can also do some interesting internships in the U.S. via the Detroit Mercy program. I would only pick Lakehead here if cost is an issue, you have an interest in Aboriginal Law, and/or you want to work in rural communities and Northern Ontario. 

• Like 3

Thanks for the reply. I am definitely fortunate to have done so well in this admission cycle. However, I also put a lot of effort in my application with with my EC's and there is also the LOR's. 

Again, I don't really have a clear path on what I want to do after law school. I will probably have a better idea when I get the legal education. I just say that to give you an idea of where my interests lie. 

On top of that, I imagine the legal business will transform given the increasing rates of globalization and the interconnectedness of society. Nonetheless, Ill take your advice and search the forums. 

Congratulations on your acceptances (and waitlists)! I echo the comments above.

It is extremely risky waiting after July 2nd holding out hope for the other schools. If cost isn’t an issue and you aspire to work in international law, then you should seriously consider the Dual program. I think at the very least start by researching both schools and both cities to see if you can picture yourself going there. There’s a great book I recently read: “Bridging the Law: 50 Years of Windsor Law”. You can find a PDF version on UWin’s website. It’s an informative book that provides detailed insight into the history of the Dual JD and their law school more broadly. I also strongly encourage you to research the curriculum, see what electives Windsor and Lakehead offer, check out the faculty bios, and identify clinics, clubs, and other opportunities to see what areas of practice are emphasized that align with your interests.

Ultimately, only you can make the best decision for yourself. But if you choose to gamble and you don’t end up going to law school this fall then you’ll have to live with the risk you took. Right now you have options, and that’s a good problem to have! Good luck.

• Like 1

If I were you, and tuition truly isn't a factor, I'd just accept Windsor Dual. I don't think Ottawa's reputation is all that much better than Windsor's, nor do I think that matters, and I don't understand at all why you'd hold out for Ryerson. 

You can always just leave the Detroit Mercy JD off your resume if you want to.

• Like 1