many2021

Law School Books format & appl stats

i am new to this forum and planning to apply to law school in 2020 or 2021

1. just curious if law school books come in e format. (sorry i have been out of college for a looooong time)

2. another question, is it possible to find out the actual number of total applicants in canada so i can find out the probability of each application will be accepted? I understand a lot of people applied to more than one. I cannot determine the numbers by just looking at each university  stats of total applications they received and how many was accepted.

3. is there anyone deter to apply for this year because of Covid? or want to apply this year because of this pandemic? just to see how competitive it will be. I did not have a great GPA and working on LSAT mature student.

any input is great. :) thanks

1.  You're too late for 2020.  Ontario applications are due Nov 1st and the latest I'm aware of elsewhere is Feb 28th for Dal.  There may be others with later deadline but certainly not now.

2. Yes, many books available from publisher in e-book format.  At least at Dal, all books also available at book store in hard copy which is what most people purchased.

3. Re: question about this year - moot point, since earliest you can apply for now is Sep 2021.  Schools have generally not allowed people to defer because of covid though I'd be willing to guess some who were accepted this year may have found other reasons to defer if they really want to attend first year in person.  Alternatively, it is a cheaper way to attend law school since you can stay home, assuming you would have otherwise had to travel to attend school.

Edited by 2019hopeful
  • Thanks 1

Something to note is that the actual % accepted will be higher (perhaps 2 times as high) at some schools because people get multiple offers, so it's not as simple as dividing the number of seats/number of applications. 

thank you 2019hopeful and lawCS. yes i meant for submitting the application this year for sept 2021.

after reviewing the stats, i think it is worth to give it a try. Hopefully there will not be a surge of applicants for this year.

• Like 1

During periods of economic recession and recovery like we are currently experiencing, a larger proportion of the public tends to pursue post-secondary and professional education. This is a result of mass layoffs and increased demand for employment.

Mass layoffs and increased demand for employment leaves access to avenues of socioeconomic mobility barred to many. As a consequence, pursuing post-secondary and professional education during an economic recession is commonly perceived as a means to enhance the relative competitiveness of one's application during employment searches or reduce chances of being laid off by increasing ones value to an employer. 

As you can imagine, a larger proportion of the public pursuing post secondary and professional education implicates admissions themselves become more competitive. You should be cognizant of the influence of the unique intra and international socio-economic circumstances we currently live on demand for post secondary and professional education, as such will impact the reliability of the data you are using to predict probability. 

I imagine the 2021 application cycle will be quite competitive, and with all due respect, rather than crunching past admissions numbers, I think your time would be better spent working to improve your grasp on the LSAT and thematically linking your previous work, extracurricular, and life experience for compelling portrayal in personal statements. 

Edited by LabouriousCorvid

yes i agree 100% working hard on LSAT.  Tuition is another big factor too especially when recession is coming. i will just go with the flow.