MayG

UK Law Schools - Schools that offer Canadian law modules vs ones that don't

My apologies if this has already been asked (please direct me to the correct forum if that's the case). 

I am currently applying to law schools in the UK. I was advised that only Bangor, Leicester, Birmingham, Southampton, Hertforshire and City offer Canadian law modules. Yet, I found that in quite a few forums, many individuals are posting about other law schools such as Essex, Kent, etc. 

My main question is: Is it worth going to a UK law school which does not offer Canadian law modules? Im assuming if I do apply to a school like Kent or Essex (which apparently has higher rankings than some of the other schools) I would have to write more NCA exams. Are there any law schools that don't offer these Canadian courses that are worth applying to?

Thanks in advance!

Take the time to first read through the ocean of information in this sub regarding the impediments of a foreign legal education in the Canadian job market. 

I cannot speak to your original question regarding Canadian modules, but I can assure you that no one in Canada will care about how these schools are ranked. To the legal market here, it's Oxbridge, LSE, and everything else. 

You have a decent GPA. Have you maximized your LSAT attempts? Don't think you will save time and money going the UK route. There are significant barriers foreign trained law students face in Canada with respect to the licensing process and securing articling and lawyer positions. 

• Like 3

Thanks for your response @Deadpool. Yes, I have been reading other forums and I do see that many people have advised against taking this route. 

To be honest, at this point I just want to apply before the deadlines and have that option open. Of course my goal is to get into a Canadian law school (which unfortunately hasn't been looking too promising) but I just want to keep this option open for now. 

When the time comes, Ill make a decision as to whether I want to wait another year and try again here. In the meantime, while I am applying I want to make sure that I have accurate information and make the right picks. 

You have 3.46 and 153. That was what I have when I applied and rejected by all schools back in 2011. (153 and 3.47)

If you can rewrite LSAT and get 7 points more, then you should have a better chance to get into a Canadian law school. 

Deadpool is correct about going to UK. Schools that offer Canadian law modules are intended to target and lure Canadian students. 

Are you applying for Sept 2020? If so, I would just apply to the ones you mentioned. 

If you're applying for Fall 2021 I would take the LNAT and try to get into UCL, King's, LSE, Oxbridge etc. But as the other people before me mentioned unless you're going to a top school in the UK there really is no difference between Leicester & Kent.

I am headed to the UK in the fall and have done extensive research about all the school you mentioned, msg me if you have any questions! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would say that if your intention is to come back to Canada then Leicester is the choice. Leicester offers at least 5 of the 7 modules with their Canadian law degree, which they have only recently created within the last 3 years or so I think. So essentially you could complete the 7 exams in one year. And only have to review new material for the 2 remaining modules. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/17/2020 at 10:27 PM, MayG said:

Thanks for your response @Deadpool. Yes, I have been reading other forums and I do see that many people have advised against taking this route. 

To be honest, at this point I just want to apply before the deadlines and have that option open. Of course my goal is to get into a Canadian law school (which unfortunately hasn't been looking too promising) but I just want to keep this option open for now. 

When the time comes, Ill make a decision as to whether I want to wait another year and try again here. In the meantime, while I am applying I want to make sure that I have accurate information and make the right picks. 

IMHO, you should do a lot of research in whether or not UK law school is actually a viable alternative. Don't just consider which schools offer Canadian modules (though you might want to ask yourself why UK schools offer Canadian content but Canadian law schools don't offer UK content). Think about what summer positions, articling, and getting called look like. How many more years and dollars are you adding? What are your employment expectations vs your prospects with a UK law degree?

There are a couple of ppl on this forum that have done it successfully; they have long, detailed threads about it where others got to ask questions and even challenge the narrative - please find those and digest them before applying.

My two cents: rightly or wrongly, those with UK law degrees as their first degree in law are seen as lesser than in the legal market; I've seen ppl with LLBs from Cambridge struggle on the legal market. I'm sure that person did OK eventually (I mean they have a fucking degree from Cambridge)  but I do know they didn't get an articling position with any of the firms we both interviewed at...

Edited by conge

7 hours ago, Coolsbreeze said:

I would say that if your intention is to come back to Canada then Leicester is the choice. Leicester offers at least 5 of the 7 modules with their Canadian law degree, which they have only recently created within the last 3 years or so I think. So essentially you could complete the 7 exams in one year. And only have to review new material for the 2 remaining modules. 

4 hours ago, conge said:

IMHO, you should do a lot of research in whether or not UK law school is actually a viable alternative. Don't just consider which schools offer Canadian modules (though you might want to ask yourself why UK schools offer Canadian content but Canadian law schools don't offer UK content). Think about what summer positions, articling, and getting called look like. How many more years and dollars are you adding? What are your employment expectations vs your prospects with a UK law degree?

There are a couple of ppl on this forum that have done it successfully; they have long, detailed threads about it where others got to ask questions and even challenge the narrative - please find those and digest them before applying.

My two cents: rightly or wrongly, those with UK law degrees as their first degree in law are seen as lesser than in the legal market; I've seen ppl with LLBs from Cambridge struggle on the legal market. I'm sure that person did OK eventually (I mean they have a fucking degree from Cambridge)  but I do know they didn't get an articling position with any of the firms we both interviewed at...

Thanks for your response @Coolsbreeze and @conge. I recently got accepted at a Canadian law school, and I have accepted the offer. Hopefully your advice helps someone else looking into UK schools. 

• Like 11

2 hours ago, MayG said:

Thanks for your response @Coolsbreeze and @conge. I recently got accepted at a Canadian law school, and I have accepted the offer. Hopefully your advice helps someone else looking into UK schools. 

that is excellent news, well done

• Thanks 1