aGirlwithaDream

Transfer 2020 Applications

5 hours ago, MRLindley said:

In this Morning

Compassionate Grounds. 3.92 1L GPA, 173 LSAT. Lets not talk about undergrad marks.......

Woohoooo! Congrats! I'm guessing your law school didn't implement a mandatory pass/fail this semester so you were able to use your 1L marks to get in- wish I could do the same!

Yeah it was optional pass/fail, and I did not take that option for any of them

I talked to the admissions office. Apparently I was one of, if not the first accepted. It helped I had a complete file it seems.

More offers will be coming later on and I it was implied they will continue into July as they normally do.

So don't worry the spots are not all full yet. And I am sure I will see some of you in the near future.

2 minutes ago, MRLindley said:

Yeah it was optional pass/fail, and I did not take that option for any of them

I talked to the admissions office. Apparently I was one of, if not the first accepted. It helped I had a complete file it seems.

More offers will be coming later on and I it was implied they will continue into July as they normally do.

So don't worry the spots are not all full yet. And I am sure I will see some of you in the near future.

Thank you so much for this info. Lots of us are waiting patiently to hear back from Osgoode- especially those of us applying on compassionate grounds. Wishing you all the best in your 1L year :)

EDIT: do you know how many spots are available for transfer? Did they mention that?

Edited by aGirlwithaDream

Sorry, no idea on number of spots. Given their will be more offers than just myself. I can say more than one... Not sure the upper limit 😂

2 minutes ago, MRLindley said:

Sorry, no idea on number of spots. Given their will be more offers than just myself. I can say more than one... Not sure the upper limit 😂

Ahh thats fair. How does it feel to be finally accepted? It feels like this transfer situation has been going on forever for me....lol

6 hours ago, MRLindley said:

In this Morning

Compassionate Grounds. 3.92 1L GPA, 173 LSAT. Lets not talk about undergrad marks.......

Did you apply to U of T too?

Yes, they had some issues about not having my letter of good standing for the past two days, which they did seem to have in the end.

So I went up for review on Thursday and not Tuesday, and was rejected the same day. I think they may have already filled up all of the spots. As they were "extremely limited".

I am really unsure why I was rejected given my stats. They may be favoring Undergrad marks due to COVID-19 and pass/fail being a thing this year. Honestly I dont know.

Edited by MRLindley
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, MRLindley said:

Yes, they had some issues about not having my letter of good standing for the past two days, which they did seem to have in the end.

So I went up for review on Thursday and not Tuesday, and was rejected the same day. I think they may have already filled up all of the spots. As they were "extremely limited".

I am really unsure why I was rejected given my stats. They may be favoring Undergrad marks due to COVID-19 and pass/fail being a thing this year. Honestly I dont know.

you got rejected from UFT with a 3.92 1L GPA? That is unbelievable 

Based on the number of transfer students I've seen at Oz in the last few years, there are around 5-10 spots. Most acceptances are merit based and the candidates had B+ and above in 1L. Every person I know that got in with compassionate grounds - who were typically mature students with spouse and kids in Toronto or a sick relative - had at least a B average in 1L. I do not think they would dip below a B- unless there was an exceptional reason to accept someone. Keep in mind that transfer spots only open up relative to the number of students who drop out (and maybe a few extra spaces may be created on top). They want to make sure that classes do not become overfilled.

https://www.osgoode.yorku.ca/programs/juris-doctor/jd-admissions/upper-year-exchange-applicants/transfer-letter-permission-applicants/

Only students who have obtained a minimum “B” average in their previous law study are considered for admission as transfer students (although successful applicants typically have at least a “B+” average).

I do not know how they will look at you if you have no 1L grades at all because that is unprecedented. But generally, even if you were applying with compassionate reasons, grades still matter. This year, I think they will really focus on undergraduate GPA and LSAT score as major factors in their decision-making. And frankly speaking, this makes it more challenging to get accepted as most law students had strong or above average grades in undergrad before they came to law school. 

If your undergraduate GPA and LSAT score are not competitive either, your compassionate grounds have to really move them to the point that they would accept you over all the other applicants applying with compassionate reasons, and who also have better stats than you do. 

As always, all other components of your application, including LSAT, undergraduate grades and personal statement remain relevant to our assessment of your application. There are no changes to the eligibility requirements, application procedure or deadlines.

In respect to U of T, the school has fewer transfer spots available than Osgoode, so I imagine you can count on one hand the number of people getting in. 

Edited by Deadpool

I spoke with an Admissions staff from UofT. They informed me that they have 20 transfer spots this year, like every other year. They informed me that they have rarely ever accepted 20 transfer students because 20 students have never met the criteria. I find that really interesting. Even though they have 20 spots, they won’t fill all of them up unless there are 20 applicants who are truly deserving. Don’t know if this is the case at Osgoode or not. 

I’m also interested to hear people’s thoughts on admissions looking at unofficial 1L midterms grades for transfer decisions. 

2 hours ago, TheAliciaFlorrick said:

I spoke with an Admissions staff from UofT. They informed me that they have 20 transfer spots this year, like every other year. They informed me that they have rarely ever accepted 20 transfer students because 20 students have never met the criteria. I find that really interesting. Even though they have 20 spots, they won’t fill all of them up unless there are 20 applicants who are truly deserving. Don’t know if this is the case at Osgoode or not. 

I’m also interested to hear people’s thoughts on admissions looking at unofficial 1L midterms grades for transfer decisions. 

Re: Midterm grades - my law school sent us a midterm grade chart that the LSO said would be used during OCIs. But this was before OCIs were pushed back to later this year so idk whether this is even useful anymore. I never submitted a midterm grade chart with my transfer app and idk about your schools but I only have final grades on my transcript (no midterm grades from December bc of school policy). EDIT: final grades meaning a final p/f to determine if we passed or failed the course

I'm surprised to hear that some Ontario law schools allowed for pass/fail to be optional because I was under the impression that it would be mandatory for every law school in ON. I wish my school let us do that bc I worked my a*s off this year and having final grades would have been a huge advantage

Edited by aGirlwithaDream

9 hours ago, Deadpool said:

Based on the number of transfer students I've seen at Oz in the last few years, there are around 5-10 spots. Most acceptances are merit based and the candidates had B+ and above in 1L. Every person I know that got in with compassionate grounds - who were typically mature students with spouse and kids in Toronto or a sick relative - had at least a B average in 1L. I do not think they would dip below a B- unless there was an exceptional reason to accept someone. Keep in mind that transfer spots only open up relative to the number of students who drop out (and maybe a few extra spaces may be created on top). They want to make sure that classes do not become overfilled.

https://www.osgoode.yorku.ca/programs/juris-doctor/jd-admissions/upper-year-exchange-applicants/transfer-letter-permission-applicants/

Only students who have obtained a minimum “B” average in their previous law study are considered for admission as transfer students (although successful applicants typically have at least a “B+” average).

I do not know how they will look at you if you have no 1L grades at all because that is unprecedented. But generally, even if you were applying with compassionate reasons, grades still matter. This year, I think they will really focus on undergraduate GPA and LSAT score as major factors in their decision-making. And frankly speaking, this makes it more challenging to get accepted as most law students had strong or above average grades in undergrad before they came to law school. 

If your undergraduate GPA and LSAT score are not competitive either, your compassionate grounds have to really move them to the point that they would accept you over all the other applicants applying with compassionate reasons, and who also have better stats than you do. 

As always, all other components of your application, including LSAT, undergraduate grades and personal statement remain relevant to our assessment of your application. There are no changes to the eligibility requirements, application procedure or deadlines.

In respect to U of T, the school has fewer transfer spots available than Osgoode, so I imagine you can count on one hand the number of people getting in. 

Thanks so much for your insight :) this was helpful 

Also waiting on a transfer decision for compassionate grounds! Good luck everyone

11 minutes ago, cfarr said:

Accepted June 22. 

2 hours ago, MSyed said:

Got accepted yesterday. 

Congrats!! Were you accepted on compassionate grounds or based on merit? 

20 hours ago, TheAliciaFlorrick said:

Has anyone heard anything? Do we think all acceptances have gone out?

7 minutes ago, aGirlwithaDream said:

Has anyone been in touch with admissions about when the rest of us can expect to hear back from them? 

I contacted them yesterday. They said that they plan on sending out a few offers this week, but the review process will continue for a few weeks.