benzilla9494

Fairness Issue with the Application Process!!!

14 minutes ago, Turtles said:

Ah, so they should reduce the length of the admissions cycle in half, yet review applications to the same extensive level of detail. Essentially you are asking them to double their admissions staff and staffing costs in order to meet an arbitrary deadline that confers, at best, marginal benefits to a very small number of people. That doesn't sound like a very efficient use of money. 

(And no, expecting them to work twice as fast isn't a realistic ask)

If u of t can manage, why can’t other schools be expected to as well? 

23 minutes ago, Turtles said:

Personally, I am thankful Osgoode's admissions is as thorough and holistic as it is. it would be a shame if they became more stats based and lost all that, just in an effort to shorten the admissions cycle to meet an arbitrary deadline of April 1. UofT doesn't even care to read any LORs.

Not reading LOR doesn’t mean it’s not holistic. I was waitlisted there with stats quite below the median lsat and gpa so I assume they must have taken the time to assess my whole application.  

10 minutes ago, ppzz said:

I am just wondering, maybe you could make no response to all current offers, or is it required to provisional accept an offer before July 1st?  If you make no response to all current offers and the offers are not expired, I think you might still be on wait-listed. I do not have any offers yet. Just wondering about the process. 

Offers expire if you don’t respond to them in the given time frame. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Pls said:

Not all schools look at winter grades anyway. If you knew ahead of time that your application stands as it was submitted in October you wouldn’t expect things that you do later in the year to impact your application 

I absolutely would, and did, and the fact that you think winter term grades don't matter, despite there being several L2 (years) schools is wilfully blind. So now that we've moved past that, let's also acknowledge that the students UofT accepts are very clear admissions by this point. You could have been one too, to be fair.

Edited by Trew

2 minutes ago, Pls said:

Offers expire if you don’t respond to them in the given time frame. 

I know, but the topic question is about provisional acceptance. If all offers expire after July 2 rd let's say July 15th. I am just wondering, could he/she make no provisional accept and keep the offer and waitlisted position till the expired date or it required to make provisional accept on or before July 2 rd. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, benzilla9494 said:

And my point still stands, the acceptance process shifts from law school's criteria to something that could be prevented with a little bit of adjustments to deadlines!

To echo @Tagger, get used to the fact that administrative decisions will not be made to accommodate solely those in your unique position. There are other stakeholders that will be harmed if Osgoode adopts your proposed adjustments; they are entitled to prioritize those interests (and rightfully so) over yours. I wouldn't want to see a school renowned for its thorough and holistic admissions procedures tighten deadlines to accommodate borderline-competitive applicants. At this juncture you have received two clear decisions, it is up to you to decide whether to "gamble" with your offer of admission or to accept it and move on. 

Edited by KidAyy
  • Like 2

At least you got waitlisted. Could’ve been worse. I got rejected before the waitlist even came out with a CGPA 0.35 higher than yours and basically the same LSAT score. I would’ve framed my waitlist letter had I gotten one haha

If many people have multiple offers near July 2rd, then why the admission commitment advisor said on the form the most wait-listed movement would happen before July 2rd not after. 

9 minutes ago, KidAyy said:

To echo @Tagger, get used to the fact that administrative decisions will not be made to accommodate solely those in your unique position. There are other stakeholders that will be harmed if Osgoode adopts your proposed adjustments; they are entitled to prioritize those interests (and rightfully so) over yours. I wouldn't want to see a school renowned for its thorough and holistic admissions procedures tighten deadlines to accommodate borderline-competitive applicants. At this juncture you have received two clear decisions, it is up to you to decide whether to "gamble" with your offer of admission or to accept it and move on. 

It comes down to realizing getting acceptance to law school is not solely dependant on your personal accomplishments and characteristics but it depends on some external factors that are out of your control. This is something I should wrap my head around. I think its not objective, but it is what it is.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

You got into Western which is a fantastic school. I would have no complaints at this point. 

U of T's admissions timeline is not a good example to use, because they receive fewer applications than most other law schools in Ontario (much less than Osgoode), and their admissions process is not nearly as comprehensive or holistic. It is still a stats-heavy school, so having a stats-heavy school (highest admissions requirements out of all schools in Canada) coupled with lower number of applications = tighter admissions timeline. The math works in favour of U of T. 

I went to Osgoode and keep in mind that the process is very holistic, and quite a few mature and aboriginal candidates, along with those with access claims (based on what they write in the personal statement), are given interviews. The process is a lot more comprehensive and holistic than U of T. 

Edited by Deadpool

Just now, Deadpool said:

You got into Western which is a fantastic school. I would have no complaints at this point. 

U of T's admissions timeline is not a good example to use, because they receive fewer applications than most other law schools in Ontario (much less than Osgoode), and their admissions process is not nearly as comprehensive or holistic. It is still a stats-heavy school, so having a stats-heavy school (highest admissions requirements out of all schools in Canada) coupled with lower number of applications = tighter admissions timeline. The math works in favour of U of T. 

I went to Osgoode and keep in mind that the process is very holistic, and quite a few mature and aboriginal candidates, along with those with access claims (based on what they write in the personal statement), are given interviews. The process is a lot more comprehensive and holistic than U of T. 

Please dont get me wrong. I am not complaining at all and am very grateful for the opportunity to study at Western. Im not even worried about myself, I just cant wrap my head around the application process not being solely about personal characteristics and accomplishments.  I just believe the way the deadlines are set moves away from the objective assessment that I thought would be in place when I started applying to law schools.

Maybe applied out of province as well, one of my friends accept school in other province and keep the wait-listed position as well. That's a clever choice I hope I did the same which i did not. 

18 minutes ago, Trew said:

I absolutely would, and did, and the fact that you think winter term grades don't matter, despite there being several L2 (years) schools is wilfully blind. So now that we've moved past that, let's also acknowledge that the students UofT accepts are very clear admissions by this point. You could have been one too, to be fair.

1. Osgoode is not a L2 school. 2. Western, which is a L2 school, states on their FAQ that they don’t necessarily include winter grades or even your fall grades if you’re applying in your final year of undergrad. 3. I was just making the point that u of t does actually read the applications of those who don’t necessarily have competitive stats 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Pls said:

1. Osgoode is not a L2 school. 2. Western, which is a L2 school, states on their FAQ that they don’t necessarily include winter grades or even your fall grades if you’re applying in your final year of undergrad. 3. I was just making the point that u of t does actually read the applications of those who don’t necessarily have competitive stats 

Ouu push back. Osgoode is a holistic school which still considers winter term grades. Western definitely looks at winter term grades; they asked me to forward them when I was on their waitlist. And UofT rejects uncompetitive applications in March, given their already competitive applications. Just accept this process is bigger than you lol

Western's FAQ states the following (the fact that you wrote "they don't necessarily include winter grades" in some deluded way to make a point is offensive to my sensibilities):

Does Western Law consider all undergraduate study, the best 2 years, or the last 2 years?
We consider all years of study and, as a general rule, applicants with strong cumulative averages will be preferred.  However, we will place greater weight on the last 2 years of full-time (or equivalent) undergraduate study in appropriate circumstances, typically where the cumulative average falls below 3.7. 

How will my GPA for my “Last 2” years be assessed?
We define your last 2 years of university as your last 20 semestered courses for which you were assigned grades.  (One year-long course counts as 2 semestered courses.)  Summer terms are included.  However, courses for which you received a Pass or Credit are not included, and we will not break up semesters. This means that if you did not take 5 courses per semester in your last 4 semesters of university, your “Last 2” may include academic terms that precede your third year of study (depending on your timeline and whether you were full- or part-time).  If you apply to law school in your final year of university, we are likely to include your Fall term in the calculation of your “Last 2” years OR we may defer our final decision until your winter term grades arrive and include your entire fourth year in the “Last 2” calculation.  This is a decision we make based on the strength of your academic record as a whole.

What if I take a fifth year to complete my degree or I take additional undergraduate courses after I graduate?  Will those courses count towards my “Last 2” GPA?
Yes they will.

Is it advantageous to take upper-year courses in third and fourth year or in post-degree work?
Yes. While taking first-year or second-year courses is not prohibited, greater weight is given to upper-year courses. 

Edited by Trew

1 minute ago, Trew said:

Ouu push back. Osgoode is a holistic school which still considers winter term grades. Western definitely looks at winter term grades; I was on their waitlist, and they asked me to forward them when I was on their waitlist.And UofT rejects uncompetitive applications in March, given their already competitive applications. Just accept this process is bigger than you lol

Ha, well don’t come for someone without even having the facts straight and not expect a response. I said Western doesn’t necessarily look at your winter grades which it clearly states on their site. Just because schools can/do look at winter grades as part of the admission process, does not mean it’s a necessary part of their application process. Perhaps different people would be accepted/rejected if they forewent this step, but it still doesn’t mean it’s necessary as admissions are inherently subjective anyway. UofT may very well have read the essays of these uncompetitive applications is my point. Obviously my situation is just an example. Given my acceptances I’m perfectly happy with the admission process I just appreciate the frustration of having to wait so long and potentially not hear back. Plenty of other professional school programs I.e. medical school and the rehab sci programs, provide all their applicants with decisions on the same day and thus have a much simpler waitlist experience. There are options. 

Just now, Pls said:

I said Western doesn’t necessarily look at your winter grades which it clearly states on their site. Just because schools can/do look at winter grades as part of the admission process, does not mean it’s a necessary part of their application process. Perhaps different people would be accepted/rejected if they forewent this step, but it still doesn’t mean it’s necessary as admissions are inherently subjective anyway. 

Know that your entire life won't be the LSAT. We can all read the FAQ, and after doing so, seeing you explain what necessary means demonstrates a petulant lack of judgment. Go google that definition to add to your expanding dictionary. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Trew said:

Know that your entire life won't be the LSAT. We can all read the FAQ, and after doing so, seeing you explain what necessary means demonstrates a petulant lack of judgment. Go google that definition to add to your expanding dictionary. 

Lol this comment says a lot more about you than it does about me. Glad you’re happy  western reviewed your winter grades 😉 

17 minutes ago, Trew said:

Ouu push back. Osgoode is a holistic school which still considers winter term grades. Western definitely looks at winter term grades; they asked me to forward them when I was on their waitlist. And UofT rejects uncompetitive applications in March, given their already competitive applications. Just accept this process is bigger than you lol

Western's FAQ states the following (the fact that you wrote "they don't necessarily include winter grades" in some deluded way to make a point is offensive to my sensibilities):

Does Western Law consider all undergraduate study, the best 2 years, or the last 2 years?
If you apply to law school in your final year of university, we are likely to include your Fall term in the calculation of your “Last 2” years OR we may defer our final decision until your winter term grades arrive and include your entire fourth year in the “Last 2” calculation.  This is a decision we make based on the strength of your academic record as a whole.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Pls said:

Lol this comment says a lot more about you than it does about me. Glad you’re happy  western reviewed your winter grades 😉

I ended up rejecting them the second time around ;) This comment says more about you than it does about me. Now go feel like the piece of shit Osgoode rightly waitlisted.

Edited by Trew

1 minute ago, Trew said:

I ended up rejecting them the second time around ;) This comment says more about you than about me! Now go feel like the piece of shit Osgoode rightly waitlisted.

Oufff

Just now, Trew said:

I ended up rejecting them the second time around ;) This comment says more about you than it does about me. Now go feel like the piece of shit Osgoode rightly waitlisted.

I’m in at osgoode. Was never on the waitlist. There was no need to come for my vocabulary? On an internet forum??? Or call me a piece of shit 😜

• Like 1