boggsn05

Out of Province Students

Hey, I was wondering what people from out of Province are thinking of doing for the fall? Are you moving? Waiting to see if the winter term is in person first?

Hey!  

First off, congrats for getting accepted to both of you! I look forward to studying with both of you! I was planning on moving to Saskatoon in time for the fall semester (coming from Alberta). Since everything is going to be online, I really debated whether or not I wanted to move, since I could save quite a bit of money living at home with my parents. But there are a couple of reasons that ultimately helped me decide to move. The first is that I really don't want to move in the middle of the winter in case classes are in-person in January. I have done that before, and it is miserable. The second is that, while courses will be online this semester, there may be some on-campus opportunities that become available as the semester unfolds. It is unclear right now how COVID-19 is going to affect the coming school year, but Saskatchewan has had relatively low cases compared to some other provinces. This might allow for opportunities to meet with Profs on campus or have access to the law library. If not, so be it, but the possibility makes it worth it to me.  

Edited by WSC09
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, WSC09 said:

Hey!  

First off, congrats for getting accepted to both of you! I look forward to studying with both of you! I was planning on moving to Saskatoon in time for the fall semester (coming from Alberta). Since everything is going to be online, I really debated whether or not I wanted to move, since I could save quite a bit of money living at home with my parents. But there are a couple of reasons that ultimately helped me decide to move. The first is that I really don't want to move in the middle of the winter in case classes are in-person in January. I have done that before, and it is miserable. The second is that, while courses will be online this semester, there may be some on-campus opportunities that become available as the semester unfolds. It is unclear right now how COVID-19 is going to affect the coming school year, but Saskatchewan has had relatively low cases compared to some other provinces. This might allow for opportunities to meet with Profs on campus or have access to the law library. If not, so be it, but the possibility makes it worth it to me.  

Thanks for the input. Yeah that all makes sense! I too struggle with paying for a place I do not technically need. 

Have you found a place yet? Are you going the way of apartment or residence?

7 minutes ago, boggsn05 said:

Thanks for the input. Yeah that all makes sense! I too struggle with paying for a place I do not technically need. 

Have you found a place yet? Are you going the way of apartment or residence?

For sure!  I am still looking.  I'm looking for an apartment, since my partner doesn't want to live in residence.  I'm planning on finding a place for August.  

Hey everyone! Excited to meet you whenever that happens. I am also out of province, but don't plan to move for September.

I'll be in Edmonton in case anyone else will be there and ever wants to meet up! 

• Like 2

Hello! I live in Calgary now and am still deciding what to do as well. Leaning towards moving for the same reasons @WSC09 mentioned. Excited to meet everyone :)

Edited by jaaa
  • Like 1

I currently live in Ottawa with my partner, and was planning on staying put for the fall semester.

That being said, prior to classes moving online in the fall, my plan was to apply for a place in residence to make the logistics of the move easier, but based on the information I can find online, it looks like that may not work for a January arrival. Assuming that residences are open to students for the fall semester, I'm considering applying for a room in a shared unit to at least keep it open as an option if on-campus activities become a regular occurrence (and just eat the cost if a move to Saskatoon isn't required).

Another complication is the fact I applied for the CCLF program, which would see me back in Ottawa for the second year of the program, making me hesitant to commit to longer term accommodation before a final decision is made.

Happy to hear any of your thoughts or suggestions!

I am in a similar situation! My partner and I are in Kingston (ON), and our lease isn't up until the Spring. Regardless, we will have to sort that out, but aren't sure of the best time to make the move. I'm so excited but also nervous about making the move in the Winter when it's so miserable out. Then again, an August move doesn't give us much time to sort out the details. Basically, we have no idea what we're doing haha. 

Edited by emily10claire

Hey all!

I'm super torn about what to do re: moving for the Fall. I thought I already made the decision to move, but then I read that the College will be letting us know in October about the Winter semester (i.e. online or not). So in the event that there is a second wave of the virus/the College decides against offering in-person classes, then I'd have moved for nothing and will be stuck with rent. 

What are your thoughts on this? Are you still moving for the Fall even if the second semester might still also be online?  

Looking forward to meeting you all soon :) 

Congrats on your acceptance!  I'm looking forward to having you as a classmate!  I am committed to going to Saskatoon this fall.  I noted a few reasons above as to why I want to go.  However, I realize that the choice to go is not one that everyone will need to, or want to do.  I really don't think there is a right or wrong answer here, but here are some of the things I thought about in making my choice

Rent - You can potentially save a lot of money on rent, especially if in person classes are cancelled for the year.  However that really depends on whether you have a place that you can stay.  For myself, I do have the option of staying with parents, but not everyone will, which means that you would be spending the rent money either way.

If you do have rent covered, will you be ok with the people you are staying with?  For me, while I COULD stay with my parents for a year, I probably wouldn't be able to do it.  I'm a little bit older, and worked in between my undergrad and law school admission.  I'm used to living on my own, and I think my relationship with my parents would be a lot better if we chose not to live together.  I think this would apply to any relatives or friends who might you live for free.  If you think that you will be able to make that work for a year, I would say go for it.  

Will you get lonely?  If you are moving to Saskatoon, do you have any friends or family out there?  As of this moment (and especially if the Winter semester is cancelled) I think it will be difficult to make friends in a new city, or any school friends.  I know that I have talked to a few people who are fairly committed to going, and I think we're going to try to arrange some in-person study groups if it's permitted, but that will be about it.  You could potentially be moving to a city with no friends, and that could be very lonely OR you could stay home where you know you have a social support system.  For me, I have a some family who live in the city, and my partner is committed to coming with me, which lightens the blow a little, but not everyone will have that kind of support system.  

Do you have some opportunities at home that are worth sticking around for?  Maybe you have a part-time job that you could work at, which on top of potentially saving rent, could put some more money in your pocket.  Maybe there is a Law firm that you really want to work or intern for, and you have a better opportunity to make some connections while you're there.  There are a lot of potential opportunities that you could have staying home.  That being said, I imagine that there will also be opportunities that will pop up if you choose to move to Saskatoon.

At the end of the day, I think either choice will be fine.  I hope this helps, best of luck this year! 

• Like 1