Positiveaffirmations

Sample Annotated DTOC - Ontario Bar Exams

Hi everyone! I am currently preparing for the Ontario Bar Exams. While I have an index and will likely be using that on the exam, I was wondering whether those of you who used the DTOC find that it needed annotations? If it did, does anyone have an annotated DTOC for the Ontario Bar exams that they would be willing to share? I find that while there are many resources online for indexes, there is not much for sample annotated DTOCs.

It's not having the study materials that makes you perform on the test; it's the making of the study materials. 

18 hours ago, hmyo said:

It's not having the study materials that makes you perform on the test; it's the making of the study materials. 

Given the fact that people purchase indices and pass, and even those who make their own rarely actually make their index entirely by themselves, I don’t think this is true.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Positiveaffirmations said:

Hi everyone! I am currently preparing for the Ontario Bar Exams. While I have an index and will likely be using that on the exam, I was wondering whether those of you who used the DTOC find that it needed annotations? If it did, does anyone have an annotated DTOC for the Ontario Bar exams that they would be willing to share? I find that while there are many resources online for indexes, there is not much for sample annotated DTOCs.

I only used the provided TOC. I didn't find it necessary to annotate it. I'm not even sure how you would. Generally when using the TOC you read a question, decide which subject area that pertains to, then use the GTOC and DTOC (or a tabbed DTOC) to find which page that subject area begins on so you can flip to it and find the answer or confirm your answer. 

The DTOC is already detailed to the point that the above process will likely land you on a specific page. The sub-categories in the Bar materials tend to be short, so multiple sub-headings are going to be on one page. I don't really see how annotating the thing helps at all. I suppose, if there is a sub-heading in the DTOC that you think is missing an important sub-topic descriptor within it, you could just add the additional word(s) in pen.

18 hours ago, hmyo said:

I think the Bar exam is the one exam where this is just not true. An Index or TOC are also not "study materials" - they are tools specifically intended for use on test day. 

• Like 1

@BringBackCrunchBerries thank you so much for your response! This was very helpful, and will definitely save me time. I will try my hand at this approach in combo with indices during practice.

@BlockedQuebecois and @BringBackCrunchBerries , I also agree that studying for the bar exams doesn’t seem to be like a regular law school exam. After reading all the materials, it seems like a better use of my time to know how to navigate the materials using the study tools.