ontariolaw

Bar Exam Indices Question

I'm wondering if any previous Bar takers have any advice on which indices to use.  I have the OLE indices but U of T students also kindly shared their indices with all law students.  There are also other commercial ones out there.  I'm not sure how I should go about figuring out which is the "best" one.

Edited by ontariolaw

I doubt that many people have taken the time to compare two or more sets of indices, so it is unlikely that you will get an objective answer as to which is “the best.”

I used OLE, I thought they were good. I found a few errors, but overall, it did the job. I’m happy that I didn’t have to spend time making one. I will note that OLE purchases their indices from a group of students, so really it’s probably not much different than the one offered by the U of T students. 

The important thing is that you learn how to use your indices so that you can quickly find the answers to the questions you are asked. Get comfortable knowing how they are organized, what triggers you are looking for in the question, etc. Accordingly, I would just pick one now and start practicing with it. 

Edited by ottawhat
  • Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 11:15 AM, rightsoherewego said:

U of T student here, the OLE index historically was purchased from one or more U of T students. This year we're just preventing them from profiting off of it and are releasing it of our own accord: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ttyljyvzfdmkv3q/AABmpZ-oLUoew5qbyJPW8zUSa?dl=0

Any word on the 2021 Index? Is there any way I can contribute?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheRedRabbit said:

Any word on the 2021 Index? Is there any way I can contribute?

Yep, there is a group of 3Ls at UofT organizing for this year's updating effort. More details here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeKtMYpUJnARFNoP3DvwrHMOtzh2bfRhDdQNjsj_nmY5RYgdw/viewform 

And, for anyone who is interested in accessing the indices but will not be joining the work effort:

After May 14, we plan to make the indices public. We don’t have control over them because once someone downloads them, anyone can share them. So we would rather not have others selling the indices we made because this has happened in the past. Instead, we will encourage those who didn’t contribute to donate to legal aid organizations.

• Like 4

Wanted to share this here too, in case any users or lurkers are still available and willing to contribute to the UofT indices effort:

We have had a few people who cannot do their assignments anymore. So we are looking for any additional contributors to have on standby. If you have any friends writing the bar who are interested in helping, please have them email [email protected] as soon as possible.