Sign in to follow this  
bmwman

School Help!

Anyone with similar stats recommend where I should apply to? 

I've got a dead on B average in 1st and 2nd year. 

In third year my grades are Summer: A, A+ . Fall: A, A, A, PASS ,         Winter: A, A, A , A 

Fourth year projected grades  Summer: Pass, A+, A      Fall: A, A, A, A          Winter: A, A, A, 

I have yet to take the LSAT but my diagnostic is in and around 154. 

Would really appreciate if you could recommend and L2 schools that will not care that I took 3/4 courses a semester and perhaps even take in to account summer courses. 

Have you done your research and looked at all of the Canadian law school websites yet? Doing so will give you an indication of how each school assess your academic record. That is, they will usually indicate if they are the type of school to eliminate a certain number of credits, look at your best three years, your last two years, etc.

To help you with your question regarding your course load during your undergrad, maybe you will find this thread useful: https://lawstudents.ca/forums/topic/63338-undergrad-course-load-problematic/

The link above will take you to a thread that I posted in May where I asked similar questions about course load. The people who responded were very helpful, so perhaps it will be of help to you too.

Edited by RelaxingTimes

In Ontario you’ll have a good shot everywhere except UT. Schools like Western and Queens that take your B2/L2 are your best bet since your 3rd and 4th year grades are great. You’ll also have a really good chance at Ottawa and Windsor. This is all provided that you get your LSAT up to ~160, but if you’re scoring ~154 on your diagnostics, I have no doubt that you’ll be able to get there. You’re already scoring above the 50th percentile (151ish) without studying. 

From what I saw when I was applying, most Ontario schools don’t consider summer school/partial course loads to be damning to your application. Osgoode for instance just cares about your CGPA. Schools may however favour other applicants who took full course loads during F/W semesters, all else being equal. 

Best of luck!

14 minutes ago, HopefulLawyer97 said:

In Ontario you’ll have a good shot everywhere except UT. Schools like Western and Queens that take your B2/L2 are your best bet since your 3rd and 4th year grades are great. You’ll also have a really good chance at Ottawa and Windsor. This is all provided that you get your LSAT up to ~160, but if you’re scoring ~154 on your diagnostics, I have no doubt that you’ll be able to get there. You’re already scoring above the 50th percentile (151ish) without studying. 

From what I saw when I was applying, most Ontario schools don’t consider summer school/partial course loads to be damning to your application. Osgoode for instance just cares about your CGPA. Schools may however favour other applicants who took full course loads during F/W semesters, all else being equal. 

Best of luck!

I've been hearing so much on this forum that if I dont have a FULL load (10 courses) in each of my L2/B2, I will have a difficult time... The reason I took 2/3 summer courses each year is because I plan to devote more time during the year to stay home with an ill family member. I could've easily taken an extra 2/3 courses during the year instead of the summer, and at the time I didn't know that it would be viewed as a setback.

23 minutes ago, bmwman said:

I've been hearing so much on this forum that if I dont have a FULL load (10 courses) in each of my L2/B2, I will have a difficult time... The reason I took 2/3 summer courses each year is because I plan to devote more time during the year to stay home with an ill family member. I could've easily taken an extra 2/3 courses during the year instead of the summer, and at the time I didn't know that it would be viewed as a setback.

I didn’t take a full course load in many third year winter semester because the YU strike and I didn’t have any problems. The only school that’s really rigid about that is U of T. 

https://law.uwo.ca/future_students/jd_admissions/admissions_FAQ/grades_and_courses.html

Here’s Western for instance. Scroll down about half way. 

18 minutes ago, HopefulLawyer97 said:

I didn’t take a full course load in many third year winter semester because the YU strike and I didn’t have any problems. The only school that’s really rigid about that is U of T. 

https://law.uwo.ca/future_students/jd_admissions/admissions_FAQ/grades_and_courses.html

Here’s Western for instance. Scroll down about half way. 

Thank you for sending that. I’m also at York :). I’d assume Pass/Fail wont have an impact on GPA at Western? It would just count as a “credit”? 

3 minutes ago, bmwman said:

Thank you for sending that. I’m also at York :). I’d assume Pass/Fail wont have an impact on GPA at Western? It would just count as a “credit”? 

Hahahaha so you know the struggle #York’d. 

Ya pass fail would just count as a credit from what I’ve read. It definitely won’t have a negative impact on your app. 

1 minute ago, HopefulLawyer97 said:

Hahahaha so you know the struggle #York’d. 

Ya pass fail would just count as a credit from what I’ve read. It definitely won’t have a negative impact on your app. 

Oh ya most definitely. Both of us got YORKD 😂. Based on my stats do you think I should apply this upcoming year (without final 4th year winter grades) or next year with all final grades? 

26 minutes ago, bmwman said:

Oh ya most definitely. Both of us got YORKD 😂. Based on my stats do you think I should apply this upcoming year (without final 4th year winter grades) or next year with all final grades? 

York kids stick together. 
Apply this year. When your last semester grades come in resend your transcript and they will consider them if you haven’t gotten in already by that point.