bobby96

TRU Interim Dean "Conerned"

Anyone know why TRU has picked the second non-law school affiliated interim dean? This individual is not a lawyer, no history of legal teaching or legal research. Is the provost hand picking the interim deans who are just obedient? Why is this happening? Seems like clocktower is trying to control the law faculty. Whose next a butcher from the culinary school?

Dear Colleagues,

Weyt-kp

I am pleased to announce that Chris Adam will be assuming the position of Interim Dean for the Faculty of Law for three months starting July 1. We are grateful for her support of TRU and the Faculty of Law during this transition period, and look forward to finalizing our search for a new dean. 

Chris has held the role of Dean of Students, Faculty of Student Development since joining TRU in 2010. She has led a wide range of academic and student services, including Career and Experiential Learning, Counselling Services and Accessibility Services, and initiatives such as the Sexualized Violence Policy Consultation and the President’s Task Force on Mental Health. 

Chris completed her BA in English Literature at the University of Ottawa, followed by a Certificate in Teaching English as a Second Language (CTESL) and a Master of Arts in Applied Language Studies at Carleton University. She is passionate about supporting university students in the pursuit of their personal and professional goals. 

Sara Wolfe will continue her role as Acting Dean of Students, Faculty of Student Development until Sept. 30, a role she began in January to replace Chris during her six-month administrative leave. 

I would like to take this opportunity to formally thank Dennis Acreman for his dedication and leadership in the Faculty of Law for the past six months, and wish him all of the very best as he begins his much-deserved administrative leave.

Please join me in wishing Chris success as she takes on the leadership and support of the students, faculty and staff of TRU Law.

Warm wishes,

Christine Bovis-Cnossen
Provost and Vice-President Academic and Research

In my corporate experience (which is a lot as I'm a very mature applicant), interim appointments are not considered for the job, but rather for their ability to manage the department as it seeks the permanent appointment. Sometimes the interim pick thinks they are going to get the job, but they can't even apply both because they don't have the qualifications, and because they have been granted experience that would be considered an advantage over external applicants. I suspect this is a short-term position until they find a more suitable, permanent dean. Indeed, a former Dean of Students would likely be an exceptionally strong placeholder. 

I mean, this is purely my experience from working with my own law school's admin, but a significant part of the Dean's job is administrative tasks that do not require legal background or training.

They were probably looking for someone with those kind of management skills to stop-gap while they search for an appropriate candidate with legal skills.

Given his resume points in the announcement, this seems an entirely smart decision to ensure the law school has stable, experienced leadership while they find the right candidate.

I worked closely with Dean Acreman when I was on Faculty Council this past year, and with Dean Morse when I was on Faculty Council the year before.

As others have mentioned. the role of Dean is 99% administrative and doesn't actually seem to require any knowledge of law.

I met the candidate for the real Dean position before I graduated. The hiring process was long and when they visited it was the last step before they were supposed to decide to accept the position. I graduated before hearing if that candidate had officially accepted. If they have accepted, I would not be surprised if the pandemic has made it difficult to move their family to Kamloops. Or perhaps the pandemic has made that candidate rescind their acceptance.

1 hour ago, bobby96 said:

Seems like clocktower is trying to control the law faculty.

Installing an Interim Dean doesn't give Clocktower much, if any, power over the law faculty. Major decisions are made by vote at Faculty Council which is comprised of the key administrators, all tenured profs, and the main executives from the Society of Law Students. An Interim Dean wouldn't be able to unilaterally make important decisions for the entire faculty.

1 hour ago, bobby96 said:

Whose next a butcher from the culinary school?

It's always the immature/elitist law students who make the culinary school the butt of a joke.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, canuckfanatic said:

It's always the immature/elitist law students who make the culinary school the butt of a joke.

Seriously. 

Edited by Kingifer