mikes77

What are we going to lose out if 1L is all online?

So I was just wondering what kind of services or job fairs or any important in-person stuff that incoming 1L's are going to lose out on because a lot of law schools are choosing to do at least the Fall 2020 online? Are we losing out on important clinics, job fairs, articling opportunities, moots? And also, is it worth it to lose all the in-person opportunities or to wait till Fall 2021?

Any insight is appreciated. Thank you! 

I would not delay law school. Yeah sure, some things in 1L were really great and fun (engaging class discussions, participating in a mock trial, etc.), but I still feel like 1L is actually the best time to "take the L" and just be confined to your home (if you had to be confined) since there are way more substantial opportunities in 2L and 3L. It seems like a lot of 1L ECs are more "nice-to-haves" and "fluffy" compared to the opportunities later on in law school. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Rashabon said:

Fucking your classmates.

not wrong tho

10 minutes ago, Twenty said:

It seems like a lot of 1L ECs are more "nice-to-haves" and "fluffy" compared to the opportunities later on in law school. 

Aren’t these “fluffs” needed for OCIs in 2L? Wouldn’t 1Ls be disadvantaged by not having moots, clinic opportunities, etc? 

Moots and for-credit clinics are not available to 1Ls at my school anyways. I think a couple of Allard clubs are still running as well as PBSC and LSLAP.

I think the answer to this question really depends on the school. Different schools cultivate different 1L experiences and events. For example, my school doesn't have any clinics for 1L's any the only "moot" is a pretty low key one at the end of the year. It's also pretty rare in general to secure an articling opportunity in 1L. Sure there's the social events, job fairs, etc. but those don't necessarily make-or-break 1L, and you can always catch up in the latter two years.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, jatthopefullawyer said:

Aren’t these “fluffs” needed for OCIs in 2L? Wouldn’t 1Ls be disadvantaged by not having moots, clinic opportunities, etc? 

I initially focused on the impact doing things online would have on the student experience. I still think that 2L and 3L ECs are generally more engaging and that 1Ls are not really missing anything that they cannot catch up on. I used the term "fluff", but I think that may have been too harsh. But I do remember classmates talking to 0Ls about their 1L ECs early on in the semester. It sounded really substantial and impressive. But then I realized that EC registration was a literal week ago, so how much work were they actually doing at that point? I guess what I am trying to say is to not fall for the perception that you're missing out on something amazing that you will never have the opportunity to experience.

With regards to recruitment, If you really want to do ECs because you feel like you need them on your resume, you may still have the opportunity to get involved (but it will probably vary between provinces and law schools). My school's legal clinic is still operating and 1L clinic summer students are working remotely. Mooting tryouts for an internal 2L moot were held via Zoom. Social justice legal research can be done online. That being said, only your specific school can answer what they are doing for 1L ECs during the school year. 

With respect to the impact that an online fall semester will have on OCIs, I am not sure. However, I participated in a 1L formal recruit and if the 2L recruitment process is similar, I would say that firms are more concerned about finding people who "fit" the firm's culture than people who have X,Y, Z ECs. From a hiring perspective, ECs are great because they give you something to talk about during interviews. However, this does not mean you specifically have to moot/volunteer at a clinic/etc. You do need "fluff" to talk about in interviews, but if you can connect with your interviewer because you both, for example, enjoy skiing, that is much better than having a lackluster interview in which  you drone on about your 1L ECs.

If you want to read more about the importance of 1L ECs, see the thread below. However, that thread was created prior to this whole situation and you should consider that employers will be cognizant that many students had to go online due to COVID. 

Edited by Twenty
  • Like 2