Sign in to follow this  
doubletakejake

Online Fall Semester Tuition

Hello, am I the only one thinking that if 1L Fall is 100% online then we should have reduced tuition fees? ...I feel like our non-use of campus should be reflected in this at least by some amount! 

Edited by doubletakejake
grammar

59 minutes ago, doubletakejake said:

Hello, am I the only one thinking that if 1L Fall is 100% online then we should have reduced tuition fees? ...I feel like our non-use of campus should be reflected in this at least by some amount! 

Actually it's been rumored some universities are INCREASING tuition to cover additional costs of converting to online format. The university of Calgary has not, just to be clear.

1 hour ago, doubletakejake said:

No, it's an opinion repeated thousands of times recently by people who don't understand the fixed costs of universities or the added expenses of pivoting to an online environment in a short period of time. Just because you don't use a building as much, or even outright, doesn't mean it sits there empty, cold, and unprotected. And that's before considering the unrealized market losses and liquidity crunches universities are facing with the drastic downturn affecting their endowment funds and investments. Tuition is hard capital they need now more than ever.

Edited by Turtles

It's not going down. That's why some people are talking about delaying a year because at least next year you're getting what you paid for. Although you're not going to be charged the fee for the U-pass, the student union fee and a few others, so you save money there. 

You can call them if you're interested in knowing more. They're really easy to get a hold of (in my experience). 

There's been some speculation that the online format may allow them to take more students.

On 6/4/2020 at 11:21 AM, Kingifer said:

There's been some speculation that the online format may allow them to take more students.

Interesting, would this become problematic in 2L/3L?

Edited by Bjobin
mix up.

5 hours ago, Bjobin said:

Interesting, would this become problematic in 2L/3L?

I doubt they would be taking hundreds of students, but I've seen people on FB speculating like 20-50. Plus there are people that drop out after the first year or they may choose to take less transfers in upcoming years. There's lots of ways that they could take a few more and still have a regular amount of graduates. It's expensive to create and facilitate programs entirely online, so I wouldn't be surprised if they opted to either increase tuition a bit or get more money by taking a few more students. I think before covid a few schools were planning a tuition increase, but it's kind of shitty to do that when people may be having trouble working this year, so they may seek other avenues of making up that money. 

I've seen a lot of adjunct professors come on as well. Another way to cut costs is to find people who they can pay less. 

It's all speculation though. We never really know 100% what's going on until the universities release the information to us. 

Source: I've worked at a University for 5 years closely with my department head. 

• Like 1