OnlyResident

Is a 1 hour 20min commute doable?

Did anyone else commute over 1 hour (one-way) to UofT Law first year? 

Was it worth the savings or did you regret it?

Is this advisable? 

If you can share a sample first year schedule that would be helpful as well. 

Thanks,

OR

I have a similar commute time and was going to move down for 1L, but now I’m wondering if it’s worth it since they’ve announced the semester will be a mix of online and in-person classes. 

Posted (edited)

I shared my perspective re: commuting 1.5 hours all 3 years in the above thread. I personally found it perfectly fine. Attending class, studying, and marks did not suffer. First year typically had you with classes mon-thurs, typically starting at either 9am or 11am (I never had straight 9ams), most days were done by 3:30, everyone has the same lunch period 12:20-2, one class went as late as 5pm on one day, sometimes someone got a day off. I did all extra curricular activities I wanted to do (clinic, journal, moot, other things). I went to many lunch time events. I made friends easily and attended varied social activities, but this is maybe a tough one if you care about social activities that take place during the week at night. for e.g.the bar nights take place late on Thursdays and a commuter is less inclined to stick around until 9pm/10pm to attend if their class ends at 3:30 or 5, though i know people who did this. I had no reason to do so because i do not drink and did not care, but i can imagine that may be tough. I love any and all savings since debt sucks :). Maybe I saved around 30-45k depending on lifestyle over 3 years? Idk never did the math.

Edited by Ghalm
  • Like 4

I think it’s doable for classes, but it will detract from some of the social events if you do drink/go out. This may not be applicable to this year (sadly), but if you’re the kind of person who would go to Call to the Bar and related events, that would kinda suck. I found a lot of key socializing happened while pregaming for CTTB and at the bar itself. I have one friend that commuted a similar distance and did go, but he’d stay over on a friend’s couch every Thursday. However, if anything, this is the perfect year to have a long commute since you won’t be in as much and most social events won’t yet be permitted to run.

• Like 1

I did it and thought it was fine too -- make friends who live close to the law school who don't mind letting you crash at their place. A lot of events at the law school take place during the day. I wasn't someone who went to every CTTB (and would not have even if I lived closer) but I found it totally doable to be involved and make friends.  

This was the timetable from this year (first year courses are highlighted) -- of course, you wouldn't be in every first year section (in each semester, you will have your small group + LRW or LP + 2 large section classes): https://www.law.utoronto.ca/academic-programs/academic-handbook/timetables-and-exam-schedules/timetable-first-term

• Like 2