pitcher45

LSAT Strategy: Is This a Good Idea?

Hello everyone,

I am planning to write the LSAT in January 2021 and I am planning to start studying mid June after my spring courses are complete. 

This is what I have for a strategy so far. I created this with a little background searching on the internet, so I am seeking input on how I should change this (what should I add in, take out etc.)

- Powerscore Bibles (Using their 24-week study schedule)

- Khan Academy as a secondary resource.

- May add in tutoring closer to test date to get me over the edge

Any input on what works for you or what you recommend for resources is greatly appreciated.

I'm using a very similar strategy to yours! I would also suggest buying practice tests (lsac has a reasonably priced package you can purchase). Other than that, I'd say this is a good start. Of course, you will need to see how it works for you and adjust as you see fit. Good luck!

This completely depends what you are testing at--there is no general answer. Personally I would consider this an absurdly excessive amount of preparation unless your natural aptitude for the LSAT is very limited.

Just now, CleanHands said:

This completely depends what you are testing at--there is no general answer. Personally I would consider this an absurdly excessive amount of preparation unless your natural aptitude for the LSAT is very limited.

To be completely honest, I am not sure if I have an aptitude for the test or not (guess we will see when I do my baseline in June). I just didn't want to get caught unprepared on test day.

Just now, pitcher45 said:

To be completely honest, I am not sure if I have an aptitude for the test or not (guess we will see when I do my baseline in June). I just didn't want to get caught unprepared on test day.

You should do your diagnostic test before developing a study plan, rather than after.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, culitigator said:

I'm using a very similar strategy to yours! I would also suggest buying practice tests (lsac has a reasonably priced package you can purchase). Other than that, I'd say this is a good start. Of course, you will need to see how it works for you and adjust as you see fit. Good luck!

Thank you. Glad to hear someone is employing a similar strategy. 

If you don't mind me asking, when are you writing? And have you found a substantial improvement from your baseline from when you started? (if you did a baseline)

Hi! I got a 166, so nothing special but also good enough. I used Mike Kim's LSAT Trainer book and I loved it, I imagine there is an updated edition now. I think the Powerscore bibles are similar but just another suggestion. Then I just did practice tests like crazy! You can pirate them all, except for the couple most recent ones (which I bought on Amazon). I bet you can find links on reddit. Save the more recent ones for closer to your test date. Time yourself properly, create distractions in the background to challenge yourself, and keep track of the type of question you get wrong in each section and spend extra time practicing those and figuring out what you did wrong. Unless you are really struggling, I don't think tutoring is necessarily worth it. The LSAT subreddit is very helpful for asking questions if you don't understand why you got something wrong (or right). 

Edited by astridlaw
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, pitcher45 said:

Thank you. Glad to hear someone is employing a similar strategy. 

If you don't mind me asking, when are you writing? And have you found a substantial improvement from your baseline from when you started? (if you did a baseline)

I'm planning to write in August and apply in November. I started studying last summer for like two months maybe? I wasn't very disciplined at that time though. And then I took an 8 month break during the school year lol. But when I first starting I was scoring around 147-149. Since I've started studying more seriously (since May 1st), I'm up to about a 157 and my goal is around 163+. Like I said though, these strategies have worked for me so they may not give you the same results. 

Another thing I would suggest which 100% helped me was taking a logic course in school. If you dont have the time/course space to take it its not a huge deal ofc, but I know a few people who took it and saw pretty significant improvements. Even just watching youtube videos on logic might be helpful for you. Just a thought! 

It will serve you much better to look at LSAT prep as a process of eliminating weaknesses, not a bunch of prep tests, books, or courses to get through. You don’t get any points for the number of hours you spent preparing. 

I used the LSAT Trainer mentioned by another user to raise a 159 diagnostic to a 171 on test day. I was PTing in the mid-170s. Can’t recommend it enough. 

2 hours ago, easttowest said:

I used the LSAT Trainer mentioned by another user to raise a 159 diagnostic to a 171 on test day. I was PTing in the mid-170s. Can’t recommend it enough. 

Wow that's an amazing score - just curious, what was your study strategy while completing the Trainer? I'm currently following the 3 month schedule but am wondering if I should do practice tests earlier than it has scheduled. Also was the Trainer helpful for LG? I've heard mixed reviews about that section. Appreciate any insights :) 

3 hours ago, lwyrup2021 said:

Wow that's an amazing score - just curious, what was your study strategy while completing the Trainer? I'm currently following the 3 month schedule but am wondering if I should do practice tests earlier than it has scheduled. Also was the Trainer helpful for LG? I've heard mixed reviews about that section. Appreciate any insights :) 

I followed the three month schedule and then PTed 3x week for I think a month before the exam. I went -1 on LG on the day... the only question I got wrong in games in over a month lol.

I used PowerScore and 7 sage (just the free online forums to find answers to practice questions I found particularly difficult). I studied for about 1.5 months and my mark was 168.

I think you may be better served by writing in October or November. I am afraid that January may be too long and you might get study fatigue. 

WOW! Thank you everyone for your sound advice.

I am taking my baseline test in two weeks (once spring semester ends) and will create a plan from there. Any advice before then is appreciated as well :)