Luckycharm

some Canadian universities hike tuition fees-due to higher costs of remote teaching and learning

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/students-upset-as-some-canadian-universities-hike-tuition-fees-1.4961036

Some Canadian universities are raising tuition fees for the new school year much to the consternation of students, who argue their costs should be going down, not up in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.

While schools argue they need an infusion of cash to deal in part with higher costs of remote teaching and learning, 

• Like 1

I think there are a number of arguments that can be made against raising tuition, but the classic student advocacy response of "costs should be going down!" just really doesn't fit in these circumstances.

• Like 2

I can’t really get on board with lower tuition fees. I also can’t get in board with higher tuition fees. I’m really excited however to pay for an art gallery, among other services, I have never used and will never used, but am asked to pay for regardless. 

• Haha 2

What are the increased costs of remote learning? Is that just a Zoom premium package? But in all seriousness, I'm genuinely unclear as to what additional new costs a university might have related to online learning...

• Like 1

New hardware and software.

But what about the costs savings from empty classrooms?   

21 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

New hardware and software.

But what about the costs savings from empty classrooms?   

Electricity? That’s basically the only cost saving. Negligible compared to the costs of new hardware, software, etc 

• Like 1

Fair enough, I guess... though "hardware" is still mysterious. Don't profs own laptops? 

As for savings, I agree that the slightly lower utilities bill wouldn't make much of a difference. However, what about things like savings on catering and events?

39 minutes ago, Demander said:

Fair enough, I guess... though "hardware" is still mysterious. Don't profs own laptops? 

As for savings, I agree that the slightly lower utilities bill wouldn't make much of a difference. However, what about things like savings on catering and events?

Some do, some don’t. They may also need video cameras, microphones, etc. Some universities are also likely paying for some of/all of lecturers’ internet costs. 

Canadian universities are multi-billion dollar companies. It’s safe to assume they’ve done the math and figured out that increased costs are going to outweigh money saved on catering. 

1 hour ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

It’s safe to assume they’ve done the math and figured out that increased costs are going to outweigh money saved on catering

Yeah, for sure.

5 hours ago, TKNumber3 said:

I think there are a number of arguments that can be made against raising tuition, but the classic student advocacy response of "costs should be going down!" just really doesn't fit in these circumstances.

If the economy into which graduates will compete just shrank 25%, maybe it is incumbent on faculty and administrators to feel some of that pain.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Eeee said:

If the economy into which graduates will compete just shrank 25%, maybe it is incumbent on faculty and administrators to feel some of that pain.

Well that’s a silly argument. If the students who will pay increased tuition no longer feel it’s worthwhile to get a degree, they can simply not attend university in the fall. That’s how markets work. If you think something isn’t worth the price, you don’t buy it  

Also, I have to imagine some faculty and administrators will be feeling the pain of COVID. There’s no reason to hire sessional lecturers for Bio 100 if you can just collapse all the sections of the course into one large one, taught by one prof. 

• Like 2

I suspect a lot of the "increased costs" are more related to "decreased revenue" as international enrollment likely takes a massive hit. International students believe it or not help subsidize domestic tuition.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pzabbythesecond said:

I suspect a lot of the "increased costs" are more related to "decreased revenue" as international enrollment likely takes a massive hit. International students believe it or not help subsidize domestic tuition.

i thought international students pay about 2x domestic fees, but after taking a quick glance at the uoft graduate fee schedule i am shocked (i saw one program that costs $15k/yr for domestic students --> $60k/yr for international students). 

• Like 1