ArchivesandMuseums

How did you manage the toughest issues when you were in law school?

Maybe take it to PM if it is going to get this personal. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pzabbythesecond said:

I found law school to be cliquey and melodramatic (well, if you let yourself into it). Basically high school, except everyone was anxious and you had fewer stoners.

Some people found long term partners. Many of them broke up then dated their exes best friend (melodrama). Some people are still together though. 

I call these people law school sweet hearts. I don't see too much difference with them and high school sweet hearts. It can work. It can also not. Don't stress. Live your own life.

Also! You don’t have to date another lawyer (or law student) just because you’re a lawyer (or law student)! 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, erinl2 said:

It's interesting reading these comments. When I was in law school, I was already in a longterm relationship, and actually got married during law school. It was the same situation with many of my classmates, all of whom, by the way, are still married and are now parents! This would also include the two couples who met and got together as classmates in law school, and yes, still together after all these years.

Interesting how so many of you young ones are not attached. 

In 2017, in the US, average age of first marriage was 27.4 for women and 29.5 for men. When you were in law school, I believe the numbers were more like 26 for women and 27.5 for men. So it’s not surprising that so many of your peers were coupled, they would be getting married within a few years of graduation! In comparison to your experience, I don’t think a single person got married during law school in my class (there were a few marriages planned for this summer, though)  

It will be interesting to see what the long term effects of this trend are, particularly in light of recent research showing that men want to get married at the same age, with the same frequency, as they always have, whereas women are pushing against marriage both in terms of age and frequency. 

I read a longitudinal study last week that showed that people who were consistently coupled were happier over the course of their lives than those who were consistently single or had varied relationships (that is, people who got into and out of long term relationships over the course of their lives). 

I wonder if we’ll see male happiness dropping faster than female happiness (or perhaps female happiness keeping steady), due to the combination of those trends. 

2 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

In 2017, in the US, average age of first marriage was 27.4 for women and 29.5 for men. When you were in law school, I believe the numbers were more like 26 for women and 27.5 for men. So it’s not surprising that so many of your peers were coupled, they would be getting married within a few years of graduation! In comparison to your experience, I don’t think a single person got married during law school in my class (there were a few marriages planned for this summer, though)  

It will be interesting to see what the long term effects of this trend are, particularly in light of recent research showing that men want to get married at the same age, with the same frequency, as they always have, whereas women are pushing against marriage both in terms of age and frequency. 

I read a longitudinal study last week that showed that people who were consistently coupled were happier over the course of their lives than those who were consistently single or had varied relationships (that is, people who got into and out of long term relationships over the course of their lives). 

I wonder if we’ll see male happiness dropping faster than female happiness (or perhaps female happiness keeping steady), due to the combination of those trends. 

I thought we were already?

On 7/12/2020 at 10:01 AM, wtamow said:

Also! You don’t have to date another lawyer (or law student) just because you’re a lawyer (or law student)! 

Exactly! You can marry a med student instead so you'll actually have a shot at paying off your LoC

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 7/12/2020 at 1:01 PM, wtamow said:

We must only breed with other law students as to keep the gene pool pure. 

I want my children to come out of the womb already knowing how to ruin a conversation by telling everyone how hard law school is. 

I want my children to be genetically predisposed to starting useless fights on lawstudents.ca regarding some trivial matter that has no bearing on anybody's life. 

• Haha 3