1. Forums

1. 271

Discussions about the forums or the Discord server.

1. General

General discussion about law schools or your applications.

U of T vs. Osgoode, Queens vs. Western, so on and so forth: Get advice about which school is better to go to over another.

Questions, study tips, and general discussion about the LSAT.

Questions about lines of credit, loans, and paying for law school.

For applicants or law students looking to offer books / prep materials for purchase or sale.

1. 906

1. 2.5k

OCIs, summer jobs, applying for articling.

1. Ask a Lawyer

Not a lawyer but have a question about what it's like to be one?

4. 235

1. 6.2k
  • Who's Online   9 Members, 1 Anonymous, 32 Guests (See full list)

• CleanHands
    • lawschoolkid
    • Mets992
    • soundofconfusion
    • tallandnervy
    • Ohshmagoda
    • ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • CALaw2024
    • BlockedQuebecois

• Recent Posts

• Ohshmagoda
      Salary data is available here: Bonus data is not readily shared and varies based on many factors. You can assume that Toronto bonuses are higher, but in comparable circumstances the variance is probably not material on an after-tax basis. More importantly: you may not want to make a decision about where to attend school based on big firm associate salaries. The difference in compensation (at the associate level) will not be meaningful and is somewhat offset by the higher tuition costs in Ontario. Vancouver and Toronto are very different and the big firm landscape in each city is very different. It’s also entirely possible to go to school in BC and work in Toronto, and vice versa.
    • notlegaleagle
      Accepted from the WL yesterday. 162/3.8(B2), 80% cGPA. Strong softs. Filled out Section B. Very surprised to have been accepted off the WL/ so quickly (I moved to WL about a week earlier). Declined as I was accepted elsewhere.  Good luck everyone!
    • LMP
      Echoing the above, I don't think a gap will really do you any harm in the recruit. Especially if you end up doing something a bit lighter for that year.  Having said that, law school can actually be pretty relaxing if you're coming into having worked before. I find it is mostly those without prior work experience who think it is the worst thing in the world. 
    • GoatDuck
      Being burnt out is a good reason to postpone. But I would not defer for a year based on your recruit concerns. Some firms might ask you about the gap (only one firm asked me during the interviews, and I had two one-year gaps on my resume), and I think saying that the team was laid off, without going into too many details, is fine. If it comes to this question, you can always spin the layoff positively, talking about how great you were in handling the layoff and what you learned.  If I were you, I would base this decision more so on the personal value of taking a year to do something more fun weighed against the opportunity cost of starting law school a year later. But I would not worry about the recruit-related concerns.
    • BHC1
      Law school isn’t that hard (depending on what your goals are) and can actually be a lot of fun. But if you need to defer it, defer it. No point going forward into a program if you’re not ready for it. Any loss to your career prospects will be insignificant, particularly if you are going to be working in any event (lower stress job or otherwise). Mental health is really important. You’re actually wiser than a lot of lawyers for realizing this now. Take care of yourself. 
    • AKS2024
      After accepting a law school offer, I'm considering whether to go or defer next year.  Since undergrad, I've worked in strategy at a major corporation for almost a year and in management consulting for two years. However, my consulting team was laid off a couple of months ago.  I'm feeling kind of burnt out and considering postponing law school for another year to do something fun or a more low-key job.   I am concerned about how recruiters in the 2L recruit will perceive a gap in my employment history and the impact of potentially taking on a shorter-term role during this period. I also don't want to put myself in a situation where being laid off comes up in an interview.  I would appreciate the current lawyers' views on my situation. 
    • RushFan2112
      95th on the WL, AB resident. LSAT 166, AGPA somewhere around 3.1-3.2 with drops. Thoughts on chances as a non-MB resident?
  • Recent Topics

Important Information

By accessing this website, you agree to abide by our Terms of Use. YOU EXPRESSLY ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT YOU WILL NOT CONSTRUE ANY POST ON THIS WEBSITE AS PROVIDING LEGAL ADVICE EVEN IF SUCH POST IS MADE BY A PERSON CLAIMING TO BE A LAWYER. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.