Sign in to follow this  
lawwwww

Credit Number Requirements

I'm looking to apply for Fall 2021 admission. The website states that:

present proof of having completed, with standing satisfactory to the Faculty of Law, at least the first three years (45 units) of a program leading to a degree at the University of Victoria, or the equivalent at a recognized institution

I understand UVic does take into account fall grades. I will have the required amount of units (90 credits) only after the Fall 2020 semester is over (so late December, January), will I be eligible to apply for Fall 2021? The reason I'm asking is that it states that UVic does an initial evaluation prior to the completion of the Fall semester and I hope that does not immediately take me out of the running.

Yes, lots of people apply in their fourth year while still undergoing completing their final 30 credits to reach 120 credits by graduation in April. Many also are accepted before completion of their fall term (if you look at acceptances for the 2020 term, acceptances went out to current fourth year students in November/December). If you don't have the stats to get in during that 'first round' by January, then you will send an updated unofficial copy of your transcript to show your fall marks from your fall 2020 semester which UVic will evaluate as well. 

Hope that makes sense!

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 5:07 PM, lawwwww said:

I'm looking to apply for Fall 2021 admission. The website states that:

I understand UVic does take into account fall grades. I will have the required amount of units (90 credits) only after the Fall 2020 semester is over (so late December, January), will I be eligible to apply for Fall 2021? The reason I'm asking is that it states that UVic does an initial evaluation prior to the completion of the Fall semester and I hope that does not immediately take me out of the running.

UVIC apps aren't even due until mid January and many won't get a decision until April, May, or later.You're fine.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recent Posts

• I'll never forget, during orientation for my undergraduate the department chair asked a full lecture hall of 1st year crim students how many wanted to be lawyers. Nearly the entire room raised their hand.  There are a handful of crim majors in my law school class year (including myself) at best lol
    • Nothing will happen if you don't apply. It sounds like you faced a difficult situation in 1L and rebounded successfully. I know plenty of people with Cs in 1L who landed great jobs. Don't make your grades your identity. Just apply for the jobs you want. I wouldn't try to explain yourself in a cover letter, it wastes precious real estate where you can express your legal strengths and passions. If it comes up in an interview -- and I'm less certain than you and @BringBackCrunchBerries that it will in most cases -- you have a valid explanation. Draft yourself a quick, positive, and persuasive response to the question "what happened between 1L and 2L" that communicates your persistence and ability to overcome adversity. If you get an interview, rehearse it to make it sound natural. Then move on with your life.  
    • I came into law with a policing background and strong interest in Crim. Have somewhat diversified my interests knowing how much a C in 1L could dampen those chances as well as trying to accommodate - as much as one can starting out in law - that the demands on my personal time are significantly more than I expected when I chose to pursue law. ---- Part of my not applying is knowing I will have to address it in interviews and being unsure if the instant change in demeanour and rapport won't tank the interview or make it/me memorable for the wrong reasons.
    • Have you talked to your law school's career office? I think you can add an addendum to your transcript explaining the circumstances. Your school might be able to provide it. That way you won't need to discuss it in your cover letter and hopefully nobody will ask you about it in an interview (since it's a sensitive topic). You should definitely apply for all the jobs that you're interested in. Your grades in 2L show significant improvement. Students apply for jobs with worse grades all the time.
    • It should be noted that the LSAT is a standardized aptitude assessment test, not a multiple choice exam for an undergraduate course primarily designed to assess your information retention and recall abilities within the scope of a certain subject area. While certain broad strategies you may have learned during your undergraduate to facilitate multiple choice exam taking may be cross applicable to the LSAT (for example, disqualifying glaringly incorrect answer choices first before comparing two or three likely correct answer choices), not all will be. As someone who also completed a degree in criminology before applying to and receiving an offer of admission to Osgoode amongst other schools, I can promise you absolutely no class material you may have covered and internalized will be relevant to the LSAT; the LSAT assesses test takers' analytical and logical reasoning abilities, as well as their level of reading comprehension. This means that you must develop an understanding of how the LSAT will assess your analytical and logical reasoning abilities, as well as your reading comprehension level to do well on the test; any substantive knowledge you may have about the topics or subjects covered within LSAT questions across each section of the test will not help you. 2 months; in my personal opinion; is not enough time to sufficiently study for the LSAT, except for persons who- following multiple diagnostics- can consistently attain scores in the mid 160's to low 170's. Take a diagnostic LSAT (under timed conditions which mirror those on test day) to determine what level of understanding of the test you are starting from, and THEN decide when to schedule your first official attempt.