HopefulLawyer97

OCI Strikeout

Hey everyone. Hope you’re all doing well. 

I was just wondering, if you strike out during OCIs, is there a way to apply to those participating firms down the road, I.e., when an associate position opens up? Or do large firms basically source all new associates straight out of school (through OCIs). This might be a dumb question, so forgive me as I am totally ignorant on how recruitment and hiring works. 

Thanks! 

Some of the OCI firms will participate in the articling recruit at the end of the summer for students entering 3L.

All of them are open to hiring candidates down the road to fill associate positions as they open up.

• Like 3

Yep. Lateral hires are pretty common, especially with mid-level and senior associates. 

On 5/22/2020 at 4:47 PM, HopefulLawyer97 said:

Hey everyone. Hope you’re all doing well. 

I was just wondering, if you strike out during OCIs, is there a way to apply to those participating firms down the road, I.e., when an associate position opens up? Or do large firms basically source all new associates straight out of school (through OCIs). This might be a dumb question, so forgive me as I am totally ignorant on how recruitment and hiring works. 

Thanks! 

This question makes me think of the guy who asked out the popular girl in school, got turned down, and now wants to know if there's a chance, down the road, if maybe she might become interested in him after all. I mean, it's not a stupid question in either situation, or an impossible outcome. The point of the comparison is more this - you should be focusing on the opportunities that will come between now and some hypothetical situation where as an associate with some experience you may or may not lateral into some position at a large firm. You sure as hell shouldn't be obsessing on the girl who turned you down during every relationship or opportunity you have between now and then.

Let me put this another way. No one wants to be the girl you date (or the guy) while you are waiting for the one you really want. If you do that, you are both missing out on what the current relationship could be, and you are being an incredible ass at the same time to the person you're with. What kind of job or career do you imagine you are going to pursue while you are waiting around to be invited back to the big glass tower? Yes, large firms do sometimes recruit associates to lateral. But they are looking for otherwise successful, experienced early-career lawyers in those cases. Do you really imagine you are going to be successful, and get good experience, at some job where you are just putting in time and waiting for a call to do something better? Does anyone really want to hire that person?

There is a whole legal marketplace of interesting and fulfilling opportunities out there. "Big law" represents only a slice of the whole. Speaking as someone who did OCI interviews, and did get a job but didn't end up taking it (that's a whole other story), but who got turned down by many big law employers in the process, let me tell you something. These firms aren't stupid. The people they send to interviews aren't stupid either. They knew I didn't belong there and they were right. Getting turned down by them was the best possible outcome for me.

Anyway. Something to think about.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just realized I wasted the above reply on a person who isn't even in law school yet. Let's take a step back even further and get some perspective. Please, please, please do not be one of those assholes in law school who imagines that large, Bay Street firms represents the "big leagues" in some sense, where all the best people go, and everyone else who can't hack it settles for something else. Please, do not be that person. There is so much about the legal marketplace you don't know, aren't expected to know, and so many possible avenues of interest for you out there.

One of the reason so many lawyers in large firms are unhappy isn't because the work is inherently bad of soul-crushing. It's simply because they followed the most obvious path, bought into a lot of the myths lurking behind your questions, and simply grabbed what they thought they were supposed to aim for rather than spending any time at all actually evaluating and pursuing their genuine interests. Take the many opportunities you'll find in law school to figure out what actually interests you. Do not base your future career on what looked cool in television.

Good luck.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Diplock said:

I just realized I wasted the above reply on a person who isn't even in law school yet. Let's take a step back even further and get some perspective. Please, please, please do not be one of those assholes in law school who imagines that large, Bay Street firms represents the "big leagues" in some sense, where all the best people go, and everyone else who can't hack it settles for something else. Please, do not be that person. There is so much about the legal marketplace you don't know, aren't expected to know, and so many possible avenues of interest for you out there.

One of the reason so many lawyers in large firms are unhappy isn't because the work is inherently bad of soul-crushing. It's simply because they followed the most obvious path, bought into a lot of the myths lurking behind your questions, and simply grabbed what they thought they were supposed to aim for rather than spending any time at all actually evaluating and pursuing their genuine interests. Take the many opportunities you'll find in law school to figure out what actually interests you. Do not base your future career on what looked cool in television.

Good luck.

For what it’s worth, I appreciated the relationship advice 😛 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1