Mydream123

Fall Semester Online Officially

Hey,

I am sure most of us received the email today. The fall semester is going online completely - no lectures in person, no events in person. 

How do you guys feel? Are you still moving to Kamloops? Etc? 

I’m sad, for sure. I was really holding out hope. I’m not moving to Kamloops, but I live about an hour away right now, so I’m hoping to still possibly get together with classmates who are in the area! Hopefully this will be a bonding experience for everyone...

Yes, I am sad too. But I am still moving to Kamloops from AB in August. And I agree, it definitely will be great to meet classmates in town!

I'm having a hard time deciding what to do next. I live in the lower mainland and don't know whether to move anyways or save the cost of rent.

• Like 3

Would any current/past law students at TRU be willing to comment on how important the social aspect of law school was during the first term?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BClawyer0 said:

I'm having a hard time deciding what to do next. I live in the lower mainland and don't know whether to move anyways or save the cost of rent.

Same. I do not know what to do at all. I’m so confused. 

16 minutes ago, BClawyer0 said:

Same here. It’s an easy enough drive to go if any events were to happen, but I can’t seem to justify spending the rent when we live close enough and don’t have to be on campus 

• Like 2

They should create a Facebook page for us - it would be nice to discuss with everyone in our law class. 

It would be nice to know where people are located so we could plan meetings, study sessions etc

• Like 3

Just got the email as well. I live in Ontario so at this point I'm not too sure if it's worth moving across the country for online classes. It's a very confusing situation to be in. 

1 hour ago, Norms said:

Would any current/past law students at TRU be willing to comment on how important the social aspect of law school was during the first term?

Usually there's a lot of socializing (i.e., parties) in the first two weeks of September, but it dies down into October and for the rest of the semester as you get closer and closer to exams. Most of socializing comes in the form of things like intramural sports and club activities, which it doesn't look like will happen this fall.

1 hour ago, Mydream123 said:

They should create a Facebook page for us - it would be nice to discuss with everyone in our law class. 

There will be a "TRU Law Class of 2023" Facebook group in the next couple of weeks.

• Like 1

I am pretty disappointed it is online.  I was hoping we would be able to have in-person lectures even if it were still part time.

I live in Kelowna (~2hrs away) so I will not be moving but I am more than happy to travel for events.

Hoping once a fb group or something else is created, we will be able to organize some events to meet everyone.

Looking forward to meeting everyone in some capacity in the future!

• Like 3

People who received this email: have you all been accepted? I'm currently waitlisted and did not receive the email regarding moving to online classes.

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, Esjay said:

People who received this email: have you all been accepted? I'm currently waitlisted and did not receive the email regarding moving to online classes.

Thanks!

I was offered and I have accepted.

1 hour ago, Esjay said:

Thanks!

Yes, and I accepted my offer as well !

7 hours ago, Mydream123 said:

Same. I do not know what to do at all. I’m so confused. 

me aswell you two! I will be saving money and staying home in the lower mainland. Hoping there will be a bunch of us that can meet up maybe a couple times a month and what not!

• Like 5

I'm definitely a bit bummed but on the other hand it will be nice to save money on rent. I've also heard from someone going into their third year that courses will be pass/fail so that's a bonus. I also live in the lower mainland so we could definitely plan something and get everyone together once there is a facebook group!

• Like 4

Yeah I live in Vancouver and am contemplating what to do as well... this is a tough one. Because what if we get there in winter and there have been students already living out there?

• Like 1

It's pretty silly to move to Kamloops when courses will be delivered online and the law school will closed. Rent on average is a $1000/month and one year lease would equate to $12,000. Why would someone spend that amount of money makes no sense to me tbh when you can conduct your studies anywhere around the world. Important to consider that Canadian law schools may follow the pass/fail grading policy too. SAVE YOUR $ and reduce your debt. 

8 minutes ago, bobby96 said:

It's pretty silly to move to Kamloops when courses will be delivered online and the law school will closed. Rent on average is a $1000/month and one year lease would equate to $12,000. Why would someone spend that amount of money makes no sense to me tbh when you can conduct your studies anywhere around the world. Important to consider that Canadian law schools may follow the pass/fail grading policy too. SAVE YOUR $ and reduce your debt. 

Probably because $1000/mo is quite affordable relative to many parts of Canada (e.g. Vancouver, Toronto, etc) so it may be a real cost savings to many, and there is value in being in the same time zone as well as being proximal to the school to hang out with small groups of classmates, network, engage in ECs, etc.

Not everyone has the option or would want to go live with mommy and daddy far from the school. 

• Like 3