lawschoolhopeful6

Living Arrangements for Out of Province Students for Fall Term

For those of you who are going to school outside your home province (or city I suppose), do you plan on moving for the fall term even if it is completely online to the point where remote learning is a viable option? I'm trying to get a better sense of what others are thinking.

Obviously the experience is a big thing to consider here in that you wouldn't get to be there to meet new people, attend school events (if there are any lol), familiarize yourself with the campus/city (as an incoming 1L), etc. On the flip side, I imagine a lot of people would save a good chunk of money staying at home and doing everything remotely.

Any opinions for/against either side would really be appreciated. Or if anyone has pro's and con's to add to this I would love to hear them.

Thanks!

I'm leaning towards doing the fall term online. I'm still debating it though because it feels like I'd be missing out on a lot of stuff by not being in the city. 

I’m moving for the fall term. 

Economically it is similar for me. I also don’t want to move in December or January if it reboots then. I also aim to try for socially distanced opportunities with the FY class. 

I'll be moving for the fall term even if courses are online. I want to take any opportunity for experiences in person if possible. I also think it may be more difficult to move after the fall semester if the winter semester is completely or partially in person. Obviously it is not feasible or reasonable for some people to move for online classes though and I can totally understand and respect that.

• Like 2

I'm definitely moving, my school is planning to do many of the extra-curricular components in-person. I wouldn't want my resume to be barren if I went online compared to classmates that are attending in-person.

• Like 1

Same here! I am moving to another province, even if all courses are planned to be provided online. I am renting a place in my current province, so it won't be a big difference financially speaking for me. 

I am moving exactly for the reasons you have mentioned above: meeting new people on and off campus, participating in study groups, attending school/city events, getting to know the city etc.

Plus if classes are provided in person as of winter, it won't be great to move during the winter, as roads between AB and BC are quite snowy 😁