OrcaWhale7

Ryerson Law will not be looking at 4th term winter marks

Posted (edited)

I emailed Ryerson asking them when the next round of offers will occur (we are getting closer to the firm acceptance deadline on July 2nd) and included in my email if they were going to look at our 4th term winter marks. Part of their reply was the following:

"Our application assessment is complete, and we are not recalculating GPAs with winter term marks. We are waiting for the tuition deposit deadline to determine if we can issue more offers of admission.  Over the late spring or early summer we will be issuing the wait list and denial decisions"

I was wondering if I should reply. I find it unfair, especially for those who have their 4th term winter marks as their best marks. Also, if you end up being part of the waitlist, what is the chances you would get a definitive answer before the firm acceptance deadline?

Edited by OrcaWhale7

1 hour ago, OrcaWhale7 said:

I emailed Ryerson asking them when the next round of offers will occur (we are getting closer to the firm acceptance deadline on July 2nd) and included in my email if they were going to look at our 4th term winter marks. Part of their reply was the following:

"Our application assessment is complete, and we are not recalculating GPAs with winter term marks. We are waiting for the tuition deposit deadline to determine if we can issue more offers of admission.  Over the late spring or early summer we will be issuing the wait list and denial decisions"

I was wondering if I should reply. I find it unfair, especially for those who have their 4th term winter marks as their best marks. Also, if you end up being part of the waitlist, what is the chances you would get a definitive answer before the firm acceptance deadline?

Just say thank you if you want to reply.

"we are not recalculating GPAs with winter term marks"- perfectly normal.

"We are waiting for the tuition deposit deadline to determine if we can issue more offers of admission" All spots are filled unless someone decline. Just in case someone has accepted or provisionally accepted and changed their mind.

Ryerson is a new school, no one can really tell you about their wait list.

You may have to decide whether you want to firm accept Lakehead before July 2 if you want to keep your application  for other Ontario schools open.

Posted (edited)

If this is true, that's kind of BS in my opinion.

*oop according to LuckyCharm who knows a lot more than I do about the admission process, it's normal. I may have jumped the gun. 

Edited by FVV23

6 minutes ago, FVV23 said:

If this is true, that's kind of BS in my opinion.

*oop according to LuckyCharm who knows a lot more than I do about the admission process, it's normal. I may have jumped the gun. 

Ryerson is a new school. i have no idea how they operate.

However, there is always the next cycle.

• Like 1

Is it surprising though if a school chooses not to use last term in its GPA calculation with everything that went on last term? While you may have performed well, covid could have impacted other people's grades negatively, not to mention any P/Fs taken.

For every one of you, there might be 2 other people who are thankful those grades didn't get counted. Just some perspective.

2 hours ago, satyrncity said:

Is it surprising though if a school chooses not to use last term in its GPA calculation with everything that went on last term? While you may have performed well, covid could have impacted other people's grades negatively, not to mention any P/Fs taken.

For every one of you, there might be 2 other people who are thankful those grades didn't get counted. Just some perspective.

Honestly, unless there is a really good reason, the measures every university took regarded COVID should not make it difficult for students to succeed - especially for those who wish to go to law school. 

But another thing worth considering is some people (such as myself) have completed two year round classes. So while I worked on 10 classes, only 3 appeared on my fall transcript, while the other 7 came with winter term marks. 

42 minutes ago, OrcaWhale7 said:

Honestly, unless there is a really good reason, the measures every university took regarded COVID should not make it difficult for students to succeed - especially for those who wish to go to law school. 

But another thing worth considering is some people (such as myself) have completed two year round classes. So while I worked on 10 classes, only 3 appeared on my fall transcript, while the other 7 came with winter term marks. 

Imagine the amount of work for the admission staff if they have to review a few hundreds applicant's grades from winter term.

However, this is not to say that they definitely will not request to see an applicant's winter term grades. Western deferred decision and request their winter tern grades for some applicants. Ryerson may do that for a handful of applicants too but obviously not from everyone.

18 hours ago, OrcaWhale7 said:

I guess they are waiting for June 1st to offer more spots (that is the tuition deposit deadline). I would assume more spots will open up based on their acceptance leeway and students who choose other schools. 

Also, one of the admins on facebook took a survey of students who were offered a spot and only 27% of them firmly accepted, 32% provisional and 40% no response. Just thought i’d let you know. 

Edited by Lawguy1