LetMeIn2020

UofT Law Fall 2020 Announcement

Really frustrating they are asking students to immediately pursue housing without knowing what proportion of classes will be in person. For example, if its one class a week, I can manage a 1-1.5 hour commute from my parents but if its 4x per week thats a different situation. 

Would love to know how others are navigating this situation.

• Like 1

My guess is that Legal Research and Writing + Small Group courses will be in person, since those had 20 students or less in each class. Of course, they could be rejigging things so I could be completely wrong. Small group was 2x a week and LRW was once a week. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, potentiallawstudent8 said:

Really frustrating they are asking students to immediately pursue housing without knowing what proportion of classes will be in person. For example, if its one class a week, I can manage a 1-1.5 hour commute from my parents but if its 4x per week thats a different situation. 

Would love to know how others are navigating this situation.

I feel the exact same way. Not sure whether I should seriously consider finding housing. 

From the FAQ: "If your health and living circumstances allow you to attend classes and other activities in person, we strongly recommend that you do so as much as possible."

Sounds like I'll be moving to Toronto in August. It would be disappointing to have it all be for 3 classes a week, but it does sound like UofT will do all it can to have as much in-person programming as possible. The only thing worse than having the entire semester online would be for most of the classes/extracurriculars to be in person, and me to be stuck at home. 

Time to start online shopping for winter coats...

I'm planning to move based on their announcement.

Highly looking forward to the much anticipated second peak resurgence in September where they cancel classes again, after I've signed a lease and am stuck in Toronto. *sarcasm*

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, albertabean said:

I'm planning to move based on their announcement.

Highly looking forward to the much anticipated second peak resurgence in September where they cancel classes again, after I've signed a lease and am stuck in Toronto. *sarcasm*

No one knows, but you think that the covid second wave will strike schools in this fall? I also think so...

Edited by ArchivesandMuseums
editing

3 hours ago, ArchivesandMuseums said:

No one knows, but you think that the covid second wave will strike schools in this fall? I also think so...

Who knows, but considering how many universities are opening it seems quite likely, especially coupled with opened public schools and a more businesses operating (I assume) :(  I'm sure all the universities are building contingency plans for just this eventuality. 

Many medical professionals have been predicting a returning surge in September.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, erinl2 said:

Many medical professionals have been predicting a returning surge in September.

For sure, the science is indicating that’s likely to be the case

I’m working with one of U of T’s clinics this summer and have been told that it’s looking like upper year clinic courses will likely be in person (although with more remote elements than usual, and possibly reduced seminar length). Not sure if this necessarily implies anything for other courses/1L extracurricular clinics, but it’s interesting to note. 

1 hour ago, subwaysandwich said:

I’m working with one of U of T’s clinics this summer and have been told that it’s looking like upper year clinic courses will likely be in person (although with more remote elements than usual, and possibly reduced seminar length). Not sure if this necessarily implies anything for other courses/1L extracurricular clinics, but it’s interesting to note. 

Yes, their FAQ and email to 1Ls made it seem as though much of the ECs will be in-person, and as many classes as possible too. I guess we'll find out more in the coming months!