kmon

U of A vs Osgoode

If money and distance weren’t an issue and I don’t have a preferred area of law, which school and why. 

Thanks!

You're going to get the same response - do you want to work in Toronto/Ontario or Alberta? 

I'd say in general, Osgoode travels a bit better to the Alberta/Calgary market, but UofA is less visible in Toronto. Speaking mostly about large firms. 

I’m not looking to work in either province. I’ll probably stay in the west after completing JD. 

9 minutes ago, OzStudent said:

You're going to get the same response - do you want to work in Toronto/Ontario or Alberta? 

3 hours ago, kmon said:

If money and distance weren’t an issue and I don’t have a preferred area of law, which school and why. 

Thanks!

But money and distance are issues.  Big ones!

The question is never "which school is better" - people have been having those debates for years without any conclusions.  The question instead is "which school is better for me".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kmon said:

I’m not looking to work in either province. I’ll probably stay in the west after completing JD. 

If you are going to stay in the West, go to UofA – last time I checked, it was in the West. It is also much much cheaper than Osgoode. If you aren't planning on being in Toronto (or even Ontario as you have suggested) then this is a no brainer. 

Go to UofA.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Malicious Prosecutor said:

The question is never "which school is better" - people have been having those debates for years without any conclusions. 

I agree with the gist of your post, with the exception of this categorical statement. Let's be frank, sometimes there is an answer to that.

With that said, I of course agree that the OP's question is not one of those cases.

I have law degrees from both of these schools, UofA had a better community but Osgoode has better courses, facilities and is in a nicer city. 

If I had unlimited funds, I would choose Osgoode.

• Like 1

I take it to mean you could afford any tuition charged and don’t care about distance for interviews or moving before or after school. You want to work in the West, although not Alberta (sort of suspecting BC from this, although Saskatchewan and Manitoba are possibilities).

I’d suggest the U of A, as I’d guess your community and group of peers from Edmonton are somewhat more likely to practice in BC/SK compared to those from Oz/Toronto—not sure about Manitoba.

• Like 1

If you're working in BC/AB, go to U of A. I've met way more U of A students in BC than Osgoode students.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mal said:

I have law degrees from both of these schools, UofA had a better community but Osgoode has better courses, facilities and is in a nicer city. 

If I had unlimited funds, I would choose Osgoode.

Thanks this was helpful. I definitely don’t have unlimited funds I just didn’t want to get posts focused on the cost comparison, something I’ve already considered. 

20 hours ago, Malicious Prosecutor said:

The question instead is "which school is better for me".

I wanted to find out which school is better for me by getting a comparison of what both schools have to offer during and after law school. The money and distance for both schools has already been considered.

So far, I have U of A as: collegial, less course offerings, good student to faculty ratio (not sure if this is still true given my next point), 20% government funding cut pre pandemic (1,000 layoffs etc)

Osgoode: bigger classes, less collegial, more course offerings, internationally recognized

I’ve been told by a west coast lawyer responsible for student recruitment that if two grads interviewed and they were basically equal with the only difference of one having gone to U of A and the other to Osgoode, Osgoode would tip the scale. 

50 minutes ago, kmon said:

I wanted to find out which school is better for me by getting a comparison of what both schools have to offer during and after law school. The money and distance for both schools has already been considered.

So far, I have U of A as: collegial, less course offerings, good student to faculty ratio (not sure if this is still true given my next point), 20% government funding cut pre pandemic (1,000 layoffs etc)

Osgoode: bigger classes, less collegial, more course offerings, internationally recognized

I’ve been told by a west coast lawyer responsible for student recruitment that if two grads interviewed and they were basically equal with the only difference of one having gone to U of A and the other to Osgoode, Osgoode would tip the scale. 

Here's what both schools have to offer you: a JD, and the ability to practice law after articling.

The problem is that many of the items you have listed can be so subjective.  Take "collegial" for example.  That's largely going to depend on the specific group of student who are in your classes, and thus is pretty much just a matter of luck.  Or "internationally recognized", or your west coast professor - different people hiring (or hiring overseas) will have different opinions.

Now class size and number of offerings are objective measures, sure.  But how important are they to you?  How important is it that Osgoode Hall offers a course in (checks the google machine) Entertainment and Sports Law, while U of A doesn't, if you have no intention of taking that course?

4 minutes ago, Malicious Prosecutor said:

Now class size and number of offerings are objective measures, sure.  But how important are they to you?  How important is it that Osgoode Hall offers a course in (checks the google machine) Entertainment and Sports Law, while U of A doesn't, if you have no intention of taking that course?

I’m looking to soak up everything I can from my time at law school. I want good course selection, great faculty, and established legal clinics. Those things matter to me. I want to get in it. Use the resources. Get exposed to various areas of law outside of what I’ve already studied. 

I already have connections to the legal community in the province that I’ll be residing post JD so I’m purely interested in what each school has to offer. 

4 minutes ago, kmon said:

I’m looking to soak up everything I can from my time at law school. I want good course selection, great faculty, and established legal clinics. Those things matter to me. I want to get in it. Use the resources. Get exposed to various areas of law outside of what I’ve already studied. 

I already have connections to the legal community in the province that I’ll be residing post JD so I’m purely interested in what each school has to offer. 

You will get those things at every established Canadian law school (jury is still out on TRU, Lakehead and Ryerson).  They all have decent faculty (and often the best, most influential professors will not be the ones with big reputations).  They all have established legal clinics.

And connections in the legal community isn't just about getting a job.  The people you go to law school with will often wind up being some of your closest friends.  If you practice in the same location you go to law school, those classmates will be your colleagues, your partners, the people who refer you work.  The social experience of law school is easily more important than the academic part.

8 minutes ago, Malicious Prosecutor said:

The people you go to law school with will often wind up being some of your closest friends.  If you practice in the same location you go to law school, those classmates will be your colleagues, your partners, the people who refer you work.  The social experience of law school is easily more important than the academic part.

100% agree with the importance of the social aspect of law school but it sounds like these connections are mostly built in the first year with your cohort. After first year it’s one off classes that you register in depending on your interests. Since fall is online and potentially the winter (really don’t want to derail this topic with a covid debate), I’m not getting those first year connections. I’m assuming you’ve attended law school so let me know if I’m way off the mark re first year connections vs 2nd/3rd year connections. 

Just now, kmon said:

100% agree with the importance of the social aspect of law school but it sounds like these connections are mostly built in the first year with your cohort. After first year it’s one off classes that you register in depending on your interests. Since fall is online and potentially the winter (really don’t want to derail this topic with a covid debate), I’m not getting those first year connections. I’m assuming you’ve attended law school so let me know if I’m way off the mark re first year connections vs 2nd/3rd year connections. 

I don't know why you wouldn't just assume that those connections would be established once you're able to attend in person. That would be my assumption.

45 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

I don't know why you wouldn't just assume that those connections would be established once you're able to attend in person. That would be my assumption.

I did a majority of my undergrad online so that’s what I base my assumption on. You never really interact with the students aside from posting once per week to a discussion about the assigned readings. From what I know there isn’t much in the way of group projects in law classes, again if that’s off mark correct me. My internet isn’t great so zoom hangouts aren’t awesome... even if internet connection was great, zoom hangouts aren’t awesome. (Awesome = enjoyable)

29 minutes ago, kmon said:

I did a majority of my undergrad online so that’s what I base my assumption on. You never really interact with the students aside from posting once per week to a discussion about the assigned readings. From what I know there isn’t much in the way of group projects in law classes, again if that’s off mark correct me. My internet isn’t great so zoom hangouts aren’t awesome... even if internet connection was great, zoom hangouts aren’t awesome. (Awesome = enjoyable)

No, but even if you're all-online for first year, once you attend classes in person in second year you'll make friends.  The reason you don't make as many friends in 2nd and 3rd year (and not that you don't make any) is that your social groups tend to already be set.  But if they aren't set because of a online first year, everyone is starting from square one in second year.

• Like 2