Posted (edited)

Ottawa has announced they're raising the required class averages, I guess starting next year.

Faculty Council adopted the following proposition:

That the GPA be increased by 0.5 points for all courses, and that first year, small group classes (including the research and writing component) be subject to the higher GPA.  These changes will be reflected as follows in Rule 18.2 of the Academic Regulations, Grading Guidelines as follows:

18.2     Course Grade Point Average Guidelines

A course grade point average guideline is fixed for the following categories

·         Elective (“thematic”) first year courses (English Program only):                    7.0

·         First year small group courses                                                                                    7.0 (note: formerly 6.0)

·         CML1611: Compétences et habliétés jurisdiques and CML 1101:

Legal Foundations: Research Strategy, Analysis                                                  7.0 (note: formerly 6.0)

·         Alternative Dispute Resolution CML 1106/Introduction à la
résolution des différends CML 1506:                                                                   7.0

·         other first year courses:                                                                                         6.5

·         upper year seminar courses:                                                                                 7.0

·         upper year non-seminar courses:                                                                         6.5

All other aspects of Rule 18 remain unchanged (for instance, the maximum deviation from the mandated GPA is a 0.8). 

The committee further agreed to recommend that Faculty Council be invited to consider requests to deviate from the guidelines if very compelling circumstances are presented to the committee.  The Vice Deans of both programs will provide guidelines to professors seeking an exception to ensure they provide a thorough justification.  This does not require a change to Rule 18, since Rule 18.4 already contemplates this possibility.

No word on whether they're planning on adjusting the requirements for Dean's Honour List (7.5/semester) or graduation distinctions (cGPA 7.0/8.0/8.5) accordingly.  

Nor any word on whether they're planning on changing the internal requirements to apply to the ONCA or SCC (cGPA 8.0).

Edited by easttowest
  • Like 1

Forgive my idiocy, but what does this mean? :o

Also, is Ottawa on a 10-point scale?

*I have a lot to learn before I get there*

9 minutes ago, HopefulE said:

Forgive my idiocy, but what does this mean? :o

Also, is Ottawa on a 10-point scale?

*I have a lot to learn before I get there*

Most incoming 1Ls are not familiar with our law school. Please refer to this: https://commonlaw.uottawa.ca/en/students/student-centre/registration/registration-student-responsibilities/academic-regulations

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, secretdisplayname said:

I am horrible at math and understanding this. Can someone please explain it in basic terms?

Formerly, most of Ottawa's courses were averaged to a 6.0/10 (B), with generally 0.8 of wiggle room for profs to be over or under 6.0 (there's a bit more nuance to that, but that's the general idea). Seminar courses, the 1L thematic, and ADR were averaged to 6.5/10 with the same wiggle room. 

Now, most courses will be averaged to a 6.5 (mid-B) with the same wiggle room. 1L small group, thematic, ADR, and seminar courses will be averaged to a 7.0 (B+). 

Some chatter I've seen is that this will allow profs to avoid having to average their classes down, which happens from time to time. For a lot of students, a .5 here and there is the difference between Dean's Honour List (not that this really matters, as far as I know there isn't actually a list kept somewhere), graduate distinctions and the clerkship cutoff cGPA, so I'd be really interested to see how the school addresses that. 

Edited by easttowest

It's a long shot but considering that changes came into effect April 1st, does anyone think this will be applied retroactively to the last semester/year? 

13 minutes ago, TrevorPhilips said:

It's a long shot but considering that changes came into effect April 1st, does anyone think this will be applied retroactively to the last semester/year? 

They certainly will not apply retroactively. Even if they did apply to Winter 2020, your grades would already reflect the change, since as you noted, the change was approved on April 1, well before the deadline for profs to submit their grades.

Edited by easttowest
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, easttowest said:

They certainly will not apply retroactively. Even if they did apply to Winter 2020, your grades would already reflect the change, since as you noted, the change was approved on April 1, well before the deadline for profs to submit their grades.

Very true

If Ottawa starts curving to a B+ and all of the other law schools are still curving to a B, how will law firms assess transcripts from Ottawa compared to other schools? I know employers must already have a challenge with UofT.

14 hours ago, Fian said:

If Ottawa starts curving to a B+ and all of the other law schools are still curving to a B, how will law firms assess transcripts from Ottawa compared to other schools? I know employers must already have a challenge with UofT.

They'll treat B+ students at Ottawa as average Ottawa students, while treating B students at other law schools as average students at their respective schools. 

• Like 1