lawschoolhopeful6

Living Arrangements for Out of Province Students

Posted (edited)

Assuming classes are completely online in the Fall (which seems likely at this point), is anyone planning to live in their home province as opposed to moving to Kingston for the term?

I have seen the idea thrown around but it doesn't seem like the smartest idea. You would likely save some money in the end, but I imagine you'd miss out on a lot of the 1L experience, even despite the current situation (i.e. meeting new people, attending social events, familiarizing yourself with the campus/city, etc.).

I guess the potential for a hybrid, in-person class approach is another thing to consider (if they end up doing this at all). Would they conduct these in-person classes all at the end of the term for the classes that needed it? Or would they likely take place throughout the term at different points in time?

I would appreciate anyone's insight on the thought of staying in your home province for the term if it is completely online. 😊

Thanks!!

Edited by lawschoolhopeful6
Correction

Assuming classes are completely online in the Fall (which seems likely at this point), is anyone planning to live in their home province as opposed to moving to Kingston for the term?

From the last official statement Queens put out, it's entirely possible it could be a hybrid. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, FVV23 said:

From the last official statement Queens put out, it's entirely possible it could be a hybrid. 

Yeah I suppose I'm wondering if, even if it is hybrid, we would be required to live there for the entire term.. or if the in-person portion would be conducted at the end of the term and could be something we could just fly out for for a couple weeks. I guess only time will tell.

Edited by lawschoolhopeful6
Correction

From what I’ve seen with other schools in Canada and the US, even if it is hybrid, the in class portions will be optional. So you wouldn’t be penalized if you don’t move and opt for distanced learning only. 

• Like 1

Queen's just sent an official email out saying they are doing a hybrid model, but it will not be mandatory for everyone. Now that they have officially sent this email out, I anticipate that many people will move to Kingston. In terms of your concerns of missing out, I think if you don't move it will make it that much harder to bond with the people that do (which will likely be a majority of the students) 

30 minutes ago, lawcat said:

Queen's just sent an official email out saying they are doing a hybrid model, but it will not be mandatory for everyone. Now that they have officially sent this email out, I anticipate that many people will move to Kingston. In terms of your concerns of missing out, I think if you don't move it will make it that much harder to bond with the people that do (which will likely be a majority of the students) 

Queens Law school?

Did they send it out today?

I haven't received anything yet. 

11 minutes ago, FVV23 said:

Queens Law school?

Did they send it out today?

I haven't received anything yet. 

Yes! Queen's Law School!

14 minutes ago, lawcat said:

Yes! Queen's Law School!

Hmm I don't seem to have anything in the mail yet but could you please share what was said?

53 minutes ago, lawcat said:

In terms of your concerns of missing out, I think if you don't move it will make it that much harder to bond with the people that do (which will likely be a majority of the students) 

Yeah this was my exact thought too!

The most recent communication today makes it sound like it wouldn't be a problem to live in your home province (as the in-person portion will not be mandatory like you mentioned), however I still feel like it would be a mistake to pass up the somewhat hindered 1L experience.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, FVV23 said:

Hmm I don't seem to have anything in the mail yet but could you please share what was said?

Honestly I mostly skimmed through it, but they are planning a hybrid model but it will not be mandatory to attend the in-person component if you don't feel safe. Additionally, extra curriculars are probably going to happen in a modified way

Posted (edited)

They said that there will be in-person stuff in addition to the online courses but that if you didn't want to move because of health or family reasons, you can do the entire semester online. They would have arrangements made for the in-person stuff to also be online. As well as speaking events and the like. 

Edited by mapledrank

29 minutes ago, lawschoolhopeful6 said:

Yeah this was my exact thought too!

The most recent communication today makes it sound like it wouldn't be a problem to live in your home province (as the in-person portion will not be mandatory like you mentioned), however I still feel like it would be a mistake to pass up the somewhat hindered 1L experience.

I agree. We are having enough of 1L taken away from us, I don't think choosing to miss out on what's being given to us would be a great idea. Of course, these are just my personal opinions and everyone has unique circumstances amidst COVID

• Like 1

It depends where you are! I'm currently doing online classes from B.C. and I have to wake up at 7:00am for a 10am class. I'll be going back to Kingston in the fall, since 830am classes would not be feasible for me.