lawr

Recommended tech for law school

Hello! Covid/social distancing not withstanding... what are the recommendations for technology for law school?

macbook? Will I have to get MS word as a processor then? Or are assignments PDF (and therefore getting MS software not necessary)  

any laptop as long as it has word processor and Internet?

has anyone used something like an iPad Pro plus a keyboard/pen? Can you do exams on this setup? I’m sort of leaning to this. 

thanks in advance. My MacBook Air is dead...and $1000 to repair. I’m not opposed to getting another MacBook but I want to see what other options are, because I could stand to replace my iPad too. 

I would recommend a good, solid laptop. MacBook Air or Pro is always a safe bet. In addition, I would imagine being well acquainted with Microsoft Office (which is now fully available on Mac). 

The iPad and keyboard is just not my thing. The pen is also neat for taking some notes on things I suppose. Frankly, it is just not for me. iPads are wonderful, however, to read PDFs and case law as well if you do not feel like being at your desk or whatever. So that's a reason to have an iPad in itself, but I wouldn't recommend just having an iPad. 

I bought a MacBook Pro in 2013 and still use it, without any issues at all. MS Office has Apps available to integrate with your MS Office account. 

If you are looking for a good windows based laptop, then I highly recommend anything from Lenovo. It depends on what you want to do and what your budget is. Most people do not need an expensive laptop. But if you would like the possibility to play robust graphic games on your break, or watch 4K movies then you would want to look at some of their Thinkpad Workstations. I am happy to look over anything you find. 

Lenovo offers some great combination laptops that are much like the Windows Surface so they have the best of both worlds - robust laptop that can also be used as a touchscreen tablet. Lots to consider when investing in technology.

One benefit of buying a more robust laptop now, is that with proper use and care your laptop can last you several years. 

I hope this was somewhat helpful.

Posted (edited)

I second the laptop recommendation!

Things will likely be different this year thanks to Covid, but normally all of our in-person exams are written on our personal laptops using a program called Examplify. I'm not sure if Examplify can be used on iPads. Either way, I would strongly recommend getting a laptop. You can always write exams by hand as well, but it comes down to what you prefer to do.

Edited by prairiebird
clarity

All u of M students get the full Microsoft office suite for free. so Mac or PC, don't worry about buying Microsoft word.

On 5/18/2020 at 4:30 PM, lawr said:

has anyone used something like an iPad Pro plus a keyboard/pen? Can you do exams on this setup? I’m sort of leaning to this. 

You won't be able to write exams on an iPad - you need full MacOS or Windows 10, not iOS or iPadOS. You can still get an iPad if you want, there are digital versions of textbooks and you'll be reading a lot of PDFs, but you'll need something else to write exams with.

Most people had Macbook Airs/Pros, I had a HP Spectre x360 that I bought in 2017 and ran flawlessly all through law school.

I also recommend getting comfy headphones or earbuds that block out sound for when you study in public areas.

Edited by canuckfanatic