Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I'm going into my 4th year of my undergrad and was thinking of applying this year , but I am unsure because my first year marks are not the best and I want them to have my 4th year grades. How would schools look at my 4th year grades when acceptances roll out before I have them? Thanks!

Edited by Erika1178
spelling error

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you mind give us an idea what do you mean by "are not the best" ?

Some schools will look at L2, B2 ,B3 and some schools drop some of your bad experiences. 

We can give you some idea if tell us where do you want to apply?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Erika1178 said:

I'm going into my 4th year of my undergrad and was thinking of applying this year , but I am unsure because my first year marks are not the best and I want them to have my 4th year grades. How would schools look at my 4th year grades when acceptances roll out before I have them? Thanks!

I guess it depends on the rest of you package e.g. your other marks and LSAT score.
 

I had pretty bad first year grades but strong second and third year grades. I was fortunate to receive a few offers in early December (before fourth year first semester grades were sent). If that doesn’t happen for you, don’t worry, because the majority of acceptances will come out after the new year, at which point they will have some fourth year grades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you taken the LSAT yet? Don't freak out about one year of bad grades- remember that most schools weigh your GPA and your LSAT equally so a good LSAT score can make literally all the difference. Focus on doing well on the LSAT and your first year grades won't really matter at all. I had poor grades in first year but a high LSAT and good second and third year grades and I had no trouble getting in 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RollMaster said:

I guess it depends on the rest of you package e.g. your other marks and LSAT score.
 

I had pretty bad first year grades but strong second and third year grades. I was fortunate to receive a few offers in early December (before fourth year first semester grades were sent). If that doesn’t happen for you, don’t worry, because the majority of acceptances will come out after the new year, at which point they will have some fourth year grades.

Okay good to know! Also, I wanted to inquire if volunteer and extracurriculars are really important?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Emekj said:

Have you taken the LSAT yet? Don't freak out about one year of bad grades- remember that most schools weigh your GPA and your LSAT equally so a good LSAT score can make literally all the difference. Focus on doing well on the LSAT and your first year grades won't really matter at all. I had poor grades in first year but a high LSAT and good second and third year grades and I had no trouble getting in 

I took it last year...I was the first set of tests where half got the old-fashioned paper and half got the digital...I got the digital and after practicing on paper for months it threw me off a bit. I'm retaking it in July. If you don't mind me asking, what percentile were you in? Just trying to gauge what type of a good LSAT mark we are talking about

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Luckycharm said:

Do you mind give us an idea what do you mean by "are not the best" ?

Some schools will look at L2, B2 ,B3 and some schools drop some of your bad experiences. 

We can give you some idea if tell us where do you want to apply?

 

Yes of course! Not the best as in low 70s, but then my 2nd and 3rd years have been high 80s and my yearly average has kept increasing. I'm looking to apply to Osgoode, U of T, Queens, and uOttawa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Erika1178 said:

Okay good to know! Also, I wanted to inquire if volunteer and extracurriculars are really important?

They matter to some degree, but it’s hard to quantify. I wouldn’t characterize them as “really important”. Certainly, there are schools that place more weight on them (e.g. Windsor). But by and large your GPA (or B2/B3/L2 depending on the school) + LSAT are far more important.
 

As long as you’ve done something - because doing absolutely nothing may leave the admissions committees with the impression that you’re a square who can only focus on schoolwork - you’ll be alright. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Erika1178 said:

Yes of course! Not the best as in low 70s, but then my 2nd and 3rd years have been high 80s and my yearly average has kept increasing. I'm looking to apply to Osgoode, U of T, Queens, and uOttawa.

OZ and Ottawa- cGPA

U of T - B3

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...