ArchivesandMuseums

Should I move to Ottawa?

As many people may know, uOttawa law has announced that its Fall 2020 classes will be online. Despite this decision, many incoming 1Ls at uOttawa seem to decide to move to Ottawa before September.

I prefer staying at my home with my wife and son during the Fall 2020 term because they are not able to move to Ottawa with me. I really want to spend more time with my family and save money as well.

My concern is that I may be academically or socially disadvantaged if the law school resumes in-person classes during the Fall 2020 term. In order to prevent these disadvantages, do I have to move to Ottawa before September?

Thank you very much in advance for any advice or suggestions.

• Like 1

I am super conflicted on moving. I think it's great that I can save money on rent and living expenses, but on the other hand, I live in another province with a different time zone (8am classes will be 6am classes for me lol). @erinl2 wrote a great post in another thread whether or not to move. 

If things do get better in lets say, October, then the school would try to transition to limited in-person classes. It would be nice to physically attend/ socialize/ study together/ get to know your profs? 

A huge factor that's leaning on me is the idea of moving in December. I hear that Ottawa's got shit winters and the competition of finding a space to live... I can't fathom how awful it would be to fight for a place, stranded with no place to live by 1st of January.... 

I believe it's prudent to move, but not entirely necessary. 

• Thanks 1

I am sure you will not be academically disadvantaged by staying home since everyone will have to go through the learning process as far as online classes go. That being said, If I was in you position and I had the option to save money and stay with family, I'd take it in a heartbeat. You can always move later on perhaps during the winter semester if it becomes necessary. I also dont see being socially disadvantaged is reason enough to consider moving since social distancing orders will remain at least until the vaccine comes out and so everyone is sill in the same boat. 

• Thanks 1

I'm moving, but I also don't have a family (husband/children) that I'd be leaving behind. That would greatly change things for me.

If you do not chose to move for September you won't have to go it alone. If you want, we can Zoom (or whatever) to study/run things by each other. And I'm certain that I'm not the only person entering L1 that would offer this :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ArchivesandMuseums said:

As many people may know, uOttawa law has announced that its Fall 2020 classes will be online. Despite this decision, many incoming 1Ls at uOttawa seem to decide to move to Ottawa before September.

I prefer staying at my home with my wife and son during the Fall 2020 term because they are not able to move to Ottawa with me. I really want to spend more time with my family and save money as well.

My concern is that I may be academically or socially disadvantaged if the law school resumes in-person classes during the Fall 2020 term. In order to prevent these disadvantages, do I have to move to Ottawa before September?

Thank you very much in advance for any advice or suggestions.

How far away are you from Ottawa?

If I were in your position I would only consider the potential impact on family. Missing on social opportunities is likely to be negligible. If there's no classes, there's no stuffy wine and cheese mixer you just absolutely have to go to if you want to get in to the corporate/big law game. 

I don't have a kid. I can imagine that moving from the GTA and being away from my partner just for online classes would feel hollow though. I can't pretend to know about what responsibilities there are to look after a kid - but if I were stuck holding the reins on that one while my partner moved away I don't think it would sit well. That's a tough one to balance. 

You also have the option of waiting for the very best possible housing option. You don't need to move at the beginning of September. There's nothing preventing you from a late October of December move. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ArchivesandMuseums said:

I live in GTA.

If you have to go to Ottawa only once a week. I think it is doable.  Tell the school this is what you are planning to do and 

you want to know how many days you have to be in Ottawa so that you can arrange housing etc.

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much for the responses that I have received; I really appreciate them.

Currently, I am leaning towards staying at GTA with my family until uOttawa law gives us any updates regarding the arrangement of classes during the Fall 2020 term.

In any events, I will immediately move to Ottawa once the law school resumes in-person classes.

Thank you again. 

In regards to the switch back to classes, I suspect they wont be giving much of a notice, I expect something in the realm of 1-3 weeks if they announce that in-class learning can proceed alongside online. That might be a small time frame to move if you are still out-of-town. Something to keep in mind. This might also be in the middle of October/November at which point you would only move for the second semester. Best of luck to you.

• Thanks 1

After reading the FAQ of uOttawa, it stated that they will know what will happen in the winter term closer to September, so you will have almost 4 months to prepare for the winter term in terms of living arrangements. Also, they stated that the fall 2020 semester will be completed online and possible to complete solely online regardless if they start in person classes. I am on the same boat, and I'm leaning towards staying in the GTA than moving. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, legallyillegal said:

After reading the FAQ of uOttawa, it stated that they will know what will happen in the winter term closer to September, so you will have almost 4 months to prepare for the winter term in terms of living arrangements. Also, they stated that the fall 2020 semester will be completed online and possible to complete solely online regardless if they start in person classes. I am on the same boat, and I'm leaning towards staying in the GTA than moving. 

Hi, thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate it. I think that we can also create virtual study groups by using Google Meet or Zoom during the Fall 2020 term. Thank you again!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

If you're able to sufficiently do work at home, I don't believe you'll be disadvantaged by not being in Ottawa.

Dean Dodek said in an email that the fall term will be completely administered online. Professors will keep this in mind when designing course materials and evaluation. There may be opportunities to attend optional in-person lectures, but in my opinion this is unlikely for the fall semester. Even if they if in-person lectures occur, it's likely they will also be accessible online knowing that all students won't be able to attend.

In my 1 year at uOttawa, I've noticed that the school makes great efforts to help students through necessary accommodations and the way they have handled this COVID-19 situation has put student's minds, myself included, at ease. They understand the impact it has on students & faculty and when the time comes to resume "normal" law school at uOttawa, I am sure they will implement a reasonable plan on a reasonable timeline (keeping in mind many student do not live in Ottawa and their ability to find living accommodations).

Edited by theboy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just wanted to provide my input having moved to Ottawa myself and going through 1L there (I’m going into 2L now). Stay with your family!! It’s worth it, because living alone is so isolating on it’s own, but coupled with the fact that you won’t be able to meet your colleagues in the traditional sense through in-person orientation or social events, it may be really hard to adjust. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m assuming you won’t be having in-person pub nights or social events to kick off the year.   

If you read the FAQ closely, they do mention that distance/online classes will be available for the entirety of the semester, so I wouldn’t be too concerned about classes transitioning to in-person because you already are guaranteed a complete semester online. 

I live alone and my family is in a completely different province, so when classes ended because of COVID-19, I was home within a week because it’s honestly quite difficult to be away from your loved ones during this time. Not to mention, law school is expensive to begin with, it’ll be worth cutting down on your expenses. 

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me 😊

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, theboy said:

If you're able to sufficiently do work at home, I don't believe you'll be disadvantaged by not being in Ottawa.

Dean Dodek said in an email that the fall term will be completely administered online. Professors will keep this in mind when designing course materials and evaluation. There may be opportunities to attend optional in-person lectures, but in my opinion this is unlikely for the fall semester. Even if they if in-person lectures occur, it's likely they will also be accessible online knowing that all students won't be able to attend.

In my 1 year at uOttawa, I've noticed that the school makes great efforts to help students through necessary accommodations and the way they have handled this COVID-19 situation has put student's minds, myself included, at ease. They understand the impact it has on students & faculty and when the time comes to resume "normal" law school at uOttawa, I am sure they will implement a reasonable plan on a reasonable timeline (keeping in mind many student do not live in Ottawa and their ability to find living accommodations).

When was this e-mail sent? I'm a new uOttawa Law student and I notice that I am not receiving any official communications from the Faculty on my student e-mail. Is there a way to add myself to a mailing list?

47 minutes ago, capitalttruth said:

When was this e-mail sent? I'm a new uOttawa Law student and I notice that I am not receiving any official communications from the Faculty on my student e-mail. Is there a way to add myself to a mailing list?

I believe that the email refers to the one that has been sent to all incoming 1Ls on May 11th.

3 hours ago, capitalttruth said:

3 hours ago, ArchivesandMuseums said:

I believe that the email refers to the one that has been sent to all incoming 1Ls on May 11th.

I'm not sure about specific emails to incoming 1Ls. The dean has been giving daily/weekly email updates since mid-March when the pandemic began and classes first shifted online. There was an email that came out last week to current law students at uOttawa that stated details about their decision to move online for the fall semester. If you would like to see that email PM me.

• Thanks 1

Just to present the opposing view, I know some students with families who found juggling law school and family commitments quite difficult. A few had poor marks in 1L and believed that family demands were the reason.

Moving to Ottawa would allow you to dedicate your time almost exclusively to school without the distractions and commitments that living with family entails. I should add that I am not married and I don't have kids, so I have no personal experience in this area.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1