connorsimon

Is the Canadian Securities Course worth taking before 1L if I want to work on Bay St eventually?

Hello everyone, 

I am set to start at Queens Law in the fall, and I hope to work my way into corporate law. I recently had the opportunity to speak with a partner at a large Bay St firm and he mentioned that he took the CSC during law school. He didn't directly suggest it for me, but I'm wondering if it would be a good idea for me to take it before law school. I have, however, heard from some people that it's pointless if you don't plan to work in a job that directly requires it. I majored in history with a certificate in business (primarily econ), so part of me feels like I may be at a disadvantage when it comes to finance. 

Any suggestions? Is the CSC worth it? Are there other online certificate programs that could help me learn more about securities before starting in the fall?

Thanks! 

No. Absolutely not. Your primary goal is getting good grades and converting interviews. That's like buying a $2,000 suit today because it would be useful as a partner. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, grishamlaw said:

No. Absolutely not. Your primary goal is getting good grades and converting interviews. That's like buying a $2,000 suit today because it would be useful as a partner. 

Amazing analogy, I love it. 

Not needed at all. It'd probably be helpful in speaking the lingo of clients, but I'd bet the majority of corporate/securities lawyers on Bay Street don't have any business credentials or education. You learn everything law-related on the job.

nobody cares about csc save for the unfortunate people who wasted their time and money on this 'designation' 

No. Of the securities lawyers at my firm, only 1 has their CSC, and they had a career prior to law for which having their CSC was (arguably) relevant.

Your law school will (probably) offer an introductory course on securities regulation that should give you a basic understanding, but mostly you'll learn what you need to know on the job.

• Like 1

I will be happily practising in securities litigation with my philosophy degree.

• Like 2

You don't need it. Most don't have it. It might give you a minor advantage, but it's nothing like a CFA. I wouldn't do it if your goal is making it into Bay St. Focus on your grades, which will be your largest factor in determining if you get a job on Bay St.

I'm doubtful. Also starting law school in September and currently work in the securities industry (non law-related position). I had to take it as part of job requirement, and it's largely seen as a pretty easy "read and memorize the textbook" course that's mostly done because it's an IIROC requirement.

There's probably some cheaper and better way of getting relevant knowledge. If you still want to look at the course for its content, you could just read through the (very dry and repetitive) textbooks. They shouldn't be hard to find second-hand.

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2020 at 6:26 PM, grishamlaw said:

Just a personal opinion, 2k suits are for associates only,  partners should wear 6k suits such as Tom Ford, Kiton or Brioni.

Edited by abcsucker

7 minutes ago, abcsucker said:

Just a personal opinion, 2k suits are for associates only,  partners should wear 6k suits such as Tom Ford, Kiton or Brioni.

Caveat:  Morgans LLP insists on Saville Row.  The firm has a grudge against italians / italy in general since Italian Republic refused to pay for a bunch of work the firm had done for Mussolini / the Republic of Salò.

9 minutes ago, kurrika said:

Caveat:  Morgans LLP insists on Saville Row.  The firm has a grudge against italians / italy in general since Italian Republic refused to pay for a bunch of work the firm had done for Mussolini / the Republic of Salò.

They do have peculiar but good taste👍