Prince06

Articling candidate

I recently saw an ad for articiling student position but I was unsure if i am eligible to apply. I am a recent graduate from an accredit law school and just passed my P1 exam in Feb. I could not find much on LSO's website. 

If its a Canadian law school that you graduated from, you should be able to enroll in the licensing process straight away (meaning that you are eligible to apply). If you graduated from a foreign law school, you'll have to go through the NCA process first.

20 minutes ago, Prince06 said:

@lawstudent20202020  yes I recently became a licensed paralegal

I don't think paralegals qualify for articling positions. I could be wrong but I became a licensed paralegal in 2014 and at the time a few firms I applied to had open articling positions but no paralegal positions which is why they refused. 

No, you wouldn't  be eligible. Articling is a process that law school graduates complete in order to qualify as a lawyer (plus Bar exams). Law firms hire articling students with the intent of gaining a new lawyer at the end of the process.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now