kawat

uOttawa 1L: satisfactory or grade?

I have a C+ for 2 out of 8 courses; for the rest of my courses I have a B+. Taking the letter grade for the 2 courses will bring down my CGPA. Should I opt for the satisfactory/non-satisfactory option for the two C+s?

9 minutes ago, TheLegendof said:

What is the relative weight of the courses with the C+?

Both are worth 5 units. The other courses are 6, 5, 5, 3, 3, 1.

If I take the letter grade for the C+s, my cgpa is 6.39. If I choose s/ns for the two C+s, its 7. 

I would opt for the S in your position. But I'm sure people will have different opinions. 

• Like 1

uOttawa? Do our transcripts even have a cgpa calculated on it?

Employers are going to know that those grades were below the lowest grade you show – so a B at best, a C- (or I guess a D), at worst. 

Personally, I would include the grades. Realistically, they're going to assume they're C-range anyways. Showing a C+ tells the employer that you weren't a C- or C student, which is a reasonable inference they could draw.

Plus, I think employers will favour students who show their grades over those who don't. Faced with a transcript of straight B+s and two C+s or a transcript of straight B+s with two satisfactory grades, I would take the one with the guts to show their grades.

1 hour ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Employers are going to know that those grades were below the lowest grade you show – so a B at best, a C- (or I guess a D), at worst. 

Personally, I would include the grades. Realistically, they're going to assume they're C-range anyways. Showing a C+ tells the employer that you weren't a C- or C student, which is a reasonable inference they could draw.

Plus, I think employers will favour students who show their grades over those who don't. Faced with a transcript of straight B+s and two C+s or a transcript of straight B+s with two satisfactory grades, I would take the one with the guts to show their grades.

I would agree with this if the OP were only concerned about legal employment, but if they wanted to pursue an LLM (for example) the GPA difference would matter and they should take the S.

53 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

I would agree with this if the OP were only concerned about legal employment, but if they wanted to pursue an LLM (for example) the GPA difference would matter and they should take the S.

LLMs in Canada really aren't that restrictive. U of T considers only your final year of study (and requires a B+ average in that year), Osgoode states that a B average is competitive, Queens requires a B+ average, Ottawa requires only a B average, etc. 

It's certainly a relevant consideration, but in my personal opinion the increased chance at doing an LLM is not worth the risk of negative employment effects. 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, TheLegendof said:

I would opt for the S in your position. But I'm sure people will have different opinions. 

I would too.

I am not super familiar with U of O's grading system, is it like other schools where the average is B+?

If so, I don't think a C+ is going to be looked at more favourably than a C or C- and I think the possible negative inference some people might have is worth risking, rather than keeping the letter grade and tanking your GPA for the rest of law school.

Edited by Starling

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Starling said:

I would too.

I am not super familiar with U of O's grading system, is it like other schools where the average is B+?

If so, I don't think a C+ is going to be looked at more favourably than a C or C- and I think the possible negative inference some people might have is worth risking, rather than keeping the letter grade and tanking your GPA for the rest of law school.

The average is a B for every for every course but the first-year thematic and the January term course. Those are B+.

There is also no B-. The scale goes from B to C+.

Edited by TheLegendof

9 minutes ago, TheLegendof said:

The average is a B for every for every course but the first-year thematic and the January term course. Those are B+.

There is also no B-. The scale goes from B to C+.

Thank you! If there is no B- and the average is B, then keeping a C+ makes sense.