Crim: A- 
Torts: B+ 
PubCon: B+ 
Legal Foundations: B+ 
Elective: B+ 
Dispute Resolution: B+
Contracts: B
Property: B

What are my prospects for OCIs at Bay Street firms based on my grades? I feel like I have a solid application outside of grades, in terms of work experience and ECs during undergrad and law school. 

Additionally: How do firms look at transcripts?: Do they calculate an average? Put more emphasis on courses worth more credits (black letter law courses)?
Any insight on my grades and advice on what I can do on the road towards OCIs would be greatly appreciated!

Also - any thoughts on how COVID-19 will effect OCIs this year would be interesting to discuss. I am sure it will at least impact the timing of OCIs.

You've got essentially a straight B+ average, so you'll get a healthy number of OCIs but you're unlikely to get a full slate. 

General wisdom is that firms during the OCI process don't really care about what courses you got your grades in, more just the raw number. Firms will have different evaluative processes though – I know one firm that uses sessional GPA as their cutoff, and another that says something along the line of "2+ As and no Cs". 

With the OCI process likely shifting to the winter semester, I would expect law firms to focus on your first-semester 2L grades significantly more than 1L grades. First off, they're more recent data points. Second, law firms will be evaluating transcripts with a variety of pass/fail options in first year. Judging based on 2L first semester grades levels the playing field 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

Your GPA is just below 7.0 or above ?

Just below: 6.9

My guess would be around 10, in a normal year. Students being able to take their midterm grade and whatever else the faculty allowed may result in some grade inflation.

But don't lose sleep over it. I wasted my whole last summer being worried about OCIs. At the end of the day, all you can do is create a good application package to go with those strong grades.

Are you planning to apply regardless? If so, don’t lose sleep over it. Apply and see what happens. Nobody here can predict with any accuracy, other than reasoned guesses.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2020 at 4:23 PM, theboy said:

Just below: 6.9

Your GPA is good enough for 5 to 10 OCI. I didn't apply to any firm in Ottawa back then, but I was told a few firms have 7.0 to 7.3 cut off.