ppzz

Wait listed by three school

Hi guys,

So far, I have been wait listed by U of T, Osgoode and Western. Not heard back from Queens yet. This is already my second times, I do not want to do another year. Do I still have chances this year?  

Olsas gpa: 3.68, L2 and B3 are around 3.7ish

LSAT: 142-152164. 

From what ive seen this cycle and previous years, i think youll get into queens barring any blatant red flags on your application. Is your 164 from January? If so, that could be the reason for the delay! I would stay positive, you have great stats. 

I don't think it's your stats that are holding you back. Judging by your post history, I'm more likely to think that it may be your personal statement that is throwing up red flags. You wrote you're an ESL student - did you get your personal statement proofread by any of your peers who are native speakers? If you've left grammatical or spelling errors in there, it may reflect negatively upon your application.

Thanks for replying. 164 is my Jan score. I actually get an application package which people will go through everything I submitted to schools. They would correct my grammar or etc sth. I do hope this is not my problem. 

11 minutes ago, ppzz said:

Thanks for replying. 164 is my Jan score. I actually get an application package which people will go through everything I submitted to schools. They would correct my grammar or etc sth. I do hope this is not my problem. 

Edited by Astro

@ppzz

Have you started a backup plan? I'm not saying it's necessary, but it might give you some peace of mind. Also, law school is not the end-all-be-all for your career or future. It's hard to get accepted to law school and even harder to do well once you're accepted.

If you aren't admitted anywhere at the end of this cycle, reflect on why you were rejected and what you can do now/over the coming months to not only get into a school but also be a successful law student and then a successful lawyer. Getting into law school is only the first step of becoming a lawyer, remember that. I hope this gives you some insight and best of luck!

What about your LSAT writing sample? If you have poor writing skills and your writing sample has mistakes and ps is good, that is a big problem I think 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

@Ryn, out of curiosity and due to the relevance here, did you ever read people's LSAT writing sample?

Yes, frequently. As personal statements tend to be edited, many times by people other than the applicant, I felt the LSAT writing sample was a reasonable measure of a person’s general independent writing ability. If there were a lot of discrepancies between the writing in the PS versus the LSAT sample, I usually viewed that as a negative.

But my view of the sample was in no way determinative. It would be combined with all of the other factors. In the case of OP, the stats are good, so it could have been a personal statement issue or simply there are lots of other competitive applicants with similar stats this cycle. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dak said:

@ppzz

Have you started a backup plan? I'm not saying it's necessary, but it might give you some peace of mind. Also, law school is not the end-all-be-all for your career or future. It's hard to get accepted to law school and even harder to do well once you're accepted.

If you aren't admitted anywhere at the end of this cycle, reflect on why you were rejected and what you can do now/over the coming months to not only get into a school but also be a successful law student and then a successful lawyer. Getting into law school is only the first step of becoming a lawyer, remember that. I hope this gives you some insight and best of luck!

Thanks for this advice, but as an ESL student, LSAT is not an easy exam, it took my over one year to got 164, if I give up law school, I would feel sorry for myself and all the time I spend on LSAT. So far, no back up plan. Thanks though. 

1 hour ago, jatthopefullawyer said:

What about your LSAT writing sample? If you have poor writing skills and your writing sample has mistakes and ps is good, that is a big problem I think 

My writing sample is hand-written version which  was submitted at beginning of last year when LSAT is still paper-version. The pencil written one it seems quite unclear but i am not sure whether that would influence my chances. I did not submit digital one as the LSAC mentioned if you have saved writing sample, you do not need to submitted more. 

1 hour ago, ppzz said:

Thanks for this advice, but as an ESL student, LSAT is not an easy exam, it took my over one year to got 164, if I give up law school, I would feel sorry for myself and all the time I spend on LSAT. So far, no back up plan. Thanks though. 

I didn't mean studying more for the LSAT - you have a great score! I meant a more broad backup plan (hobbies, work, etc.) that will make you feel like you have a path forward if law school isn't an option in September. 

Also, the time you spent studying for the LSAT is incredibly valuable on its own - you proved that you can increase your score on a difficult exam (with English as your second language) and you probably improved your English in the process. You should be very proud of your score, continue looking forward, and keep your chin up :) 

Just now, dak said:

I didn't mean studying more for the LSAT - you have a great score! I meant a more broad backup plan (hobbies, work, etc.) that will make you feel like you have a path forward if law school isn't an option in September. 

Also, the time you spent studying for the LSAT is incredibly valuable on its own - you proved that you can increase your score on a difficult exam (with English as your second language) and you probably improved your English in the process. You should be very proud of your score, continue looking forward, and keep your chin up :) 

Thanks for the tips, this is a great idea, I will remain hope til the end of August. If still not heard anything back i might start an inter or job or study my home country bar exam etc just keep myself busy till the next cycle. Thanks for comforting me. 

Just now, ppzz said:

Thanks for the tips, this is a great idea, I will remain hope til the end of August. If still not heard anything back i might start an inter or job or study my home country bar exam etc just keep myself busy till the next cycle. Thanks for comforting me. 

That's what these discussion boards are for :)  a contingency plan doesn't hurt, so keep busy and stay focused on the big picture. I hope you hear back from schools - if you don't though, just know you always have options

• Thanks 1

Regardless of how this cycle goes for you, you should seek to improve your writing abilities because it is a necessary skill set in law school and in the legal profession.  

• Thanks 1

Are you applying as an international student? Also congrats on the 142 to 164 LSAT jump. That's extremely impressive. Did you cold write that first LSAT? 

3 hours ago, penguinh said:

Are you applying as an international student? Also congrats on the 142 to 164 LSAT jump. That's extremely impressive. Did you cold write that first LSAT? 

Yes, I am not sure about cold write meaning. But 142 is my first time, I did not do well that time. 

9 minutes ago, ppzz said:

Yes, I am not sure about cold write meaning. But 142 is my first time, I did not do well that time. 

Cold write just means that you didn't do any preparation before writing that first test.

• Thanks 1