Sign in to follow this  
Justacceptme

Fall 2020 online?

Does anyone have insight into whether courses will be delivered on campus or online? I planning on moving to Edmonton, but if courses are just online I would likely wait...

It is looking more and more likely that all Canadian universities will be online for the fall semester. I imagine the U of A will make an announcement in the next week or so. 

My email from U of A said:

"FALL TERM 2020: MOSTLY ONLINE AND REMOTE INSTRUCTION, WITH SOME IN-PERSON LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES"

Apparently there should be an announcement coming from the law school itself soon but I haven't received anything yet.

Really curious about how they're going to have us starting 1L do online classes...eager to get that email. 

The Newsletter they sent out didn't have much information regarding 1L online. Also waiting to hear from them soon as I would need to make the decision of whether to move to Edmonton for September. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, newtolaw said:

The Newsletter they sent out didn't have much information regarding 1L online. Also waiting to hear from them soon as I would need to make the decision of whether to move to Edmonton for September. 

The letter was a bit ambiguous, but I think it was clear that the fall term can be completed entirely online. Depending on your financial situation, it might be worth moving to Edmonton anyway, if classes are in-person for winter term, moving in the winter would be awful. Also, even if classes are not in person, it will likely be possible to meet fellow students in-person (obviously following social distancing recommendations). 

• Like 1

I agree with Fuzzykittenz - unless it made a significant economical sense, I still think there is merit in moving for the fall.

Moving and getting into a routine halfway through the year would be tough for full year, especially January if classes resume in person then

I’m still planning to move and hopefully partake in socially distanced socialization with other 1Ls 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Fuzzykittenz said:

The letter was a bit ambiguous, but I think it was clear that the fall term can be completed entirely online. Depending on your financial situation, it might be worth moving to Edmonton anyway, if classes are in-person for winter term, moving in the winter would be awful. Also, even if classes are not in person, it will likely be possible to meet fellow students in-person (obviously following social distancing recommendations). 

14 hours ago, BBlenky said:

I agree with Fuzzykittenz - unless it made a significant economical sense, I still think there is merit in moving for the fall.

Moving and getting into a routine halfway through the year would be tough for full year, especially January if classes resume in person then

I’m still planning to move and hopefully partake in socially distanced socialization with other 1Ls 

Those are valid points, being able to interact with other 1Ls will definitely help given the situation at hand. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If you all haven't already you should join the Facebook group, it's called University of Alberta Faculty of Law 2023 Class.

Edited by snowsuz

2 hours ago, snowsuz said:

If you all haven't already you should join the Facebook group, it's called University of Alberta Faculty of Law 2023 Class.

Yes! I have joined the Facebook group, I am looking forward to meeting all the wonderful people in person soon! 

Any new information about this? I'm also trying to make a decision about moving.