rilelaw

Do I have a chance at Western OR Queens? [3.15, 3.7]

On 5/12/2020 at 11:28 AM, Lawstudent97 said:

Law school admissions are a bit less stats based than people make them out to seem in my opinion. If you have strong softs (like actually strong softs, not president of your pre-law club) than I think you have a really good shot with a 160. But if you’re trying to get admitted based on stats alone (like I did) I would guess you would need 165+. 

Also as an aside, I know several people who scored higher than their best practice test on the real thing. So it’s definitely possible to do better. My point is mostly that practice tests aren’t always indicative of how you will do. Could go up, could go down 

Why would OP need a 165+ when their L2 GPA is at / slightly above median.

48 minutes ago, Sambo1261 said:

Because the medians are including students who didn’t just get admitted off pure stats. Admissions are holistic, you don’t just reach the median and automatically get accepted. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/12/2020 at 4:57 PM, Calgarylaw2 said:

I just thought I would comment because I see a number of people warning you how much more difficult the LSAT is then most tests and/or test anxiety can get the better of you ect. 

That is obviously true for a number of test writers, but that was not my experience at all nor was it many others. I didnt find it to be an exam that was any harder then I expected. You will have done practice tests already so you know exactly what the test is going to look like. If you never get test anxiety, I dont see why you would get it now (Unless you internalize every post about peoples struggle with the exam ;) ). I am not at all trying to belittle others experiences but if you feel confident with it, go in confident and slay it. There's no reason to assume you would do otherwise. 

Thank you so much!! I appreciate that a whole ton! That is exactly my mentality. I am pretty confident in this exam and because some ppl lower scores doesnt necessarily mean I will too. So I am going in with confidence and lots of practice/studying that I have done. 

This is so kind of you to say this and this made my day! Def made me feel a lot better and less anxious! ❤️ (I am not one for hearts on a public forum but your response was just the kindest and encouraging one so far). Thank you!! 

Edited by rilelaw
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sambo1261 said:

im assuming they meant the higher the better. And a 165 above is a solid guarantee with my L2 being strong. 

But I think as long as hit the 160 mark I should be okay. 

:)

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2020 at 7:34 AM, Lawstudent97 said:

Because the medians are including students who didn’t just get admitted off pure stats. Admissions are holistic, you don’t just reach the median and automatically get accepted. 

The fact that admissions are (often nebulously) holistic does not mean you need to shoot for the median GPA and five points above the median LSAT, that's ridiculous. I think you're overestimating the value of softs, particularly those which 0Ls frequently possess. 

Edited by Sambo1261

On 5/15/2020 at 11:22 PM, Sambo1261 said:

The fact that admissions are (often nebulously) holistic does not mean you need to shoot for the median GPA and five points above the median LSAT, that's ridiculous. I think you're overestimating the value of softs, particularly those which 0Ls frequently possess. 

Im confused can you explain a bit more pls?

On 5/14/2020 at 7:34 AM, Lawstudent97 said:

If you are talking about discretionary categories of admissions at index schools, those students who were holistically reviewed may not be counted into the statistics (I know several schools that do not report them).

4 hours ago, ProfReader said:

If you are talking about discretionary categories of admissions at index schools, those students who were holistically reviewed may not be counted into the statistics (I know several schools that do not report them).

I was referring to people admitted holistically through the general category. In my limited experience being around this cycle and last, it looks like there are many students with less competitive stats and more competitive work experience/ECs admitted across schools in Ontario.  

1 hour ago, Lawstudent97 said:

I was referring to people admitted holistically through the general category. In my limited experience being around this cycle and last, it looks like there are many students with less competitive stats and more competitive work experience/ECs admitted across schools in Ontario.  

That varies by school. Some are more holistic right from the start, while others admit a majority of their classes based on stats. It also depends on how one defines "many".

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ProfReader said:

That varies by school. Some are more holistic right from the start, while others admit a majority of their classes based on stats. It also depends on how one defines "many".

Yeah all my experience is with Ontario schools. I’m by no means an expert my perspective is coming from getting waitlisted at western and osgoode last year with a 3.72cgpa, 3.79 L2 and 162 lsat (this was decently above the medians last year for both schools) and then doing lots of personal reflection into why. Plus reading dozens of accepted threads with people getting admitted with stats much below the medians in the general category. 

My main objective is to get people to get rid of the faulty assumption (like I had) that youre gunna be accepted forsure if you meet both medians

Edited by Lawstudent97

7 minutes ago, Lawstudent97 said:

Yeah all my experience is with Ontario schools. I’m by no means an expert my perspective is coming from getting waitlisted at western and osgoode last year with a 3.72cgpa, 3.79 L2 and 162 lsat (this was decently above the medians last year for both school) and then doing lots of personal reflection into why. Plus reading dozens of accepted threads with people getting admitted with stats much below the medians in the general category. 

My main objective is to get people to get rid of the faulty assumption (like I had) that your gunna be accepted forsure if you meet both medians

You didnt get accepted. Damn. Can I know why ? 

And did you reapply for this year? What was the response if u did? 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, rilelaw said:

You didnt get accepted. Damn. Can I know why ? 

And did you reapply for this year? What was the response if u did? 

I didn’t get accepted because the rest of my application was week (references, ECs, personal statements).

After improving to a 165 LSAT, I was admitted to UBC, osgoode, western, and queens this year almost all in the very first round of offers. 
Feel free to PM me if you want more details :) 

Edited by Lawstudent97

18 minutes ago, Lawstudent97 said:

My main objective is to get people to get rid of the faulty assumption (like I had) that youre gunna be accepted forsure if you meet both medians

While this is true, people also shouldn't get the equally faulty assumption that ECs, LORs, etc. will save a below-median application. They also shouldn't feel like weak ECs, LORs, etc. will drag down an LSAT/GPA that is well above the median because it generally will not.

You were very close to the median. Any school that I've ever worked at looks closer at the supplementary materials for those borderline candidates. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ProfReader said:

While this is true, people also shouldn't get the equally faulty assumption that ECs, LORs, etc. will save a below-median application. They also shouldn't feel like weak ECs, LORs, etc. will drag down an LSAT/GPA that is well above the median because it generally will not.

You were very close to the median. Any school that I've ever worked at looks closer at the supplementary materials for those borderline candidates. 

I agree completely

2 hours ago, ProfReader said:

I think that you are right and I guess it all depends on a person to person basis or case by case analysis. As each story and individual is different it can be hard to see if they have a chance. Id like to stop the conversation here and redraw everyones attention back to my INITAL POST and QUESTION pls - as to whether or not I have a chance considering my stats provided above. Thank you. 

1 hour ago, rilelaw said:

I think that you are right and I guess it all depends on a person to person basis or case by case analysis. As each story and individual is different it can be hard to see if they have a chance. Id like to stop the conversation here and redraw everyones attention back to my INITAL POST and QUESTION pls - as to whether or not I have a chance considering my stats provided above. Thank you. 

That's sort of the point. It isn't really a person to person basis until we get to the margins. A lot of schools let in a lot of people based basically on stats alone before delving into the unique aspects of particular applicants.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ProfReader said:

That's sort of the point. It isn't really a person to person basis until we get to the margins. A lot of schools let in a lot of people based basically on stats alone before delving into the unique aspects of particular applicants.

Fair - and based off my stats what would you say ?