PrestigeWorldwide

Under Evaluation Update

It’s been somewhat quiet in the Accepted/Rejected threads lately. Are there still a sizeable number of people waiting to hear back/still under evaluation?

As a Mature applicant it’s becoming difficult not to worry about acceptance for Fall 2020 and begin looking at other options.

At this point I have no idea what my chances are for acceptance:

3.73 CGPA/157 LSAT

Veteran/Volunteering/PS tailored to Ottawa.

Any feedback would be welcome.

Posted (edited)

It seems via other threads that Ottawa often responds back to many applicants on the later side of the spectrum. I’m nervous as well. I hope they respond to me before June 1st, otherwise my provisional acceptance will lock in. However, I am almost positive that Ottawa is not done accepting individuals. Your stats are likely competitive, so I wouldn’t be surprised if you hear back this month. We just have to stay patient and hopeful.

Edited by DukeOfJoe

I applied to PDC and am still waiting to hear back. 
Olsas GPA: 3.68
GPA: 3.85 from my undergrad

I also have an MSc and have worked in related fields. 

PS was very much geared to Ottawa and PDC.

Getting more and more stressed waiting ! You’re not alone !

On 5/12/2020 at 7:06 AM, PrestigeWorldwide said:

It’s been somewhat quiet in the Accepted/Rejected threads lately. Are there still a sizeable number of people waiting to hear back/still under evaluation?

As a Mature applicant it’s becoming difficult not to worry about acceptance for Fall 2020 and begin looking at other options.

3.73 CGPA/157 LSAT

I'm still waiting too! 3.74 but 152 LSAT. As a fellow CAF member, thank you for your service!

• Thanks 1

On 5/12/2020 at 10:27 AM, DukeOfJoe said:

I hope they respond to me before June 1st, otherwise my provisional acceptance will lock in.

Don't all provisional acceptances for Ontario schools become firm on July 3, 2020?

On 5/12/2020 at 10:06 AM, PrestigeWorldwide said:

3.73 CGPA/157 LSAT

If your 3.73 cGPA is per OLSAS, then I don't see why you have not get an offer yet.. 

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Gemini94 said:

Don't all provisional acceptances for Ontario schools become firm on July 3, 2020?

Yeah it seems I was wrong! Honestly, I am happy about this news. Does this mean that if I pay the $500 for the school I am provisionally accepted at, it actually does not lock me in? I am assuming that if it does not lock me I still will lose the $500 deposit. This is based on the notion that I plan to go to a different school than the one im pro accepted to. Please let me know. Thanks. 

Edited by DukeOfJoe

7 hours ago, DukeOfJoe said:

Yeah it seems I was wrong! Honestly, I am happy about this news. Does this mean that if I pay the $500 for the school I am provisionally accepted at, it actually does not lock me in? I am assuming that if it does not lock me I still will lose the $500 deposit. This is based on the notion that I plan to go to a different school than the one im pro accepted to. Please let me know. Thanks. 

You’re not locked in until July 2. You will lose your deposit though. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DukeOfJoe said:

"This coming September I will be attending Law School as a first year. I have been accepted by TRU and Lakehead but I have not recieved anyword from the other schools yet. Lakehead accepted me as an indigenous applicant. I did not apply as an indigenous applicant anywhere else. Although Lakehead is lower on my list of ideal choices, I have heard rumors that graduating as an Indigienous Applicant and therefore becoming a Lawyer of Indigenous descent, can be very very very beneficial in relation to job oppertunities. Please help me understand if what I heard is fact or fiction. Thank you. 

Edited April 22 by DukeOfJoe"

" I did not apply as an indigenous applicant anywhere else"

Why didn't you apply to Ottawa as an indigenous applicant?

https://commonlaw.uottawa.ca/en/students/admissions/admissions-criteria/first-year-applicants/indigenous-applicants

I suggest you contact Ottawa right away and ask them if you can change it to indigenous applicant.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Luckycharm said:

"This coming September I will be attending Law School as a first year. I have been accepted by TRU and Lakehead but I have not recieved anyword from the other schools yet. Lakehead accepted me as an indigenous applicant. I did not apply as an indigenous applicant anywhere else. Although Lakehead is lower on my list of ideal choices, I have heard rumors that graduating as an Indigienous Applicant and therefore becoming a Lawyer of Indigenous descent, can be very very very beneficial in relation to job oppertunities. Please help me understand if what I heard is fact or fiction. Thank you. 

Edited April 22 by DukeOfJoe"

" I did not apply as an indigenous applicant anywhere else"

Why didn't you apply to Ottawa as an indigenous applicant?

https://commonlaw.uottawa.ca/en/students/admissions/admissions-criteria/first-year-applicants/indigenous-applicants

I suggest you contact Ottawa right away and ask them if you can change it to indigenous applicant.

It’s a long story! I am not government certified so I figured that would exclude me from applying as such. 

13 hours ago, DukeOfJoe said:

Yup, once the deposit is paid for a provisional acceptance, I believe you've saved a seat but you're not "locked in" so to speak. July 3rd is when your provisional acceptance becomes firm. This would mean Ottawa has more time to respond to you.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, DukeOfJoe said:

It’s a long story! I am not government certified so I figured that would exclude me from applying as such. 

but Lakehead accepted you based on that. right?

Edited by Luckycharm

3 hours ago, Gemini94 said:

Yup, once the deposit is paid for a provisional acceptance, I believe you've saved a seat but you're not "locked in" so to speak. July 3rd is when your provisional acceptance becomes firm. This would mean Ottawa has more time to respond to you.

hope you can say goodbye to your deposit

1 minute ago, Luckycharm said:

but Lakehead accepted you based on that. 

3 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

but Lakehead accepted you based on that. 

I applied as a general app for all schools. Lakehead requires that you address their 3 mandates of aboriginal law, environmental law and small town law in your personal statement. In my personal statement I mentioned that I was of indigenous descent. Then they contacted me asking me why I did not apply as an indigenous applicant. Lakehead then established to me the critieria they were looking for in order to be an indigenous applicant. I was able to meet that critiera, so yeah, that is why I am applied as an indigenous applicant there. 

On 5/12/2020 at 10:27 AM, DukeOfJoe said:

It seems via other threads that Ottawa often responds back to many applicants on the later side of the spectrum. I’m nervous as well. I hope they respond to me before June 1st, otherwise my provisional acceptance will lock in. However, I am almost positive that Ottawa is not done accepting individuals. Your stats are likely competitive, so I wouldn’t be surprised if you hear back this month. We just have to stay patient and hopeful.

Thanks for the encouragement. Based on typical standards I was fairly confident heading into this process, not sure why it's taking so long though.

On 5/12/2020 at 10:31 AM, Curious1 said:

I applied to PDC and am still waiting to hear back. 
Olsas GPA: 3.68
GPA: 3.85 from my undergrad

I also have an MSc and have worked in related fields. 

PS was very much geared to Ottawa and PDC.

Getting more and more stressed waiting ! You’re not alone !

Best of luck to you!

20 hours ago, Paristheprince said:

I'm still waiting too! 3.74 but 152 LSAT. As a fellow CAF member, thank you for your service!

That's great, which unit?

19 hours ago, Luckycharm said:

If your 3.73 cGPA is per OLSAS, then I don't see why you have not get an offer yet.. 

Yeah, the 3.73 cGPA is based on the OLSAS calculation. This is my first time going through this process so I'm not sure of the expected timelines. I've been under the impression that the mature category is seen at a later date though.

I emailed admissions a little over a week ago asking about the status of my application and got this response:

At the moment, your file is 'Ready to Evaluate'. however we are doing our utmost to maintain normal operations in the face of COVID-19. Due to the rolling nature of the admission process, it is possible to hear back at any point during the spring. All applicants can expect to hear a decision on their file by June, but those who are placed on the waitlist may be admitted from it during the summer, depending on space in the class.

I know this is a pretty generic response but given what admissions said, everyone should hear back by June, and I assumed they meant June 1st. But perhaps that's a wishful interpretation on my part. I take it that a wave of acceptances, rejections and waitlist offers should be coming out next week (latest the week after). Good luck to everyone else still waiting!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 5/16/2020 at 5:12 PM, Needmoreluck said:

Ottawa class is full?

I don’t believe so. If there are students who have not heard back yet and are still under evaluation I believe they are still reviewing applications. They are much slower this time around due to remote admissions committees. 

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Lawguy1 said:

I don’t believe so. If there are students who have not heard back yet and are still under evaluation I believe they are still reviewing applications. They are much slower this time around due to remote admissions committees. 

The law school's incoming class certainly does not seem to be full. Just let you know that uOttawa law's class of 2023 Facebook group only contains 209 people currently; this number includes some of upper year students and incoming 1Ls in the French common law program. 

Best of luck!

Edited by ArchivesandMuseums
editing
  • Like 3