capitalttruth

Small Groups selection

20 hours ago, TheLegendof said:

Just want to say that I don't agree with Prof. Mallet being a difficult marker. The curve for Legal Foundations is generous and you will do well if you can closely follow very clear instructions. 

On the other hand, three years ago the Legal Foundations curve was a C+.

13 hours ago, capitalttruth said:

Believe it or not, your reasoning actually leads me to select the small group based on timeslot lol. I was going to take a Con Law small group but if I can't get any more in-depth instruction than a large group class, there doesn't seem like a point. I'd rather choose courses based on a schedule that works best with my study habits.

Are there any advantages at all in taking a small group course that aligns with your interests? 

I chose my small group solely based on schedule and professor mix. 

In the right setting, I can imagine a small group being better for learning. However, I don't think I learned/appreciated tort law more because I had a torts small group. 

Ottawa makes you take public law twice, and there are a ton of nichier classes, opportunities for directed research as well. You will get your fill of public law at Ottawa if you want it or not, so if another small group schedule works better for you, don't feel bad for wanting to choose that group.

• Thanks 1

I personally really enjoyed Pub/Con Law and Legal Research with Professor Mallet. She's a good teacher which is my main criteria

Edited by Trew
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Trew said:

I personally really enjoyed Pub/Con Law and Legal Research with Professor Mallet. She's a good teacher which is my main criteria

I'm weary of popular opinion about profs in general. Some of the most maligned profs have been my favourites and were those I developed good relationships with. I have to see for myself, on my own terms, whether the maligning of the prof is justified or not.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, capitalttruth said:

I'm weary of popular opinion about profs in general. Some of the most maligned profs have been my favourites and were those I developed good relationships with. I have to see for myself, on my own terms, whether the maligning of the prof is justified or not.

I can understand where the dislike comes from. For example, she kicked out one student for coming to a review session unprepared which was probably unnecessary. Nonetheless, I think she's a good prof

On 5/14/2020 at 9:27 AM, easttowest said:

On the other hand, three years ago the Legal Foundations curve was a C+.

For the whole first year group? 

I thought Legal Research wasn't curved (just based on memory). And anything on your transcripts would, I suspect, just be your group - not the whole cohort. 

25 minutes ago, FunnyLawName said:

For the whole first year group? 

I thought Legal Research wasn't curved (just based on memory). And anything on your transcripts would, I suspect, just be your group - not the whole cohort. 

I'm not sure how they average the 1L class. In any event, the average for my class was 5.94, meaning she either went out of the way to average below the applicable guideline (6.0), or decided to leave the class below the guideline for whatever reason. Therefore, while the other poster may have had a "generous" curve, it is not always so.

The average for that class was the lowest of any class I took in law school, and I only had one other prof who used an average below the guideline.

45 minutes ago, easttowest said:

I'm not sure how they average the 1L class. In any event, the average for my class was 5.94, meaning she either went out of the way to average below the applicable guideline (6.0), or decided to leave the class below the guideline for whatever reason. Therefore, while the other poster may have had a "generous" curve, it is not always so.

The average for that class was the lowest of any class I took in law school, and I only had one other prof who used an average below the guideline.

You're right, I can only speak for my experience this year. I didn't even know it was possible to have a class average below 6.0.

10 minutes ago, TheLegendof said:

You're right, I can only speak for my experience this year. I didn't even know it was possible to have a class average below 6.0.

They can go .4 in any direction if it's a class with sections, or .8 between sections even if that means one or more sections is more than .4 away from the guideline. They can go .8 in any direction if it's a class without sections.

A course with a 6.0 guideline could be averaged anywhere from 5.2 to 6.8, though it's very, very rare to see profs go below.

Edited by easttowest
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, easttowest said:

As you noted, there is permissible variance in the Ottawa guideline and this is not the maximum variance. For example, in a class of 18 students with exactly 6.0, this would mean changing a single B into C+. I will agree with Melanie being intimidating to students, but it seems unfair to characterize this as going out of her way to do anything.

Edited by ProfReader

1 hour ago, ProfReader said:

As you noted, there is permissible variance in the Ottawa guideline and this is not the maximum variance. For example, in a class of 18 students with exactly 6.0, this would mean changing a single B into C+. I will agree with Melanie being intimidating to students, but it seems unfair to characterize this as going out of her way to do anything.

You’re right.

Just now, easttowest said:

You’re right.

A D is probably worth something like a 2, so that's would be enough to pull an average that's actually above 6 to a 5.94. But anyway, your broader point about Melanie expecting a lot from students and not letting a lot slide is not an unfair one. She's not everyone's cup of tea. The converse is that some people say they learn a lot because she holds them to a high standard.

On 5/12/2020 at 11:18 PM, ArchivesandMuseums said:

The fall/winter 2020-2021 class schedule of the Common Law Section shows the names of some professors who will teach the small group classes of Constitutional and Public Law, such as Professor Kyle Kirkup, Y Y Chen, Keyes, or St. Lewis. For me, I will choose my small group after looking into their specializations.  

where did you find the class schedule for 2020-2021?

On 5/16/2020 at 6:49 PM, ArchivesandMuseums said:

May I ask why you say so?

She spends most of lecture regaling the class with her experiences as a bencher, instead of teaching substantive law. She frequently cancels class. One year she cancelled (and later rescheduled) a midterm year 10 minutes before it was due to start. Her midterm was written by another prof known for writing LSAT type exams, and most of the class bombed the exam. A lot of the material on the exam had not been covered in class. The same year she didn't complete the course and another prof ended up marking the final papers.

• Thanks 1