Bubbless

uOttawa Law - Online Fall 2020

uOttawa Common Law programs have sent an email making it official that the fall 2020 semester will be done completely online.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Bubbless said:

uOttawa Common Law programs have sent an email making it official that the fall 2020 semester will be done completely online.

That's not actually what the email said. The fall semester will be available online - I believe this means that the regardless of whether or not the lockdown is over, you will have the ability to do the fall semester online (helpful for those coming from other cities who can use the distance learning to help them find residence, move, etc). BUT that does not mean that if the lockdown is over that in-person classes cannot also become available. IE. the classes may happen on campus with the prof recording/using zoom at the same time. 

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, bn2384 said:

That's not actually what the email said. The fall semester will be available online - I believe this means that the regardless of whether or not the lockdown is over, you will have the ability to do the fall semester online (helpful for those coming from other cities who can use the distance learning to help them find residence, move, etc). BUT that does not mean that if the lockdown is over that in-person classes cannot also become available. IE. the classes may happen on campus with the prof recording/using zoom at the same time. 

Got to it before me :)

To further clarify, students will be able to choose to take their classes online in the event that the government approves some or all courses to return to the classroom setting. Otherwise, all classes will be online.

I'm still hoping that some classes will be on campus - at least the small group classes. I really enjoy (and gain more) from in-person interactions. *fingers crossed*

• Like 4

Classes will be defacto online and only if the situations gets better well they let people come back. You should expect a full semester online and be pleasantly surprised with the option of coming in for a few classes. Also, they likely wont adjust tuition since they will already be hurting with the lack of internationals - instead they will drop UPass and gym access like they are doing for summer students. There is still ample time between the announcement and the start of the fall semester, this is just the prudent measure - it only gets better from here.

Edited by throwaway1001
  • Like 3

I am very saddened by this decision, although it it understandable. I was looking into buying a condo with my boyfriend since I am from Montreal. At this point I am very torn between saving money and moving in December, or moving in the summer either way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bn2384 said:

Oh my bad! My friend is a 2L at uOttawa in the Common Law English Section and she had passed that news on to me. Thank you for the clarification :) 

I just saw the email now and ofc the first thing I do is come onto the forum to see what everyone else’s thoughts are since I’m extremely upset. I honestly didn’t see this coming this early on. I was holding out hope. I’m also extremely upset about orientation being online. I’ve declined all my other offers from schools outside of Ontario since Ottawa was always my first choice but I also just received an email that I was just accepted off of the Manitoba waitlist and I can’t help but think Manitoba will likely have in-person classes and orientation... 😔

• Like 1

I don't think everyone should be upset... yet. This decision is just a precaution to help ease those who will have to move their entire lives so that it doesn't have to be at the last minute. It does not mean that classes won't also be in person if the province allows it.

• Like 1

For those that are going to uOttawa, what are your plans in terms of housing/living? I'm debating if I should move there for the fall or just move for the winter semester. The email stated they will let us know about Winter 2021 by September so in the rare case that is also online...I'm stuck on if I should even spend money on rent. 

12 minutes ago, legallyillegal said:

For those that are going to uOttawa, what are your plans in terms of housing/living? I'm debating if I should move there for the fall or just move for the winter semester. The email stated they will let us know about Winter 2021 by September so in the rare case that is also online...I'm stuck on if I should even spend money on rent. 

I’m stuck on this same issue. My partner and I were planning on moving to Ottawa together in September but now I don’t know what to do and if we can even find a place/ go to showings. I know I’d save a lot of money staying at home with rent and living costs but I think it would also be too stressful for me to handle but at the same time I can also tell that I’ll probably have a meltdown having to take the entire semester’s course online in a new city where I have no friends and no sense of community since extra curriculars will likely be cancelled too. I’m also worried that if I wait until the winter semester to make the move, that there will be less places available. I remember in undergrad, students trying to find places in the winter semester always had very limited options and they were often sublets rather than full on lease agreements. I’ve just been too upset to sleep and I already know I’m going to have a miserable day at work tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Personally I hope to still move to Ottawa in hope classes partly are in person and some activities can resume. 

Our decision could be easier if things slow down by June in Ontario as they have been! Some other countries have opened universities to very small classes in Europe too.

Edited by EnviroLawyers
  • Like 1

Side note what do they mean by “via distance OR online teaching”? Is it not the same thing? It’s not social distancing because they said no in-person classes for the time being. 

18 minutes ago, penguinh said:

I’m stuck on this same issue. My partner and I were planning on moving to Ottawa together in September but now I don’t know what to do and if we can even find a place/ go to showings. I know I’d save a lot of money staying at home with rent and living costs but I think it would also be too stressful for me to handle but at the same time I can also tell that I’ll probably have a meltdown having to take the entire semester’s course online in a new city where I have no friends and no sense of community since extra curriculars will likely be cancelled too. I’m also worried that if I wait until the winter semester to make the move, that there will be less places available. I remember in undergrad, students trying to find places in the winter semester always had very limited options and they were often sublets rather than full on lease agreements. I’ve just been too upset to sleep and I already know I’m going to have a miserable day at work tomorrow. 

Certain property management companies in Ottawa (Sleepwell, CLV Group) are offering virtual tours and virtual lease signings - you could look into that. Also, just because classes may be online for the Fall, doesn't mean that you can't meet with your colleagues outside of class. Conditions in the Fall may be such that, while gatherings of 50-80 people would still be prohibited, gatherings of 5-15 may be okay.

Edited by capitalttruth
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, capitalttruth said:

Certain property management companies in Ottawa (Sleepwell, CLV Group) are offering virtual tours and virtual lease signings - you could look into that. Also, just because classes may be online for the Fall, doesn't mean that you can't meet with your colleagues outside of class. Conditions in the Fall may be such that, while gatherings of 50-80 people would still be prohibited, gatherings of 5-15 may be okay.

That is very helpful. Thank you. I’ll be looking into that. 

I’m just worried about the ability to even establish a bond with classmates given that lectures will be online, there will be no opportunities to socialize. I’m guessing most of the lectures will just be uploaded online. Even if not, my friend who is currently in law school and has Zoom lectures says that everyone’s cameras and mics are turned off unless they are cold called. I read in the FAQ that clubs will also be moving to an online format but I don’t see how that’s going to work out well. 

7 hours ago, legallyillegal said:

The rent in Ottawa is way more than it is here, and I'll definitely miss my family and friends since they may or may not be able to come visit (depends on where we are with COVID). However, I'm still going to make the move for August/September, barring any disaster. There's a couple reasons for this: first, I do not want to move in the winter. I've done it in the past and it is awful, a truly harrowing experience lol. Second, and more importantly, I am holding out hope that there will be some form of activities on campus. I am not looking to get into huge groups and celebrate our entrance to law school or anything. I am a compromised individual - if I get the 'rona, I can get very very sick - so big groups would not be good for me. Rather, I hope that we might get small group type activities that can connect us but still respect social distancing measures. Also, I learn better when I can discuss ideas with a classmate and get differing perspectives, so at the very least I'd like to meet up with a couple people (according to whatever social distancing rules we are following in the fall) to do this type of learning.

Ultimately the choice is up to the individual, and we have to do what is financially feasible/makes sense for ourselves. But I do remain hopeful that we will get some form of in-person activities/classes for those of us that make the move.

• Like 1

I understand how this is so disappointing for all of you. I would, however, recommend that if you can afford to, and you clearly would have done this had Covid-19 not arrived, you move this summer to Ottawa as planned. I'd recommend this for any city, actually. Finding a place will be far easier this summer than it will be in December and do you really want to be studying for/writing exams in December and also travelling to Ottawa in winter weather in the hopes that you'll find a place you like/can afford? When would the actual move take place? Over the Christmas holidays when you would ideally want to be with your family? Getting a new place set up, and getting ready to start in-person classes, if that happens, in a short timeline at that time of year? Think long and hard about doing that.

Moving in the summer as planned with give you a chance to do it without weather considerations. Being in the city once classes begin, even if online, will give you the opportunity to get to know classmates who are also in the city and to meet up with them, even if physical distancing is still an issue. There will be students who are in the city from August on, so if you wait to arrive until January, it may be more difficult to establish those bonds that you are all hoping to form with classmates.  It will give you the opportunity to get to know the city, to explore all it has to offer, to find a favorite grocery store, coffee shop, bookstore, pharmacy, doctor, dentist, gym, place to walk your dog, and all the other aspects of a new city that will help you settle and be comfortable for the next three years.

And moving in the middle of winter? You will regret that, trust me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Good post from Erin above, you also set-up yourself up attend classes if they would resume instead of loosing on that opportunity if you are away. Moving would be the safe bet. 

3 hours ago, erinl2 said:

I understand how this is so disappointing for all of you. I would, however, recommend that if you can afford to, and you clearly would have done this had Covid-19 not arrived, you move this summer to Ottawa as planned. I'd recommend this for any city, actually. Finding a place will be far easier this summer than it will be in December and do you really want to be studying for/writing exams in December and also travelling to Ottawa in winter weather in the hopes that you'll find a place you like/can afford? When would the actual move take place? Over the Christmas holidays when you would ideally want to be with your family? Getting a new place set up, and getting ready to start in-person classes, if that happens, in a short timeline at that time of year? Think long and hard about doing that.

Moving in the summer as planned with give you a chance to do it without weather considerations. Being in the city once classes begin, even if online, will give you the opportunity to get to know classmates who are also in the city and to meet up with them, even if physical distancing is still an issue. There will be students who are in the city from August on, so if you wait to arrive until January, it may be more difficult to establish those bonds that you are all hoping to form with classmates.  It will give you the opportunity to get to know the city, to explore all it has to offer, to find a favorite grocery store, coffee shop, bookstore, pharmacy, doctor, dentist, gym, place to walk your dog, and all the other aspects of a new city that will help you settle and be comfortable for the next three years.

And moving in the middle of winter? You will regret that, trust me.

I like the idea of that and honestly made me feel better but my concern is that if COVID-19 does not slow down, going to things like the coffee shop and grocery store in the fall will have a lot of social distancing measures in place which will make it really hard to do all that. From the way things are looking and according to some insider info (my friend's mom is part of WHO), it's not looking to good anytime soon. My biggest concern is to be stuck 5 hours away in a city where I can't do anything nor meet anyone and I'm taking online classes :( 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, legallyillegal said:

I like the idea of that and honestly made me feel better but my concern is that if COVID-19 does not slow down, going to things like the coffee shop and grocery store in the fall will have a lot of social distancing measures in place which will make it really hard to do all that. From the way things are looking and according to some insider info (my friend's mom is part of WHO), it's not looking to good anytime soon. My biggest concern is to be stuck 5 hours away in a city where I can't do anything nor meet anyone and I'm taking online classes :( 

There are already social/physical distancing guidelines in place and people are already doing all those things I mentioned, according to the guidelines. Things are beginning to loosen now and likely, unless there is a huge resurgence, will continue to loosen. Curbside pick-up for small businesses has already begun. Grocery stores and pharmacies, and any other shop that sells food has been open all along, with protocols in place. Walking your dog has always been allowed. :)

No one knows what it will be like by September. It may be better, it may be worse, but likely it will be somewhere in between what it is like now and what we'd hope it to be. I get that the decision is a difficult one and everyone has specific issues related to how they make it. Good luck to all of you in deciding what to do but my advice still stands. 

• Like 4