dak

Fall 2020 "predominantly online"

Posted (edited)

I just saw this on the UVic website: https://www.uvic.ca/covid-19/home/updates/fall-announcement-may2020.php

I guess we won't know more until later this month, but this may influence people's decisions. This might be the norm for many schools, as well as UBC, but it would be nice to know what "predominantly" means. I imagine there'll be folks who don't want to move across the country just to have (X?)% of course material online... 

What are your guys' thoughts? 

Edited by dak

I feel the same, i'd rather not have to move to Victoria if I only have one or two classes. Maybe the law school will email soon an provide insight into how this will impact 1L courses

Ditto on not wanting to move just for a handful courses, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of in-person classes given that their class sizes seem small(ish) and the first year cohort is a little over 100 students. 

With regards to 1L, their FAQs mention that the first two weeks entail a full-time Legal Process course in groups of <= 25 students. Remaining first year classes are 25 - 60 students. (https://www.uvic.ca/law/admissions/jdadmissionfaqs/index.php)

They sent out an email today saying that the law dept is still in the process of working out a plan and looking at some sort of "hybrid" programming. I'm curious as to what this might look like.

• Like 1

I'll definitely be moving regardless of what happens. I'm excited to get out to the island, especially with the parks reopening in the next few weeks! :D  

12 minutes ago, iamcold said:

They sent out an email today saying that the law dept is still in the process of working out a plan and looking at some sort of "hybrid" programming. I'm curious as to what this might look like.

I'm very curious about this as well. Apparently the full fall schedule will be released later this month so I guess we'll see then.

On 5/11/2020 at 4:10 PM, lawfacade123 said:

I'll definitely be moving regardless of what happens. I'm excited to get out to the island, especially with the parks reopening in the next few weeks! :D  

I'm very curious about this as well. Apparently the full fall schedule will be released later this month so I guess we'll see then.

was the full fall schedule released? how much is in class?

Fall courses will be entirely online.

I would like to move to Victoria if there is a good chance that many of my fellow classmates will be there and willing to socialize in person. Also, it would be nice if there were some sort of interaction in person with faculty.

How many of you will be moving to Victoria or already live there?

5 hours ago, lawskoolhopeful said:

was the full fall schedule released? how much is in class?

They sent an email earlier in the month confirming that all classes and classwork will be online. My guess is that either the 'hybrid' is off the table or the in-person components will be optional/minor/extracurricular. The fall class information is now on the UVic website (Class Schedule Listing) although it's not yet in a nice timetable format like those on the law faculty pages from last year/summer.

No plans released for term 2 yet.

5 hours ago, lawstudent1100 said:

Fall courses will be entirely online.

I would like to move to Victoria if there is a good chance that many of my fellow classmates will be there and willing to socialize in person. Also, it would be nice if there were some sort of interaction in person with faculty.

How many of you will be moving to Victoria or already live there?

It seems quite a few folks are moving or already live there. It seems like a good amount of the people who are moving 'for sure' are out-of-province. If you're on Facebook, I definitely recommend joining the 2023/2024 class group as people have been discussing move/stay decisions there.

• Like 1