Sign in to follow this  
GreysAnatomy

Clerking in Ontario - when is this done? 

I am currently articling and a lot of my friends are clerking next year, or from my understanding, the year after. I thought that you can only clerk the year you are technically supposed to be doing your articles. Is this the case or can you clerk anytime?

Thanks!

For ONSC, you can only clerk during your articling term.

For ONCA and FCA, you can definitely clerk the year after completing your articles (not sure if you can the following year?). Many, if not most, students for ONCA and FCA are hired during 3L and clerk after completing their articles at a firm (or clerking at ONSC).

For SCC, you can clerk as articles, the year after articles or even the year after that. I'm not sure if you can push it further than that.

You can technically clerk at the SCC at any point after receiving your JD. For obvious reasons, it’s more common to clerk there in lieu of articles or the following year. The same is true for the FCA.

ONCA only accepts applicants who are in their final two years of law school, meaning the latest you could clerk there is the year after you article.

Windsor is correct that the ONSC only allows you to clerk in lieu of articles. 

• Like 1