samIams

Law Schools going ONLINE 2020/2021

Rumour is UVic emailed their law students notifying them that courses are going online next year. Can any current UVic students confirm this? 

Have any other law schools communicated this?

8 minutes ago, samIams said:

Rumour is UVic emailed their law students notifying them that courses are going online next year. Can any current UVic students confirm this? 

Was the rumour for the fall semester alone or the whole academic year?

Uvic student here. Haven't received any such email. 

I am currently taking summer courses which are fully online. Haven't heard anything for the fall though. Maybe other students can chime in? 

• Like 1

There's another thread on this already. I've been updating it when I've heard news from different schools (which tends to be before students catch wind of it). Any specific UVic rumours that I heard pre-dated BCs discussions around reopening so may not be current.

3 hours ago, magicmtn said:

Uvic student here. Haven't received any such email. 

I am currently taking summer courses which are fully online. Haven't heard anything for the fall though. Maybe other students can chime in? 

Current UVic student here. Haven't received any email / info from school about going online in the Fall either.

• Like 1

I've heard (second hand) that TRU will be online in the fall and that they don't recommend renting housing for the fall.

On Western's website they advise that the incoming students not sign leases until the school announces a firm decision about online/in-person.

I can't see any higher education returning to in-person instruction until they can reopen residences. I know that residences don't really apply to law schools, but I don't think that the universities will open only for specific faculties.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think until there's an official announcement from each school it's really all just speculation... I'm a UVic incoming student and they actually sent us advice on how to get housing a few days ago. I'm sure though that that's par for the course and I'm not reading too much into it. 

Edited by lawfacade123

McGill Central (Confirmed by the Law school), has announced that everything will be remote, barring small in-person sessions where possible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/9/2020 at 1:15 PM, samIams said:

Looks like just a rumour. Emailed them end of April to ask if they had a rough time frame from when we could expect an online/in-person classes update and got this response:

We don’t know exactly what the fall term will look like but we are working on it and keep you informed as decisions are finalized. Regardless of the delivery model, the term will begin on Tuesday, September 8 as stated in the University calendar.

@iamcold

see the link here: https://www.uvic.ca/covid-19/home/updates/fall-announcement-may2020.php

UVic is going to be primarily online for the fall... no clue what that means, or how much will be online. This seems to be school-wide, but there will be more information at the end of the month.

UBC seems to be the same being "primarily" online for the fall: https://broadcastemail.ubc.ca/2020/05/11/covid-19-ubcs-approach-for-the-fall-term/

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, LetMeIn2020 said:

source?

https://www.uottawa.ca/coronavirus/en

Therefore, all our courses, with some exceptions,* will include a distance-learning option in the fall. Whether you are an international student or a Canadian who cannot come to Ottawa, you will be able to learn from home without having to be physically present on campus.

Highlights: 

We realize that the situation is fluid and rapidly evolving. As such, we would like to share some key principles:

• The courses you need for your program will be offered via distance learning with the same high academic standards so that you can achieve your learning goals.
  • Many of your courses could be offered in person if public health directives allow us to do so. In this situation, students who prefer to learn in person will be able to do so, provided that the Faculty considers this a possibility.
  • If you sign up for an online course and this course ends up being offered in person, you will not be required to show up in person if physical distancing guidelines are lifted. Once you enrol in an online course, you have the option to complete it via distance learning, if that is your preference.
  • *The schedule includes some courses that do require your physical presence even though it remains uncertain whether this will be possible this fall. Please be reassured that we are working on innovative solutions to accommodate you and will provide an update in the weeks to come. We encourage you to enrol for these courses if they match your ambitions.
  • Our course schedule is accurate at the time of publication but is likely to experience more changes than usual. Please check it often to follow any changes.

Seems like they are trying to give an update but also maintain choice for students and flexibility i.e. if you rather not attend in person but in-person is happening you can choose. 
Edited by 0LHopeful
Addition
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

This is my nightmare. I hate online classes and super hate paying 20k to sit at home on Zoom 😭

Edit: Thelegends post was a bit misleading. I actually like UO's approach! 

Edited by WindsorHopeful

This trend is interesting. At this point, I think it's all but certain that all the other schools will follow suit. People here seem to be taking this news remarkably, almost unusually, well. Kudos.

Letter from the Dean at Schulich seems to echo Ottawa's announcement, though I'm not aware of any public update on Dal's website.

Basically, whatever can reasonably and safely be done in person, will be done. But that your physical presence in Halifax won't be required in the fall.

24 minutes ago, Astro said:

This trend is interesting. At this point, I think it's all but certain that all the other schools will follow suit. People here seem to be taking this news remarkably, almost unusually, well. Kudos.

Canada's at 5000+ deaths and many parts of the country have been "locked down" (to varying degrees) for two months now. We've all seen this coming, whether we wished to admit it or not.

We've gone through denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and now it's time for acceptance. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Osgoode has hinted in recent correspondence that it will depend on what the city (in this case Toronto) and province communicate to them over the coming weeks. Generally, the impression I received from the emails from their tone and content is they have considered at the very least mixed online/offline instruction in the fall and that there is no definitive plan of action at this point. 

Edited by LabouriousCorvid
  • Like 1