lwyrup2021

L2 GPA Calculation and P/F Courses

Hello law fam,  

I have a quick couple questions regarding L2 GPA for the 2021 application cycle. My cgpa is around 2.5 and my L2 gpa will be around 3.6-3.7 at the end of this summer. My issue is with my current school going into optional pass/fail I have the option to make one of my courses this semester which is a 73 into a Pass and this will bump my average up to get in the Dean's List, should I take this option or keep the 73%? all my other courses for this semester are 3.7+.  I am also primarily looking to apply to L2 and B2 schools such as Calgary, Alberta, Dalhousie, TRU, RyeU and Western to name a few.

Second, with admissions committees still trying to figure out what to do with P/F courses, will this affect my L20 calculation even if I can provide them a official letter from my university of the original numeric grade so they can still use my only PASS as a grade rather than go dip back into my abysmal semesters of the past? Is this worth the extra step to get a Dean's List award and slight bump in gpa? 

Finally, at the end of the summer I will have 19/20 L2 courses complete and will have to take the remaining course come fall, while writing the LSAT at some point in the fall as well. So just wondering is there a chance some law schools will go to last 15 credits(L15) or best 20 courses or something to accommodate for the COVID-19 situation and P/F courses from these few semesters for the 2021 cycle? I really want to just focus on studying for my LSAT and doing great than have to focus on yet another course just to get the last 20th undergrad course done. Any tips/insights will be appreciated!

1 minute ago, lwyrup2021 said:

Hello law fam,  

I have a quick couple questions regarding L2 GPA for the 2021 application cycle. My cgpa is around 2.5 and my L2 gpa will be around 3.6-3.7 at the end of this summer. My issue is with my current school going into optional pass/fail I have the option to make one of my courses this semester which is a 73 into a Pass and this will bump my average up to get in the Dean's List, should I take this option or keep the 73%? all my other courses for this semester are 3.7+.  I am also primarily looking to apply to L2 and B2 schools such as Calgary, Alberta, Dalhousie, TRU, RyeU and Western to name a few.

I would be careful as reducing your course load may make the semester ineligible to be counted as L2 or B2. L2 is usually actually calculated as "last 60 credits", where they will dip into the entirety of a previous semester if you didn't take 60 credits in your last two years proper. Likewise, an ungraded course may make the course load too light to be used, leaving them to just use cGPA. But that's in normal times, we can't say with confidence how they will all adapt due to COVID-19. 

If I was you, I'd play it safe and not go pass/fail because if they rely on your cGPA, you probably won't get in, whereas the benefit to your L2/B2 is marginal. 

25 minutes ago, lwyrup2021 said:

Hello law fam,  

Second, with admissions committees still trying to figure out what to do with P/F courses, will this affect my L20 calculation even if I can provide them a official letter from my university of the original numeric grade so they can still use my only PASS as a grade rather than go dip back into my abysmal semesters of the past? Is this worth the extra step to get a Dean's List award and slight bump in gpa? 

Finally, at the end of the summer I will have 19/20 L2 courses complete and will have to take the remaining course come fall, while writing the LSAT at some point in the fall as well. So just wondering is there a chance some law schools will go to last 15 credits(L15) or best 20 courses or something to accommodate for the COVID-19 situation and P/F courses from these few semesters for the 2021 cycle? I really want to just focus on studying for my LSAT and doing great than have to focus on yet another course just to get the last 20th undergrad course done. Any tips/insights will be appreciated!

This will give you some idea how L2 is calculated:

https://law.ucalgary.ca/sites/default/files/teams/2/gpa-faq.pdf