I am going to Western this year and was wondering if transferring to UFT (maybe Osgoode) in 2L would be worth it. My goal is to work for on Bay Street like many members on this forum, but I am definitely open to everything as I did not even start law school yet. Western’s OCIs (30%) are pretty good, but not as good as UFT. From my understanding, to be competitive as a transfer student, an average of B+ or higher would be needed. However, a B+ average would also be good enough for OCIs at Western, so wouldn’t transferring be pointless at this point? I have always wanted to go to a prestigious school like UFT, but I do not see the point if Western (which I totally love) can help me with my goals. I also have read about users having a hard time making friends when they transfer, and I hope I can have a close friend group at Western by end of first year , which I definitely would not want to lose as well. 

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, jatthopefullawyer said:

I am going to Western this year and was wondering if transferring to UFT (maybe Osgoode) in 2L would be worth it. My goal is to work for on Bay Street like many members on this forum, but I am definitely open to everything as I did not even start law school yet. Western’s OCIs (30%) are pretty good, but not as good as UFT. From my understanding, to be competitive as a transfer student, an average of B+ or higher would be needed. However, a B+ average would also be good enough for OCIs at Western, so wouldn’t transferring be pointless at this point? I have always wanted to go to a prestigious school like UFT, but I do not see the point if Western (which I totally love) can help me with my goals. I also have read about users having a hard time making friends when they transfer, and I hope I can have a close friend group at Western by end of first year , which I definitely would not want to lose as well. 

You will be considered as a Western applicant for OCI... I transferred from Ottawa to OZ.

Edited by Luckycharm

22 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

You will be considered as a Western applicant for OCI... I transferred from Ottawa to OZ.

OP would be considered a Western applicant for OCI even if he transfers? 

13 minutes ago, Astro said:

Essentially, because all their grades will be from Western (unless that later recruit anticipated this year carries forward, which may or may not happen). 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Astro said:

The only grades he /she has will be from Western. All OCI applicants from U of T do not have A,B or C on there transcripts

They have HH, H, P, LP and F. OP's A.B.C etc. will really stand out..  

Edited by Luckycharm

5 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

The only grades he /she has will be from Western. All OCI applicants from U of T do not have A,B or C on there transcripts

They have HH, H, P, LP and F. OP's A.B.C etc. will really stand out..  

Not to mention the fact that their transcript would say Western on it... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Not to mention the fact that their transcript would say Western on it... 

If OCI is OP's main reason to transfer, then I think you should think twice.

Just now, Luckycharm said:

Totally agree. I went through this last year. You are compared to people from your 1L school in the sense that your grades have more meaning when compared to the rest of your 1L cohort. However, since you are at a new school (say Oz), the firm has to be willing to give you an OCI slot over an Oz student. I think that disadvantaged me slightly early in the process. I'm still very happy with how it all ended up, but my own anecdotal experience was that transferring resulted in fewer OCIs than I expected. Would I actually have gotten more had I not transferred? Who knows.

8 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

Thanks! Yeah OCIs were the main reason. However, what if OCIs don’t go well? Wouldn’t it still be beneficial to transfer to UFT for the articling recruit? I am just trying to look for any benefits transferring to UFT, however, based on what people are saying, I would be better off staying at Western (which is an awesome school for corporate law either way) Sorry if I am annoying, but I just want to clarify any misconceptions I might have 

No point in transferring - you will have Western 1L grades. 

4 minutes ago, jatthopefullawyer said:

Thanks! Yeah OCIs were the main reason. However, what if OCIs don’t go well? Wouldn’t it still be beneficial to transfer to UFT for the articling recruit? I am just trying to look for any benefits transferring to UFT, however, based on what people are saying, I would be better off staying at Western (which is an awesome school for corporate law either way) Sorry if I am annoying, but I just want to clarify any misconceptions I might have 

Western's articling rate is pretty good – around 98% when I was considering applying. 

On the other hand, staying at Western may very well be better than transferring to U of T for the articling recruit, because you'll save about $20,000 over the two years. That gives you a lot of flexibility in choosing where to article, and saves a lot of stress if you end up having to take a lower paying position. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

As someone who did transfer but for reasons other than articling/job prospects, I didn't regret transfering and had a lot of fun at UofT. But I did get the impression that some (most?) transferees who were motivated by articling prospects regretted having done so. Also, once you're out of lawschool no one cares where you went so might as well save the money. 

Edited by WinCity

Posted (edited)
On 5/7/2020 at 11:54 PM, law6543 said:

Totally agree. I went through this last year. You are compared to people from your 1L school in the sense that your grades have more meaning when compared to the rest of your 1L cohort. However, since you are at a new school (say Oz), the firm has to be willing to give you an OCI slot over an Oz student. I think that disadvantaged me slightly early in the process. I'm still very happy with how it all ended up, but my own anecdotal experience was that transferring resulted in fewer OCIs than I expected. Would I actually have gotten more had I not transferred? Who knows.

I had 22 OCI and 6 in house. (actually 8 but turned down 2)

Edited by Luckycharm