Sambo1261

Thread for changes to schools' GPA calculations.

Posted (edited)

I thought it might be a good idea to get a thread going which could address this. For example, my own circumstances are as follows for my L2 (I think?):

Fall 2018 15 credits / 5 classes (3.8)

Winter 2019: 15 credits / 5 classes (3.8)

Spring 2019 3 credits / 1 class (3.67)

Fall 2019 15 credits / 5 classes (3.73)

Winter 2020 9 credits / 3 classes (mandatory credit aka pass/fail grading [all passed])

I'm mostly looking at Dal / Queens / Western / Alberta... UBC would be great but seems like a long shot with the way my LSAT studying is going. Previously I had figured my GPA was going to be considered as around 3.75 for admissions purposes but now I may be fucked as my second year grades only netted me a 3.5 and idk how my fourth year grades will be calculated. That is, I don't want to have my second year grades included and didn't think they would before this covid fiasco!  

Any help / updates on the GPA calculation situation in light of credit/no credit (aka pass/fail) would be helpful! As I see it the best possible outcome if you're like me would be if schools take this past semester's credits but don't them for the purposes of GPA calculation (i.e. only using my Fall 2018, Winter 2019, and Fall 2020 grades but still counting the Winter 2020 credits) if that makes sense. All input appreciated. Cheers. 

Edited by Sambo1261

Have you checked out the cgpa calculator on lawapplicants.ca? It has a cgpa calculator for OLSAS...so it would be applicable to a few schools you listed. 

On 5/6/2020 at 7:35 AM, Toby1994 said:

Have you checked out the cgpa calculator on lawapplicants.ca? It has a cgpa calculator for OLSAS...so it would be applicable to a few schools you listed. 

Doesn’t have an option for pass/fail inputs.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recent Posts

• The other thing OP is going to have to consider is immigration issues. Big law firms will sponsor law students seeking to practice in the US, but even some of those firms don't want to deal with the hassle and screen out most Canadians for that reason.  If OP is looking to practice at a firm in North Dakota, the odds of them having experience sponsoring Canadians seeking to practice in the US are incredibly low. OP is going to want to take the lead on immigration issues so they can guide any prospective employers through the process.  If OP is looking to practice independently, they're going to have to look into whether or not that's even possible as a Canadian. 
    • Kamloops is pretty pet friendly. A lot of my classmates had dogs or cats. The most popular condo complex for law students (across the street from campus) allowed small pets.
    • Okay, now that I've writtern both exams, here are my thoughts. To recap, this is how I wrote each exam:  Barristers – read the materials, highlighted them, and used the DTOC during the exam. I ultimately finished quite early and didn't find it challenging at all.  Solicitors – did not read the materials (and thus didn't highlight them) and used the DTOC during the exam. The exam took close to the whole time for me (finished ~30 mins early), and was relatively challenging at points.  For context, I took courses in essentially everything examined on the barrister and only took a course on one portion of the solicitors.  If I were to do the exams again, I think I would choose one of the following two methods and stick with it: (i) what I did for the barristers – reading the materials and using the DTOC; or (ii) not reading the materials, but using an index instead of the DTOC. I think it was ultimately somewhat challenging to write the exam without an index and without having read the materials. The lack of familiarity with the materials makes it difficult to find things via the DTOC, whereas an index would allow you to quickly find answers. For future students, I would encourage you not to purchase practice exams, and, if you choose to use the DTOC method, don't purchase indices either. They're a racket. 
    • I'm honestly just amazed that you went from asking whether or not its even possible to become a summer associate in the US to arguing with me and having contacted well known NYC law firms about this issue earlier this year in like... 32 minutes. That's impressive.