27 minutes ago, leafyleak said:

Yes. 

Amazing. I don’t know what your preferences and financial circumstances are, but I’d take Fordham over any Canadian law school, except maybe U of T and McGill. For what it’s worth, QS ranks Osgoode and Fordham in the same bracket (100-150). Careers prospects are undoubtedly better out of Fordham compared Osgoode. NYC > North York. Just my two cents but I’d take Fordham and never look back. I wish I applied myself. 

8 minutes ago, HopefulLawyer97 said:

Careers prospects are undoubtedly better out of Fordham compared Osgoode.

I'm not sure how you figure that, given the infamously bleak US market where even T14s aren't exactly a guaranteed golden ticket. But admittedly this is really off-topic.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

I'm not sure how you figure that, given the infamously bleak US market where even T14s aren't exactly a guaranteed golden ticket. But admittedly this is really off-topic.

Are you actually trying to say that career prospects out of Osgoode are going to be better than a US school in NYC that ranks in the top #15 for average salary at $160,000USD with robust large firm hiring? Because if you are that’s asinine. 

“I'm not sure how you figure that, given the infamously bleak US market where even T14s aren't exactly a guaranteed golden ticket.“

Uh oh. I guess everyone should turn down their Georgetown+ offers because CleanHands astutely pointed out that the US legal market isn’t a golden ticket anymore, a fact that everyone’s known since at least 2009. 

Canadian market isn’t a golden ticket either. On a weighted average based on factors such as market mobility, yeah, I think I’d choose the school in NYC. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@HopefulLawyer97I mean, I'll be the first to admit I haven't bothered to look into Fordham at all. But five seconds of effort shows that this is in the intro to their wikipedia page:

According to Fordham University School of Law's 2014 ABA-required disclosures, 67.8% of the Class of 2014 obtained full-time, long-term, JD-required employment nine months after graduation.[4]

I'm pretty sure a lot more than 2/3rds of Oz students secure full-time legal employment within nine months of graduation...

Osgoode doesn't cost over $50k USD/year in tuition, either.

Also...

The law school was ranked # 21 of all law schools nationwide by the National Law Journal in terms of sending the highest percentage of 2015 graduates to the largest 100 law firms in the US (19.5%).[39]

Osgoode's BigLaw placement is a lot better than 19.5% as well.

Edited by CleanHands
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

@HopefulLawyer97I mean, I'll be the first to admit I haven't bothered to look into Fordham at all. But five seconds of effort shows that this is in the intro to their wikipedia page:

I'm pretty sure a lot more than 2/3rds of Oz students secure full-time legal employment within nine months of graduation...

Osgoode doesn't cost over $50k USD/year in tuition, either.

Also...

Osgoode's BigLaw placement is a lot better than 19.5% as well.

Here are stats that aren’t 6 years old and from Wikipedia:

https://www.fordham.edu/download/downloads/id/14558/Class_of_2019_at_10_months.pdf

1) This implies an 89% 10 month employment rate. 

2) Hiring at 500+ lawyer law firms according to this is 32-33%. 

Hiring at firms with 251-500 lawyers is roughly 9%.

So depending on what your parameters are for “big law,” these stats contradict yours.

Tuition cost means nothing if you don’t consider ROI:

ROI in terms of tuition and salary is similar  

Fordham:

160k median salary /150k tuition = 1.07

Osgoode:

110k salary (AT BEST) / 90k tuition = 1.22

Obviously paying a premium for being in NYC. Nature of the beast  

160,000USD (217k CAD) starting salary compared to $110,000CAD in Canada AT BEST. Even if these stats are inflated by say, 20%, still better. 

Going to school in NYC offers better career mobility than North York.

But Wikipedia. 

• Like 2

Okay, guys/gals. Since leafyleak hasn't specified a country of preference for future practice, let's not assume, likely incorrectly, that they want it to be in the U.S.  If you want to continue the debate, please take it to PM. Thanks.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Deadpool said:

You are going to turn down Western and Queen's to stay on the Osgoode waitlist? 

Don't. There are people who are still on the Osgoode waitlist from years ago. You may never hear back. Western and Queen's are great schools to attend. 

My two cents: I've not attended neither Osgoode nor Queen's, but I've visited both campuses, and I'd go to Queen's over Osgoode in a heart beat. That is my completely bias opinion. I don't know anything about UWO except that it's in London, but a law school that accepts you is always a better choice than one that wait lists you!

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, conge said:

My two cents: I've not attended neither Osgoode nor Queen's, but I've visited both campuses, and I'd go to Queen's over Osgoode in a heart beat. That is my completely bias opinion. I don't know anything about UWO except that it's in London, but a law school that accepts you is always a better choice than one that wait lists you!

No matter what you think about Queen’s campus, which I agree is nice, there’s no way that’s worth paying $30,000 extra over the cost of going to Osgoode.

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
Didn’t see erin’s post, removed comment on the Fordham v Queens debate

anyone know if those who get admitted off of the 'waitlist' will have a chance to defer their admission to next academic year?

3 minutes ago, Aries2019 said:

anyone know if those who get admitted off of the 'waitlist' will have a chance to defer their admission to next academic year?

There is a note on OASIS (before opening to your status page) that notes the deferral request deadline.

Just so people are aware, the Dean sent out an email containing the following today: 

“Incoming Class of 2023 

I am pleased to report that, as of yesterday, our incoming class – the Class of 2023 – is complete and is made up of more than 300 talented, diverse, accomplished and eager new law students. An enthusiastic student-run Orientation Committee, lead by O-Week Chairs Victor TurcanuSydney McIvor and Cory Soininenis busy developing an exciting events schedule to welcome the first-years. Orientation starts on August 27 and classes – predominantly online – will begin on August 31.“ 

It seems likely that no more movement from the Waitlist will occur. 

• Sad 3

Are we going to receive anything letting us know we're no longer under consideration?

2 minutes ago, Husns said:

@luckycharm

hahaha  maybe not then

I graduated from OZ back in 2015 and still waiting 

Edited by Luckycharm